Droid X Gingerbread woes

How do you install the update if your phone has been rooted? I used the Z4 root.

Those no longer work for Gingerbread.

I followed the instructions from Droid Forums: Official Thread: Official Gingerbread Rooted! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

You have to be a 2.3.340 rooted, installed Droid 2 Bootstrap (yes, I said Droid 2, the DX one does not work), install the bootstrap, download the 2 parts of the rooted gingerbread update, copy them to your SD Card, reboot into Recovery from D2 Bootstrap, install both parts, and voila, you have rooted Gingerbread cookies. :)

Just follow the directions exactly. It was pretty easy. did not have to do a wipe/delete. Surprising actually.

Maybe I should rename the thread of Woes to Wows; totally amazed by the speed and INCREASED battery life on the DX. I have been going TWO days without charging. Did that twice. Unheard of. I'll admit I run it with display pretty low but I used to run the display low before.

But since wireless tether is still DOA, I'll keep the title. :)

its crazy how some of the older devices as of todays date can do more and outperform the newer devices...I am sure it all has to do with software programming and how they seem to always be catching up to the hardware, but its still mind boggling to me somedays.

Funny that less than a year old, the DX is a dinosaur. :) Seriously, Gingerbread optimizes it, and makes full use of the 1GHz processor. Yeah, it does not have dual core processors, but I am getting 1600 on the quadrant standard benchmark; and this is basically rooted stock.

I am tempted to install Liberty, if just to get rid of the STUPID and TOTALLY ANNOYING blue-tinge from Blur. But right now this thing is flying.

Maybe I should rename the thread of Woes to Wows; totally amazed by the speed and INCREASED battery life on the DX. I have been going TWO days without charging. Did that twice. Unheard of. I'll admit I run it with display pretty low but I used to run the display low before.

But since wireless tether is still DOA, I'll keep the title. :)

When they fix wifi tether ill look into it.
I am getting a day out of mine now which is far more than I have ever gotten out of a phone. I do use mine alot during the day as all of our customers call me on it as well as my personal calls.

When they fix wifi tether ill look into it.
I am getting a day out of mine now which is far more than I have ever gotten out of a phone. I do use mine alot during the day as all of our customers call me on it as well as my personal calls.

I can't believe wi fi tether hasn't been fixed yet.

My wife's DX is still on Froyo, and I'm keeping it on Froyo as long as I can, so I can tether during our road trip in a few weeks. :)

So, I now have gingerbread on two phones -- my kid has been begging to upgrade from his Treo to my old original Droid. Tonight I let him, but first I wanted to do a factory reset, so I figured, if I am wiping it, might as well find a new rom for him -- and Pete has a stable Gingerbread for the OG Droid. Its running pretty well. I'll put quadrant on it later to see how fast it is. Plus, since its NOT a Verizon rom, I can set IT up to tether when I need. :D

So, I now have gingerbread on two phones -- my kid has been begging to upgrade from his Treo to my old original Droid. Tonight I let him, but first I wanted to do a factory reset, so I figured, if I am wiping it, might as well find a new rom for him -- and Pete has a stable Gingerbread for the OG Droid. Its running pretty well. I'll put quadrant on it later to see how fast it is. Plus, since its NOT a Verizon rom, I can set IT up to tether when I need. :D

Did you overclock it? With the Chevy Kernels I got great speed and good battery life when I had the Milestone. Id hit around 1600 with the OG with that setup and it was stable. That was runnign 2.2. Id be interested in what it could do with 2.3

Did you overclock it? With the Chevy Kernels I got great speed and good battery life when I had the Milestone. Id hit around 1600 with the OG with that setup and it was stable. That was runnign 2.2. Id be interested in what it could do with 2.3

I thought about it, but didn't do it. Plus, Pete's gingerbread rom is pretty slimmed down; it didn't even include gmail or google maps, I'd need to install setcpu and other stuff for it, and the boy really doesn't care. He is just thrilled he has a "Droid" :D And if I hear that "Droid!" notification one more time - since it goes off EVERY time he receives a text -- I might go crazy. :)

And if I hear that "Droid!" notification one more time - since it goes off EVERY time he receives a text -- I might go crazy. :)
Every time I hear that, I want to walk up to the person and ask "just got a droid, huh ? I bet you're dying to know how to change that stupid notification sound, aren't ya?". You know damn well they don't know how .... or then again, maybe they think they're cool now and want people to know "I got a droid".

Every time I hear that, I want to walk up to the person and ask "just got a droid, huh ? I bet you're dying to know how to change that stupid notification sound, aren't ya?". You know damn well they don't know how .... or then again, maybe they think they're cool now and want people to know "I got a droid".
My son and I LOVE the DROID sound.. It slaps the i phone drones in the face! DROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part of it is the latter, I think; he is very proud of the fact that HE has a Droid! (Of course he'd be equally proud of an iPhone). Both are 13-year old status symbols. If I really wanted to embarras him I should have put all the R2D2 stuff on it. :D

But I suspect in a few days he'll tire of the droid notification. I still have it JUST for when I get texts from my wife, but most of the time my phone is silent anyways! :)

Part of it is the latter, I think; he is very proud of the fact that HE has a Droid! (Of course he'd be equally proud of an iPhone). Both are 13-year old status symbols. If I really wanted to embarras him I should have put all the R2D2 stuff on it. :D

But I suspect in a few days he'll tire of the droid notification. I still have it JUST for when I get texts from my wife, but most of the time my phone is silent anyways! :)
Mine is on silent also but when it's not. Or when a friend has a iphone. lol

I hated doing it, but I enabled the mobile hotspot for my trip this week. Ten hours in the car today, and I did not want to be stuck using just the phone when not driving.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts