DPP44 Problem

JoseOle

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Hi Guys, I have a question on my DPP44
Ok, first here is my install,
Dish 1000 with 119, 110, and 129, into DPP44 then 3 receivers, 625, 622, and 722.
Now here is my problem,
All has been fine for the past 9 months now every one or two days I will lose my signal on my (higher) channels like around 193, I really like the science channel :D, but all my other channels work fine. The signal is affected on both the standard and high def signals, and on all of my receivers. Now if I go down stairs and unplug the DPP44 for 1 second (take plug from outlet then immediately plug back in) the signal comes back by the time I run up the stairs again.
Because the problem is affecting all of the receivers and it is on both high and standard def and when I unplug the DPP44 and that fixes it, I am thinking that the problem is with the switch.
Am I wrong?

Thanks for taking a look. Any help is appreciated.

Channel 193 comes in from the 110. Here's an idea; try swapping input port 1 for port 2 at your DPP44. After doing this, run a checkswitch on ALL of your receivers. During the swap, take a look at both fittings and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary (specifically the dielectric not being flush with the "bottom" of the fitting). To me it sounds like it *may* be a suspicious fitting or flaky input port.

Channel 193 comes in from the 110. Here's an idea; try swapping input port 1 for port 2 at your DPP44. After doing this, run a checkswitch on ALL of your receivers. During the swap, take a look at both fittings and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary (specifically the dielectric not being flush with the "bottom" of the fitting). To me it sounds like it *may* be a suspicious fitting or flaky input port.

Just to clarify to the OP.... Input Port is referring to the ports that have the lines coming from the Dish itself... not the receivers.

Ok, I swapped ports 1 and 2. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if that did anything. I also checked the ends and they all look fine.

Here is something odd though,
I get up at 7:00 am and that is when I notice the problem. This morning, however, I left it alone (I did not reset the switch) and when I came home from work tonight it was working again, all by itself.

That seems kind of odd, don't you think?

Thanks for the ideas, I will let you know how it goes.

Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you know that this morning the channels came in fine, so I am not sure what swapping the 110 and 119 cables did but it worked for now.
Any thoughts as to why that worked?
I will let you know if the problem comes back.

Thanks for all of your help.

I have heard that 119 should be on port 1... I don't know or where I read this.. but I have seen it

119 on Port 1
110 on Port 2
129 on Port 3
148 on Port 4

It seems wierrd that you are loosing the higher channel numbers and not all of them.

have you tried connecting an LNB straight to your recievr?

Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you know that this morning the channels came in fine, so I am not sure what swapping the 110 and 119 cables did but it worked for now.

A possible problem may have been the length of the stinger. With the DPP44 I try to make the stingers a bit longer than I normally would with a groundblock or LNB. You just may have had an overly sensitive port, and with the swap it may have registered the different fitting better.

That's the one "joy" of this job...taking occasional shots in the dark.

Hi guys,

I wasn't telling you to swap the 119 and 110 ports.... but if it worked, and still works tomorrow, I would guess that your fittings just weren't tightened down and had worked themself loose enough to start to lose their connection. DNS has us trim the "stingers" on our cable so short that all it really takes is a 1/4 of a turn for a working connection to stop working.... if they aren't wrench snug, they will eventually start to work loose because of natural expansion and contraction.

I wasn't telling you to swap the 119 and 110 ports.... but if it worked, and still works tomorrow, I would guess that your fittings just weren't tightened down and had worked themself loose enough to start to lose their connection. DNS has us trim the "stingers" on our cable so short that all it really takes is a 1/4 of a turn for a working connection to stop working.... if they aren't wrench snug, they will eventually start to work loose because of natural expansion and contraction.

Actually, I mentioned it to the OP :)

I just wanted to let you guys know that everything is working fine so far, hopefully it continues that way from now on.

I would guess that your fittings just weren't tightened down and had worked themself loose enough to start to lose their connection. DNS has us trim the "stingers" on our cable so short that all it really takes is a 1/4 of a turn for a working connection to stop working.... if they aren't wrench snug, they will eventually start to work loose because of natural expansion and contraction.

My switch is inside the house so it is not subject to the constant change in temperature that quickly loosens most connections, however, before all of this I tried to unscrew and "reseat" the fittings to make sure that they were not loose but that did not fix it.
I was the one who installed the switch though so maybe the length of the stringers could have been involved. Like I said, hopefully this is all taken care of.

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)