Dreambox?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

boom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
NJ
I've been toying with the idea of getting an AzBox so I could tune 4:2:2 feeds, and got sidetracked reading something about the DreamBox. A forum search here didn't yield much, if any, information.

Is the Dreambox a clone of the AzBox? It can do 4:2:2/blind scan/s2?

Basically, what's the difference between the two, and is one recommended over the other?

if this has been discussed before, I apologize, but couldn't find anything...

Thanks!

Is the Dreambox a clone of the AzBox? It can do 4:2:2/blind scan/s2?

I will save you the chore of searching, the answer is NO, no Dreambox model can receiver 4:2:2

the 600 kinda has blindscan, but honestly it only works for universal lnb's and it doesnt work right. Its also one of the very few closed src parts of the box so there is nothing we can do to fix it. Other dreambox's dont have blindscan at all.

no dreambox supports 4:2:2, but you can stream the video to vlc on the computer and watch it there.

the dm800/8000/500hd all support dvb-s2

I love my dreambox's, Ive got an 800 and 7000 that run 24/7 and 4x 500's that occasionally get used. They are great box's and open source, so if there is something you dont like, fix it. no waiting for others. The only parts that arent opensrc are the actual kernel modules for the tuner, everything else your welcome to. There are lots of clones floating around though, I wouldnt recommend them to a beginner as they require alot more technical finess, stick to genuine (hint the dm500 hasnt been manufactered in years, they are all clones on the market)

the dm800/8000/500hd all support dvb-s2

but but the answer as to does it do blind scan S2 hardware or software ? needs an answer please ? i am not interested in the 500 but i would like to know about the dm800 .. thanks in advance

I answered that in the post above.

No dreambox satellite receiver has blindscan, the dm600 is supposed to have hardware blindscan but the closed src app they provide is so broken its basically useless.

As I've been testing Dreambox DM800 HD and DM500HD (not to be confused with the older SD DM500 model) for the past few months, I'll wade in here.First I'll mention that on UpdateLee's recommendation, I updated to "PLI" software, a NON-HACK alternative software for Dreamboxes. This provided subtle but necessary improvements to the receiver and these recommendations are based on using PLI software.Based on this, I can recommend the Dreambox for DVB-S2 feeds (particularlly NBC) on C-band. It seems to do DVB-S2 better than any other receiver on the market (and I say this based on known analog-output problems with the AZbox, a multitude of problems with Pansat 9200, and ditto for Coolsat 8000).That said, the genuine Dreambox is expensive (about $500) and there are a number of missing features: 422, Blindscan (NONE), and the satellite/channel interface is "unusual" to put it politely. Also, there is no "signal" or "quality" indicator while you are scanning for channels, which makes it harder than most other brands to know if you're scanning correctly.The official reseller, and perhaps the only place in the U.S. or Canada to get a genuine Dreambox, is here:www.ishopdream.com--Gary

Dreams

I have several Dreamboxes, never saw a need for Blind Scan with them... I use an external meter with all of my receivers so lacking a meter never bothered me. I have used PLi for several years and with the right sat.xml file it would be hard to beat on C-Band or Ku-Band... Dreamboxes are not for the faint of heart they require some learning curves. They are by no means plug and play but if you are interested in actually LEARNING something then it's a good choice. As for Dreamboxes being a clone of the Azbox that really got a chuckle from me. The answer to that is NO because Dreambox has been on the market for years, long before most receivers we know. If anything can be said Azbox kinda copied a lot of Dreambox features. I see things talked about on forums as if it just happened. Dreambox owners have been enjoying a lot of these so called New features for many years. Don't take me wrong I am not slamming the Azbox, I think it's a fine receiver for what it is. Someone once said it was basically a re-packaged Dreambox 800 with a few added treats. I don't know personally, never owned an Azbox. However, I have owned Pansats, Coolsats, Neusats, Unidens, Houston Trackers, GI's and some Twinhan junk and several other receivers over the years. I would say Dreams are by far the best receivers I have at this time but would add I really like Coolsats.

Dreamboxes are picky about certain equipment and don't like some switches. That said, we have to keep in mind it was designed to be used in European Nations where they are very well thought of.

I can't imagine life without blindscan. How do you get all your TP info in to the receiver? Do you hand key in every change that comes along?
I do, it doesnt take that long.

I own one blindscan receiver, the fortec mercury II, and excellent receiver, but I havent used it in over a year. I just find things with the spectrum analyzer, use a few tricks to get the SR and modulation then enter them into whatever other receiver Im using at the time.

I find its really fast to look at a spectrum image and compare it to an old one, I can find new tp at the blink of an eye.

DBEdit

I can't imagine life without blindscan. How do you get all your TP info in to the receiver? Do you hand key in every change that comes along?

Most of the time the tp scan grabs all the info but if it misses something...I just add it using DBEdit...

Example Galaxy 19 I think it is...memory isn't what it used to be...but at any rate, my 7020 scans that sat and doesn't miss any channels as far as I know...

If it does miss something then it's no big deal to add it through DBEdit..

Something to note, most current Sat.xml files has the sat information already there. All that is needed is a scan and you are good to go...

Where a lot of people go wrong with Dreambox is the type of hardware they use such as switches or lnbs. Another factor that plays in almost every time is the fact people expect it to be plug and play. It isn't! It's a true Linux Box and needs someone to learn how to use it correctly. I am by no means an expert with Dreambox but I did learn somethings. From reading on other forums most people make simple mistakes such as placing a file in the wrong area. That causes them problems which in turn they blame the box for. For over a week on another forum they tired to explain the correct location for the sat.xml file and how to replace it correctly to some bloke....He in turn thought his box was junk. It wasn't his box it was him....He just didn't understand simple instructions...So he blamed his box...I've found if it can't be done with other receivers it can be done with a Dreambox. By using it along with a computer it can do anything other receivers can do and a lot other receivers can't do....It's just a question of learning how to do it! :)

Take for example the little Dreambox 500 so many people will say it's an old outdated box...The funny thing is that little 500, will do things most current receivers on the market can't do...Dreamboxes imho where years ahead of the all other receivers out there. The only mistake they made was making them a box people had to learn...Most people just want plug and play...They don't care to learn anything and they don't really understand Real FTA. They never consider everything involved nor do they care to learn.

Last edited:
Dreambox not THAT hard to use!

I'll disagree with Ironside about Dreambox not being 'plug and play.' I had never used one before and I got NBC-HD (-S2) in less than 30 minutes. The second time I set one up in under 10 minutes. You do not NEED to load any extra files or anything like that to make it work! Lack of blindscan makes DM800 a poor choice for your "only" -S2 receiver. I blindscan on the Pansat 9200HD. But if I want the video to come in reliably, I dial it into the Dreambox after the Pansat finds it ;-) The lack of on-screen S&Q indicators is a bigger deal than Ironside makes it. An external meter won't (usually) tell you if you have the right frequency and s/r entered, just that you have signal... and on some satellites (AMC-1 Ku for example), a meter that sees all the frequencies at once says there is NO signal when you're pointed precisely at the satellite (at least for me). --Gary

One plus for dreambox is we have a very strong following. There is alot of great forums out there with some great users on them always willing to help those that want to learn. Just take a look around pli's wiki for example. An amazing resource all created by users for other users.

I love my dreambox and can't really see myself buying another stb that didn't run enigma ( the GUI dreambox runs )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)