Drop locals package

man00

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
When I drop the local stuff will I still be able to use the Hopper to record local channels from my OTA?

When I drop the local stuff will I still be able to use the Hopper to record local channels from my OTA?
Yes. You are limited to only viewing/recording one or two channels at a time depending on the model of the OTA tuner you have, but DVR functions remain the same. Some people have even reported success with Autohop (Commercial skip on some primetime shows) but I cant attest to that since I don't record anything from my locals.

Some people have even reported success with Autohop (Commercial skip on some primetime shows) but I cant attest to that since I don't record anything from my locals.
Yup; I don't record much from my OTA commercial locals, but when I do, Autohop does work after the obligatory delay. An exception: the recent Olympics. But that's sports so I understand there is no Autohop for them. Either that or the delay is longer than a day.
I'm just doing that and having several guide issues - described here: Houston OTA Channel 11 - no guide
Having a correct guide is another issue. I have a correct guide on most of my 64 channels. But for some channels like your channel 11, it may be missing. You can still record, but you would have to set a timer.

That's what I am doing. Autohop works as before and at least in this market the guide is correct. Two things to know: The tuner is not as sensitive as some so it helps to have a good outside antenna. Also, the two tuner OTA limit may sometimes get in the way if two shows are recording and someone tries to watch a third OTA channel. If you have your recording set to record for a few minutes after the show ends sometimes these tuner limits are unexpected.

I have seen reports by some that guide info disappears if you drop locals and have only OTA. And, at least for the locals in Vegas, the OTA programming info is (1) stale - the channel info listed on the guide isn't the right channel and for some the right one appears on a different one and (2) may not show any programming at all - e.g., here in Vegas, my OTA guide for 8-1 (CBS) OTA only says "CBS" for each hour slot while the locals from dish (8-0) show full program info. Many of the "dot subchannels" are incorrect and list no programming. It's hard to set up timers with this gap of info which is why we keep the locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)