Droid sales not too good

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, when the average buyer comes and sees all the extra fees vzw is trying to tack on, it just has to scare some away.

Different tiers for Exchange email support, tethering fees, navigator, etc. Many people do not realize you do not need to pay for these features.

hardly an issue for Verizon. The Droid was more make of break for Motorola. Verizon has Eris at 99 dollars which they will sell a bunch this holiday season, and the HTC Passion or whatever they are going to call it next month.

Must be do to Verizon now charging DOUBLE the cancellation fees, that will keep em away.

wow there is A LOT of misinformation in this thread...first Verizon sold OVER 100,000 droids, how much did wal mart, best buy, amazon, and all third party retailers sell, I know someone who sold 75 droids the first day and he is a third party retailer I bet you will see alot more. Also if we are going to compare to the iphone lets also throw in the droid eris as its the cheaper verison of the google phone, which I am sure sold pretty well. Also what extra fees is verizon throwing in? a 30 dollar data fee? Navigation is free (in fact vz nav dosent even run on the droid) Exchange email is included with the 30 dollar data fee, and tethering is a extra charge no matter what carrier you go to.. OH and the doubling cancellation fees dosent start till the 12th so that cant be it...and also if you arent willing to live out a contract then maybe you should stay away...people like someone I know who has had verizon 5 times this year and swtiched back to att 5 times to get the iphone and has made money EVERY time is the reason for the etf going up. Its a contract people, live up to it :)

The problem is that why would you go out and buy a Ford Crown Victoria (Droid) when you can get a Cadillac (Iphone) instead for around the same price?

The fact of the matter is that the Iphone is a great phone, and there is only a few reasons why someone would choose the Droid over the Iphone...

#1 You owe AT&T Money over a past bill
#2 Your stuck in a contract with Verizon and don't want to pay a cancellation Fee
#3 Your area has crappy coverage for AT&T
#4 Your loyal to Verizon, or like some feature better on the droid than the Iphone.

I got a regular Verizon line, but got an Iphone anyways as a new line because I like the features and the fact that it does just about everything my laptop has. I actually like talking on my Verizon line better than on my Iphone.

Instead of Verizon trying to build a better phone to compete with the Iphone, they should focus instead on talking to Apple and getting them to build a version of the Iphone that works with their network after the exclusive contract with AT&T expires next year.

Its the same thing as Sunday Ticket on Directv and DISH Network. Sure DISH Networks has the NFL Redzone, but it aint the Sunday Ticket. You want the Sunday Ticket you need to get Directv.

How many people have Directv and hate it, but put up with it just for the Sunday Ticket?

How many people have AT&T because they have the Iphone?

The second Verizon gets the Iphone, then their problem with Churn for people leaving to AT&T will end and if they come out with a "Better" or improved Iphone, they will get those customers back when they want to get a deal on an upgrade.

The Verizon doubling of the cancellation fees will not stop the bleeding, people will pay the cancellation fee if they want out bad enough!

wow there is A LOT of misinformation in this thread...first Verizon sold OVER 100,000 droids, how much did wal mart, best buy, amazon, and all third party retailers sell, I know someone who sold 75 droids the first day and he is a third party retailer I bet you will see alot more. Also if we are going to compare to the iphone lets also throw in the droid eris as its the cheaper verison of the google phone, which I am sure sold pretty well. Also what extra fees is verizon throwing in? a 30 dollar data fee? Navigation is free (in fact vz nav dosent even run on the droid) Exchange email is included with the 30 dollar data fee, and tethering is a extra charge no matter what carrier you go to.. OH and the doubling cancellation fees dosent start till the 12th so that cant be it...and also if you arent willing to live out a contract then maybe you should stay away...people like someone I know who has had verizon 5 times this year and swtiched back to att 5 times to get the iphone and has made money EVERY time is the reason for the etf going up. Its a contract people, live up to it :)

Don't get so uptight, it's just a discussion.

Fees wise, I was going by what I read online and from first had experience with a co-worker about the fees that Verizon stores are tacking on to consumers:

$30 Unlimited data plan... this is expected by many except it's not unlimited, it's reported they limit it to 5gb like the mifi cards etc then start charging overage fees. I can't believe it's true, the same info went around about sprint, but it was confused with the data card limits, not phone limits.

Reports of a $30 Tethering fee above the normal monthly charges and I didn't even think tethering was offered yet from vzw on the droid. Again, we all know that the sufficiently motivated will tether whether it's allowed or not and with apps like PDAnet, we're not going to pay for the privilege of tethering

$15 or more for the Exchange email account sync service, what I don't get here is that the $30 data plan does exchange just fine, but in the TOS with vzw, it's not included and you are to be charged extra for the software service. *Just did some reading over at verizon website, this fee is for enterprise customers only, but reps are mistakenly adding it to the consumer accounts it seems.

