DPPTwin and receiver 301

tayaran

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
USA
I have a quick question for the members here. I have 2 dishes and a DPPtwin. So far I have been receiving programming on a single receiver 301. Now I am planning to run a second 301 in a different room. Is there a way to split the signals so I can route them to both receivers, if not, what other method is better? thanks

Yep, two cables for two 301's, or you could get a dual tuner, like the 322, then you could just hook it up the way it is now with the one cable. You would just have to run a new cable from the receiver to the second TV.

You need to run a separate coax from the lnb to the receiver. You cannot split the existing line.

which dish should I get the 3rd coax from? also I am assuming that I would need some kind of a switch? or should I run it to the 301 2nd receiver directly? thanks for your help

Thanks for the help. Another question, is I want to run a 3rd 301 receiver, can I do it? if yes what should I do? is this the time to use the dp34 switch?

Last edited:
What bross said "Run it directly from the other output of the DPP twin to the receiver." Or find out where the second run going to the house. You have two lines run and only one receiver hooked up. You don't need a separate switch.
Hi Garys, you are right I have 2 coming in the house for 2 receivers, I need to get a 3rd receiver working, any recommendations? would a dp34 switch work or am I better off getting a quad pro dpp LNB? thanks for the help.

Your 3rd receiver is going to need a DP34 switch if not a DP quad, and (best practice) a DP twin rather than the DPP twin. (Some say the DPP twin will work fine in this scenario, but you will have to unhook that wing dish coax and run it to your switch rather than the DPP twin. An alternative would be two DP duals to go on the Y adapter on your Dish 500. BTW - you didn't mention whether you have a Dish 500 or not, nor at what your 2nd dish is pointed.

Anyhow, you need one coax per satellite location cabled up to a DP34, and then you can hook up any combination of 4 DishPro tuners on the outputs of the DP34. A single DP34 can only service 4 tuners, so that's no more than a DP quad. But the DP34 can be cascaded via passthrough to as many as 2 more DP34s, or a DPP33, or a DPP44. You can really go crazy with multiple receives by cascading these switches.

BTW - I do not think a DPP quad exists...

Your 3rd receiver is going to need a DP34 switch if not a DP quad, and (best practice) a DP twin rather than the DPP twin. (Some say the DPP twin will work fine in this scenario, but you will have to unhook that wing dish coax and run it to your switch rather than the DPP twin. An alternative would be two DP duals to go on the Y adapter on your Dish 500. BTW - you didn't mention whether you have a Dish 500 or not, nor at what your 2nd dish is pointed.

Anyhow, you need one coax per satellite location cabled up to a DP34, and then you can hook up any combination of 4 DishPro tuners on the outputs of the DP34. A single DP34 can only service 4 tuners, so that's no more than a DP quad. But the DP34 can be cascaded via passthrough to as many as 2 more DP34s, or a DPP33, or a DPP44. You can really go crazy with multiple receives by cascading these switches.

BTW - I do not think a DPP quad exists...

So if I understood you correctly, I would disconnect the cable coming from the wing dish (96.1 I believe) to the DppTwin, connect it to the dp34, and then connect the outputs of the Dpp Twin to the dp34? and yes I do have a dish500. Thank you.

Exactly right. Your wing dish is probably the same as mine at 61.5. You can get your receiver to tell you this on the System Info screen.

Also note that Dish dual-tuner receivers are $5 cheaper per month than two single-tuner receivers. So in other words, if you acquired a 322 rather than two 301's, you will eventually (if not immediately) come out ahead and also not need that DP34. (The DPP twin can feed 2 dual-tuner receivers.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)