DPP44 Switch/Signal Problem

B-Dub

Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Indiana
Hey guys, I am having a bit of trouble with my dish setup. I think I may have the answer to my question, but I would like some feedback. I have a 301, 211, and a 622 attached to a Dish 1000 using a DPP44 switch. The other evening, we experienced a terrible storm with alot of lightning. My main receiver, the 622 is hooked up to port 1 of the DPP44 with the power inserter. It was flashing in and out with signal, but the other 2 receivers worked fine. I shrugged, and blamed it on the weather. Yesterday, I turned the receiver on and had no signal, with no switch activity. It attempted to run 50 tests, when normally it would only do 4. I unhooked the 211 and tried to use it in place of the 622, thinking maybe it was a problem with the receiver. It would not work either. After trying that, I took the 211 back to its tv, and hooked it back up. When I got all of the receivers hooked back up like normal, I tried to do a check switch on all of the receivers. No signal to any of them. I am wondering if the switch has been cooked, or if I am looking at a damaged LNB. Any help would be appreciated. If you need any more info, just let me know.

Thanks,

B-Dub

You're on the right track, but it is difficult to tell where the problem is. It seems almost likely that your aim has gone away if you can still interact with the DPP44. When I had a pile of snow on my dishes last week, I was rewarded with 25 tests, so I wouldn't be so quick to assume an electronic problem.

After the switch test, it gives me no signal, and reverts itself to "no device detected" Even though it starts the 50 test, in the end, there is no switch detected. I have the dish marked with a sharpie to show aim location, and the dish has not physically moved.

I'd try barrelling together a feed from your dish to a receiver to check if your LNB's are all right. If that works, I'd recommend the DHPP to score a $29 service call to replace that DPP44.

I have swapped out LNB's, and have physically taken a receiver and power inserter out into the garage where the switch is, and hooked up a little 19 inch tv directly to the switch....It works just fine. If I take the receiver and inserter back into the house and hook it into wall outlet dish feed, it will not work...No signal. This is really starting to get to me. Is there any way that the switch could be bad, but still work when the receiver is hooked directly into it at the source? Is there some way that the coax that I personally ran myself, and have been using for the last 3 years has went bad or has been damaged? BTW, I do have a new switch on its way.

Is there some way that the coax that I personally ran myself, and have been using for the last 3 years has went bad or has been damaged?

Yes. If you have any spare RG-6 that's been swept to 2.25 GHz or more, you may just want to run a new line between your switch and receiver. Please tell me this is the type of cable you ran yourself originally... :D

Un-hook "ALL" coax from your DPP44 switch, mark them to make sure you put them back correctly. Now go to each receiver and remove the power cord of each receiver from the power outlet their connected to. Now go back to your DPP44 and connect all your coax back like before, now go back to each receiver and re-connect to power outlet. Once receivers are all powered back run a "Check Switch"......"Menu", "6", "1", "1", "Check Switch" ....do this on each receiver and then report back.

I have finally found the problem! For some reason there was something wrong with the coax that was running from the dpp44 to the 622, which is the port number 1 I had the power inserter ran into. After I did the steps above, and found no end to my torment, I got pissed and ran coax half way around my house, from the switch to the 622. After I found that the new cable allowed the power inserter to power the switch, I enjoyed cutting the ends off of the old coax and ripping that garbage out! What a pain in the tail! Thank you everyone for your help in this matter. I truly appreciate it!

It's too late for my reply, but any time you have a DishPro or DishProPlus setup, you shouldn't ever see a test that goes past 6 tests. If it does, then there is no communication between the switch and receiver. Since you had this problem on all receivers, I would have suggested a test jumper from the power inserter to the switch as it was pretty evident the switch wasn't getting its power. Wish I could have got here in time to save you all the headaches.