DRA Down?

I wouldn't be confessing to that. :)

We're talking about Dish Remote Access (dish.sling.com) here and that doesn't seem to be working.

Dish Remote Access not working on PC last night and this morning. I agree with other comments that DRA is better than Dish Anywhere; at least on PC...The ability to control the remote with hot keys on the key board would make the product much better. Or better yet some sort of remote you could plug into the USB on a PC...

There have been other DRA outages in the past. I think that they only lasted a day or two...but I really can't remember exactly. However, in the past, I do not remember seeing the connection reset error that I am seeing now.

I also prefer DRA over Dish Anywhere. As I said before, I hope that Dish did not finally eliminate DRA as they have been threatening to do for a long time now!

There have been other DRA outages in the past. I think that they only lasted a day or two...but I really can't remember exactly. However, in the past, I do not remember seeing the connection reset error that I am seeing now.

I also prefer DRA over Dish Anywhere. As I said before, I hope that Dish did not finally eliminate DRA as they have been threatening to do for a long time now!

Thanks Tony. Like was said before, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

This sucks. I will never order movies from DishAnywhere and view them on my PC, particularly since most of them cost money. So in my case, Dish is not getting any more revenue from me by forcing me onto DishAnywhere. :p If I'm going to pay money to see a movie, I'm going to view it on my TV, or better. I think those who pay for movies on their PCs are not thinking very clearly. ;)

This would all be fixed if Dish gave us a standalone DRA sling client for PCs, with no connection to Dish servers. Even DRA access is cumbersome, and my opinion of the DishAnywhere website is unprintable. Let's just say I never go there. At all. Ever.

Why is Dish rolling downhill on Sling services like this?

Last edited:
I don't understand why everyone dislikes dishanywhere.com so much. I haven't had any issues with it and I don't order movies on my PC either. I have no problems when I view on demand content or content with my sling adapter or built in sling. I use Chrome and have a good up/down speed and don't have problems and really don't find it that difficult to use. I think the way the site is layed out is easy to understand and pretty simple to use.

I don't understand why everyone dislikes dishanywhere.com so much. I haven't had any issues with it and I don't order movies on my PC either. I have no problems when I view on demand content or content with my sling adapter or built in sling. I use Chrome and have a good up/down speed and don't have problems and really don't find it that difficult to use. I think the way the site is layed out is easy to understand and pretty simple to use.

I have no problems with it either. When they first started it I had an issue where it would always say my receiver was offline even when DRA would work. For the last 6 or 7 months I have been using it all the time without issue though. I think they have fixed the instability problems that were there at the beginning.

Like I said in the other thread, DA is still less reliable than DRA was. I occasionally get timeouts trying to skip/resolve conflicts, can't see total DVR usage, and it doesn't refresh well when there is heavy conflict management going on. It may work well for sling viewing, but it is painfui to use for timer/conflict management.

1) DA doesn't fit my screen size. I've got to full screen my browser to see the top panel because it has no horizontal scroll.
2) I use Firefox and if I leave it running in it's own tab the browser locks up for about 10 seconds very, very often.
3) The Live TV window is too big and can't be sized down.
4) When selecting 'Guide' it loads the whole guide, which can take a while, which also freezes the browser.
5) Works really, really slow on older computers.
6) I can't get it to play Live TV or DVR recordings with either Chrome or IE. It plays fine with Firefox but not the others. It acts like it's playing and even shows the bitstream figures, just no audio or video.

And I'm sure there's more...

When DRA was working I had it as one of my App Tabs and just left it there all the time. That way I could easily see that all three receivers were on line, check timers, etc., etc. Can't do that anymore, in fact in the few minutes I've had DA open while making this post it has frozen the browser twice for more than 10 seconds each time.

Not jumping on you Lucky but you did ask. :)

Can DishAnywhere play BB@home rentals? Can it resume a show you started earlier? Does it come up in seconds for you, or does it take forever and require mousing around to find your stuff? To call it "cumbersome" is being too kind!

I just use my Hava Platinum, even though it's SD. It has a virtual remote with ALL functions, it allows me to record shows to my PC in DVD quality, and best of all, it does not require an Internet connection at all! My Sling Adapter is just a heater to me now. I bought it to do what my Hava does, only in HD. But with all the DishAnywhere website and browser/player encryption and overhead, I can't even use it in HD anyhow on my somewhat retro PCs. I should just sell the darn thing and stop stressing about how crappy it is.

Last edited:
The one question I can answer is that I was pleasantly surprised when I started a DVR event the other day on Dish Anywhere and a banner appeared beneath the screen asking if I wanted to start from the beginning as the new default was to resume from last played.