DPP33 & Solo Node connection nightmare!

Time for an update. Satellite store seemed very confident that I should be able to install a Hopper 3 system myself and get it activated with a call to Dish without any issues. They gave me a quote for all of the equipment that I would need to buy, but they were about $200 higher than Solid Signal. So, before I make a purchase, I'll ask one more time:
  • Do you think that I should be able to self-install a Hopper 3 system, considering that I self-installed my current Hopper system?
  • Do you think that Dish will activate my Hopper 3 system without insisting on sending out a tech?
  • And a new question - is Solid Signal a reputable and recommended retailer?
Thanks in advance.

Solid Signal is a reputable retailer. I have made purchases from them with great customer service. Another retailer that you may want to consider is Dish Depot.
Thanks for the response. I've ordered the Hopper 3 system from Solid Signal (Dish Depot was more expensive on all items), and the customer service representative that I spoke with was helpful and nice. I'm eager to get the stuff and see how smoothly everything goes.

Thanks for the response. I've ordered the Hopper 3 system from Solid Signal (Dish Depot was more expensive on all items), and the customer service representative that I spoke with was helpful and nice. I'm eager to get the stuff and see how smoothly everything goes.
As long as you can point your dish(es) in correctly and cable it correctly, you can most definitely install it yourself. I think this thread has shown the various things you need to do that, so good luck!

Reactions: charlesrshell
  • Do you think that I should be able to self-install a Hopper 3 system, considering that I self-installed my current Hopper system?
Did you aim the dishes yourself? If so, then, yes. If not, good luck.

• Do you think that Dish will activate my Hopper 3 system without insisting on sending out a tech?
Depends on the CSR you contact. Have a suggestion . . . if possible, activate your Hopper 3 in New York. Then just take it with you. This would mean you would have to buy a dish, but it could save you a lot of hassle.

Is it normal for one to be working fine when located close to the Hopper, but not work when 50' away? Is it possible that it's not getting enough power when located further away (I thought about this when looking at the DPH42 and its power inserter)?
I think you may be on to something about the length of the cable between the receiver and the DPP33 switch being the problem. It is possible that the switch is not receiving enough power from the receiver at that distance, especially with a Solo Node in-between. Therefore, I have a couple of options that may help you with your problem.

Option #1: Add a Wally in the garage and connect it to port 1 of the DPP33. Connect the Solo Node to ports 2 and 3. You do not need to actually activate the Wally. It just needs to be hooked up in order to provide power to the switch. If you cannot get a Wally, any stand-alone Dish receiver should work for this purpose.

Option #2: Replace the DPP33 with a DPP44. Connect the power inserter to port 1. Connect the Solo Node to ports 2 and 3.

Either of these solutions should help you get your system up and running properly. Good Luck!