DPP44 and no 61.5...can't figure this one out

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Been having issues for the past month or so - but this time, I can't figure it out.

Back in April, we were upgraded to Eastern Arc. But the tech didn't have any 1000.4 dishes with him, so he set up 61.5 and 72.7 into our existing DPP44. It had issues every once and awhile (maybe every 3-4 weeks) where we would lose a sat. Doing a check switch always solved it.

A few weeks ago while I was away, signal went out on 61.5. Walked the rest of the family through check switch, reboot, etc, on the phone - nothing. Got a service call scheduled, it came back 2 days later (incidentally the day would be back to look at it - but before I did). Canceled the service call.

Last night, 61.5 dropped again. I've done a check switch, reboots, etc. Nothing. Swapped the port that 61.5 feeds to on the switch. Nothing. Connected 61.5 straight to the receiver - works fine! So it can't be the LNB.

I've determined it has to be the switch then. Both sats work fine when connected straight to the receivers. But going through the switch, 61.5 won't work, regardless of the port. What's stranger though is that if I run a check switch test, it comes back fine! Says reception is verified for both 61.5 and 72.7. However, if I go to the meter, it gets no signal on any 61.5 TP's (although occasionally gets low signal on TP25...?).

Anyone ever see something like this before? I got them to give me a free service call but they can't be here until Thursday. Right now I only have one TV that can get 61.5 channels as I've bypassed the switch. I'm going to ask them to replace everything with a 1000.4 if possible, because the original job wasn't done correctly by the retailer sent out, and I am missing sat 77 (not that there's anything I want on it). Eliminate a lot of potential problems that way. Hopefully they can do that.

Thanks.

Definitely ask for a 1k.4
In the meantime, is the power inserter plugged in? Dumb question, I know, but it happened to me several years ago. If it's plugged in, the 44 is probably shot.

Power inserter is plugged in, yes. I've also tried bypassing it and still get the same thing. Switch must be shot.

No idea if the power inserter is good or not - it doesn't seem any different than normal. I'll take a voltmeter to it and see if I can figure anything out.

Did you try using a different port on the switch for 61.5? Did you check the connectors for the 61.5 dish? In the past, I've seen ports go bad on a switch.

Yep, as previously mentioned, tried multiple ports - actually, tried 61.5 on all 4 ports - and they all work fine with 72 plugged in.

Haven't actually gone up to check the 61.5 dish, but that can't be the problem as when I barrel it straight to the receiver, it works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)