DPP44 vs DPP33 signal strengths

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
A couple weeks ago I replaced a DPP44 switch with a DPP33, since that will be all I need for the new Hopper/Joey architecture--and the DPP33 avoids the power inserter. Everything has been working fine since; however, when checking signal strengths today on all three HD DVRs, I noticed the strength readings were all about two points lower than they typically had been with the DPP44 switch. So I question whether the DPP44 had sent out a stronger signal--or maybe today the sun is causing a bit of interference. Any thoughts?

Dont know about a 44 putting out more than a 33, but the 44's power inserter may be the cause of that. But you won't need either switch with the hopper/joey, and you should make sure you have RG6 sweep-tested to 3 ghz for your hopper.

With only a 2 point difference on the meter, you will not notice any change in overall functionality. I'm guessing the power inserter may allow a little more signal to make it through though

... and you should make sure you have RG6 sweep-tested to 3 ghz for your hopper.

Will be using existing RG6 that would be impractical to replace in the house walls. (Walls, floors, and ceilings have solid insulation.) When the existing RG6 coax was manufactured 22 years ago, there was no requirement to test at today's higher frequencies. But Colorado has a dry climate which helps coax last, and this coax has been working well for VIP receivers which require about 2.2 GHZ.

To reduce the potential for any 3 GHZ attenuation issues using the older RG6, I will be installing the Duo Node at the coax patch panel in the house utility room rather than outside near the DPP33 switch. So, the longest runs will be between the DPP33 and the Duo Node. Those runs will not carry 3 GHZ signals. The only RG6 carrying the 3 GHZ signals will be on the shorter RG6 runs between the Node and the Hoppers. Even if this RG6 is not optimal for 3 GHZ signals, the attenuation over 30ft or less of cable between the Node and each Hopper should not be a problem. Am also using 3 GHZ barrel connectors throughout.

With only a 2 point difference on the meter, you will not notice any change in overall functionality. I'm guessing the power inserter may allow a little more signal to make it through though

Matt,

My thought, also. The only reason I look at the signals often is that the spotbeam for my Colorado Springs DMA HD locals (129 Transponder 2) is actually centered closer to New Mexico than my location in the mountains of Colorado, southwest of Denver. My location is on the fringe of that spotbeam footprint. From time to time Dish plays with transponder power; so, I keep an eye on signal strength--hoping Dish will do something to improve the power. As it is I have a 30-inch, dedicated wing dish for 129. And even with that larger dish and a lower-noise LNBF (one sold by Dish for use in Hawaii), that spotbeam signal strength is still only around 30. (But my neighbors with standard Dish installations have signal strengths for that transponder of only 15-18.)

Bob

Matt,

My thought, also. The only reason I look at the signals often is that the spotbeam for my Colorado Springs DMA HD locals (129 Transponder 2) is actually centered closer to New Mexico than my location in the mountains of Colorado, southwest of Denver. My location is on the fringe of that spotbeam footprint. From time to time Dish plays with transponder power; so, I keep an eye on signal strength--hoping Dish will do something to improve the power. As it is I have a 30-inch, dedicated wing dish for 129. And even with that larger dish and a lower-noise LNBF (one sold by Dish for use in Hawaii), that spotbeam signal strength is still only around 30. (But my neighbors with standard Dish installations have signal strengths for that transponder of only 15-18.)

Bob

Understood. Sometimes that extra couple points can make the difference I guess :)

Well, this morning signal strengths were back to "normal." I am starting to believe that it was indeed the active sun that was jamming my larger dish with the special low-noise LNBF. When I checked signal strengths early this morning, the sun was not yet in the sky. Will see what happens in a few hours when the sun will be aligned with the dish receive beam.

The third sat in line on the duo node will carry the 2150 to 3000 spectrum so if the lines will not carry 3ghz you will have a problem.

The third sat in line on the duo node will carry the 2150 to 3000 spectrum so if the lines will not carry 3ghz you will have a problem.
That's just wrong.

Its the line from the NODE (either type node) to the Hopper.

UPDATE: DPP33 was not the issue. Turns out the LNBF would not put out as strong of a signal once the LNBF warmed up during the day. I just swapped out the LNBF and signals are back to previous levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)