DPPlus LNB Question

FredC

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello all, a quick question for you. I put up a Dish 500 with a DPPlus dual LNB for a friend. I tried to connect one line from the LNB to the reciever, but would only hit 110. If I switched lines, I only hit 119. I used his 34 switch, and got both birds on one line. Pretty fair signal for Northern Wisconsin (90 on 119, trans 11).
I thought I could run a single line directly to the reciever without the switch. Now, I don't know his receiver model, but do know it does not have a dvr. Is it that its an older receiver and needs the 34 switch, or did I miss something? Thanks in advance! Fred

From the way it sounds you have a DishPro, not a dishpro plus Twin.
Yes DPP LNBF's will not work with DP34. If the Receiver has a DP symbol on it then it will work fine with the DPP(if that is what you have) or a DP Twin LNB without the switch. You don't need the switch anyway if 119 and 110 is all you want and you have only one receiver.

From the way it sounds you have a DishPro, not a dishpro plus Twin.
Yes DPP LNBF's will not work with DP34. If the Receiver has a DP symbol on it then it will work fine with the DPP(if that is what you have) or a DP Twin LNB without the switch. You don't need the switch anyway if 119 and 110 is all you want and you have only one receiver.

Well, the cover says DPPlus on the LNB, BUT it does work fine with the 34 switch. Even with one receiver, I could only get one sat or the other with one line. With the 34, I get both sats on one line. Are you as confused as me?

Dish Network says that a DP34 switch will not work with a Dish Pro Plus Twin because of power requirement. Some people in this forum have reported using that combination for over a year with no problems. So, it isn't a supported combination but if it works for you then great.

To your problem, when you run a line from the DPP Twin directly did you run check switch? You need to run check switch everytime you change the configuration.

Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch.

Please note that the proper name is DPP Twin. A dual sees only one satellite and has no DPP version (see link in my sig).

Also, do find out the receiver model. If it's legacy (4-digit model number), there needs to be another receiver connected to the DPP Twin. If there's just the one legacy receiver you're better off with a legacy Twin.

Thanks to all who answered!

I did the check switch a few times, no cable hooked up, the cable hooked up, etc. and I will check that receiver model numbewr. He may upgrade soon, so it may not matter, but it did have me confused.

Thanks again!

If you have a DPP Plus, it will work with most Legacy receivers going straight from the LNB to the receiver. If you have a DP receiver, straight from the LNB to the receiver (no need for the 34 switch) If you have a DP twin, you don't need the 34 switch-go straight from the LNB to the receiver. If it is a Legacy receiver and you are using a DP twin, you will need a DP adapter to work. If you have 2 DP Duals, hooking it up to the the 34 switch will work (unless it is a Legacy receiver which a DP adapter would be needed). If you have 2 legacy duals, you would need a sw21 switch. I hope this helps.

EZ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)