Regardless of navigator being on the droid or not, people have reported seeing a charge for it on their bills and online account activity

Are these fees a business billing goof? Misinformed reps at the stores? Will Verizon make good to the people who have been charged accidentally? Would ATT/Sprint/etc without a bunch of hassle to the customer?

Maybe all this stems from verizon's contract wordings and lots of confusion. I've heard the verzion customer service is top notch, so I'm sure customers can call to get clarification, but I think the reps at the stores are confused or weren't trained.

I'm not bashing verizon, just basing my statement on what I have read and what I know a co-worker was told the fees would be when he got a Droid. He respectfully declined all the extras knowing it was not necessary, but unsuspecting people will just pay. ATT has their own extra fees and every cell company that I have dealt with has business account fees over consumer account charges.

Bottom line to me: I want the droid to succeed, I want all android phones to just evolve and blow the others away. The platform has such promise and I just don't want people to be scared away.
*one more edit:
Yes, I agree, it's not being reported properly cause I don't believe it takes into account authorized retailers sales yet.

Last edited:
I help a Droid in a PC Richards and it seemed really great. I just saw another droid commercial as I am writing this. Bottom line is that when you want to over take a phone like the iphone, you have to come in with a lower price. Maybe Verizon will lower the price after the initial hype is over. Hopefully that time comes soon.

One of the issues I saw was Verizon's marketting campaign was awful. Most people (outside the techie community) had no clue at all what the commercials were about. When I'd show people at work the phone they would figure it out... "That's the thing about the jets shooting things?" :rolleyes:

I think the idea was good with the I-don't campaign, but the ending didn't give any one a clue what it actually was or could do. For example, why not show people using the voice searches? Why not show the GPS navigation that is free? Instead they hype it up in the commercial, would show a teaser of the screen with the droid eye, then the commercial ended.

-Mike

The problem is that why would you go out and buy a Ford Crown Victoria (Droid) when you can get a Cadillac (Iphone) instead for around the same price?

The fact of the matter is that the Iphone is a great phone, and there is only a few reasons why someone would choose the Droid over the Iphone...

#1 You owe AT&T Money over a past bill
#2 Your stuck in a contract with Verizon and don't want to pay a cancellation Fee
#3 Your area has crappy coverage for AT&T
#4 Your loyal to Verizon, or like some feature better on the droid than the Iphone.

I got a regular Verizon line, but got an Iphone anyways as a new line because I like the features and the fact that it does just about everything my laptop has. I actually like talking on my Verizon line better than on my Iphone.

Instead of Verizon trying to build a better phone to compete with the Iphone, they should focus instead on talking to Apple and getting them to build a version of the Iphone that works with their network after the exclusive contract with AT&T expires next year.

Its the same thing as Sunday Ticket on Directv and DISH Network. Sure DISH Networks has the NFL Redzone, but it aint the Sunday Ticket. You want the Sunday Ticket you need to get Directv.

How many people have Directv and hate it, but put up with it just for the Sunday Ticket?

How many people have AT&T because they have the Iphone?

The second Verizon gets the Iphone, then their problem with Churn for people leaving to AT&T will end and if they come out with a "Better" or improved Iphone, they will get those customers back when they want to get a deal on an upgrade.

The Verizon doubling of the cancellation fees will not stop the bleeding, people will pay the cancellation fee if they want out bad enough!

Churn? verizon is still number one and they where number one before they bought Alltel. They have a low churn rate with soooooooooo many corporate accounts.

I Chose the Storm2, and I am not disappointed at all. This coming from someone passed on the storm 1 and stuck with AT&T for the iphone..I was just waiting to see if the next storm was worth buying and I love it.

It is all about taste. My wife would never give up her Iphone, I liked it, but I am a CRACKBERRY nut, along with loving the touch screen technology, it was just a matter of waiting, because to me a blackberry is perfect adding working touch screens to those makes it a no brainer to me..

THe Droid, I just hate the keyboard, and it felt really really cheap to me.

Another analyst has estimated that there were 400K Droids sold over the weekend. If this estimate is true then things aren't so gloomy. It still wouldn't be a great start but it would be significantly better.

sounds to me like there are a few sour iphone owners in this thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Perhaps some are but I'm just comparing the reality verses the hype. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Personally, I think that the exclusive deal between AT&T and Apple has spurred a lot of great new development and innovation - something that wouldn't have happened as much if everyone had access to the iPhone from the beginning. In the long run, everyone will benefit.

the reason why why Iphone is exclusive to AT&T is that it is a GSM phone period. Tm-mobile's coverage in the U.S. is like a dot on a map. Why would Apple make a few handsets for CDMA when the worlds majority is on GSM.
It is rumored that the next IPhone will be compatible with both CDMA and GSM.
Only time will tell. I personally have an Iphone, however, I have been with At&t since 1998 after ditching Sprint. I have had several Motorola products in the past like the Startac, V600, V551 and the V3 RAZR and they all had crappy battery life except for the Startac. I therefore would never by a Motorola phone again. I am very happy with my Iphone 3G and don't have any plans on buying another phone in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)