DPP44 & Eastern Arc Sats

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
The latest (2013) DPP44 switch manual recommends that sats 72.7 and 77 should be connected to the TO DISH PORT 4. BTW, the manual says 61.5 along with 110, 119, and 129 can connect to any of the DPP44 ports.

I knew 118.7 was supposed to connect to Port 4, but why the two Eastern Arc sats? What happens if you use the other ports for these sats?

The latest (2013) DPP44 switch manual recommends that sats 72.7 and 77 should be connected to the TO DISH PORT 4. BTW, the manual says 61.5 along with 110, 119, and 129 can connect to any of the DPP44 ports.

I knew 118.7 was supposed to connect to Port 4, but why the two Eastern Arc sats? What happens if you use the other ports for these sats?
I use port 1 for 118.7, and I do not have any problems, so I would guess there would be no problem with using other ports for the other satellites.

It should not matter which port you connect each LNB to. The check switch process will sort things out. If you change the LNB order on the switch ports then you'd need to run check switch again or the receiver(s) may have difficult finding one or more of the satellites.

I have 72 /61.5 and 110/118/119 with a DP44 switch. Obviously I can only get four satellites at a time with this set-up. Depending what I have in port 4 determines if I get 110 or 119. If I put 118 in port 4 I get 119. If anything else is in Port 4 I get 110. Nothing else is affected and otherwise any other order I have tried does not seem to make a difference.

Sounds like a swing dish setup. So that would make since. What is the wording.
"For 72.7W, 77W, 118.7W and 121W orbits, it is recommended that these orbits be connected to the To DISH Port 4 connection. Orbits 61.5W, 110W, 119W, and 129W can be connected to any open Dish port."

The FSS satellites were always recommended on port 4, although I never noticed a difference either.

Don't know how you would connect both 72 and 77 to port 4...:D

The FSS satellites were always recommended on port 4, although I never noticed a difference either.

Don't know how you would connect both 72 and 77 to port 4...:D
I'd like to see that too, LOL. When I was using eastern arc, I had 72 on port 1 and 61.5 on port 2. Never had any problems. On my current WA setup, I have 119 on 1, 110 on 2, and 129 on 3.

I think the recommended ports to connect for particular sats is more about convention and ease of quickly identifying with port is carrying which satellite if there are not labels instead of having someone (lost of Dish installers work alone these day) check the TV to verify which port is which satellite when it comes to whatever the tech call is about: troubleshooting or upgrading. It sure makes things easier and if a change out of reflector or LNBF that results in no longer having a need for, say 118, then it would be a NEAT appearance and neat and logical use of ports from an somewhat perfectionist engineers point of view just to have the last port unused and have the first ports for the legacy and forever owned sat positions, unlike 118, 129, and others, for example.

I, too, have had this and a previous switch with "recommended sat lines NOT in the preferred port, and it make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. I think this is more about "systematization" (?), doing thing in a neat and orderly fashion with logic being that ports 3 and 4 are for expansion sats just for the sake of having ORDER!

I think the recommended ports to connect for particular sats is more about convention and ease of quickly identifying with port is carrying which satellite . . .
If this was true, why would the DPP44 install manual essentially tell you to connect two sats (72.7 & 77) to one port (Port 4)?

If this was true, why would the DPP44 install manual essentially tell you to connect two sats (72.7 & 77) to one port (Port 4)?
Do you currently use, or have you used a DPP44 switch? Do you install them frequently, or have experience in their use? Reason I ask is, regardless what the manual says, many posters here that are experienced in using, living with, and installing these switches have told you it doesn't matter which port goes where.

Reactions: ChadT41
Do you currently use, or have you used a DPP44 switch? Do you install them frequently, or have experience in their use? Reason I ask is, regardless what the manual says, many posters here that are experienced in using, living with, and installing these switches have told you it doesn't matter which port goes where.
Yep, that's why I asked.
Well, sometimes TechWriters don't know what they are talking about.....:biggrin
Actually, that's what I suspect.;)

I think the recommended ports to connect for particular sats is more about convention and ease of quickly identifying with port is carrying which satellite if there are not labels instead of having someone (lost of Dish installers work alone these day) check the TV to verify which port is which satellite when it comes to whatever the tech call is about: troubleshooting or upgrading. It sure makes things easier and if a change out of reflector or LNBF that results in no longer having a need for, say 118, then it would be a NEAT appearance and neat and logical use of ports from an somewhat perfectionist engineers point of view just to have the last port unused and have the first ports for the legacy and forever owned sat positions, unlike 118, 129, and others, for example.

I, too, have had this and a previous switch with "recommended sat lines NOT in the preferred port, and it make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. I think this is more about "systematization" (?), doing thing in a neat and orderly fashion with logic being that ports 3 and 4 are for expansion sats just for the sake of having ORDER!

I think your right.

You just assume 119 is always in port 1

I personally like Directv better. Run 4 in to a SWM16 and it doesn't matter as long as you got the first 4 connected. Plus no check switch

Personally, I like my order better because of the way it appears on the Check Switch screen under "Details." I have 118 in port 1, 119 in port 2, 110 in port 3, and 129 in port 4. This keeps the Dual Band LNBs grouped together. I use Dual LNBs for 110 and 129, with the first output of the 110 LNB and the second output of the 129 LNB connected to the DPP44.

So, the "Details" screen shows:
118 Dual Band 1
119 Dual Band 2
110 Dual 1
129 Dual 2

I'm sure this will come as a shock, but the DISH DPP44 installation guide was wrong about how to hook up Eastern Arc sats to a DPP44.

I contacted the DISH tech pubs department and they sent me a PDF of the current 2013 manual. Also, they said that the Eastern Arc info was incorrect and would be removed in a future version.

I have the current 2013 DPP44 manual w/markup PDF here:
http://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/

I'm sure this will come as a shock, but the DISH DPP44 installation guide was wrong about how to hook up Eastern Arc sats to a DPP44.

I contacted the DISH tech pubs department and they sent me a PDF of the current 2013 manual. Also, they said that the Eastern Arc info was incorrect and would be removed in a future version.

I have the current 2013 DPP44 manual w/markup PDF here:
http://rvseniormoments.com/tech-docs/dish-tv-for-rvs/
Interesting, I thought Dish didn't support more than two Hoppers! Did Dish approve this RV Senior Moments web site?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)