Dropped cable for Dish, now have issues

Sent1

Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
northwest
Hello, first timer here.:hatsoff:

Bought an HP 7750n media center PC right after Vista came out. Upgraded video and doubled the RAM for HDTV on cable. Never had any issues. We really love how media center works as well as the features and convenience of doing everything with one remote.

We decided to switch to Dish for the programming for less money. The set top box is the 211 model. Just connected it in place of the comcast box. Media center didn't have any problem making the adjustment. It downloaded the proper program guide and it learned the remote. In the remote test it seemed to work fine. However, getting out of setup and actually changing channels, the dish box won't accept the signals from the IR emitter (coming from the PC) to change the channels. Of course there isn't a problem with the dish remote. I have read of similar issues but no one stuck with it in the forum threads for the issue to be resolved. Thanks for any help.

BTW- please feel free to ask any questions to help clarify the situation.

I'm going to take a guess and say that your remote address is not set to #1. Usually any universal remote control or device requires the address to be #1 to function properly. That being said, here's how you check.

Using the dish remote, press menu, 6, 1, 3 to get to the system info screen. Down at the bottom, locate the remote address. If its anything other than 1, follow these steps.

Press and hold the sat button on the remote til all the lights come on.
Release and then press 0,1,#
The sat light should flash 3x
Now, press record on the remote
The remote address on the screen should change to #1
Now, try the external control again and see if it works

I'm going to take a guess and say that your remote address is not set to #1. Usually any universal remote control or device requires the address to be #1 to function properly. That being said, here's how you check.

Using the dish remote, press menu, 6, 1, 3 to get to the system info screen. Down at the bottom, locate the remote address. If its anything other than 1, follow these steps.

Press and hold the sat button on the remote til all the lights come on.
Release and then press 0,1,#
The sat light should flash 3x
Now, press record on the remote
The remote address on the screen should change to #1
Now, try the external control again and see if it works

I will give this a try. Thank you!

The remote address is already set to #1.

I am also noticing that much of the time using the dish remote, I can press a button and it could take ten seconds or longer for the unit to follow through with that one button press function.

I guess I will go through setup in media center for the 4th time to see if there is something I missed. Seems to me that somebody must know the answer to this 'cause I can't be the only one trying to use Dish with media center in control. Also, I have tried various positions with the emitter.

Also some TV's put out a strong IR field and can block remotes from working.

We got our plasma at the same time as our media center PC and hasn't been a problem before. I did put up a shield of foil over the IR receivers. This doesn't make any difference of how the dish box receives (or not) the IR from the PC. Its clear the PC processes the input from the windows remote and the IR light is of the visible red light type and you can see it flashing. So now my question is: The IR on the dish remote is not of the visible red flashing type but rather 2 little clear bulbs that don't look like they do anything. Could that be the problem?

I also read in another forumthat Media Center could properly learn the stock Dish remoteso that person got a universal remote and proclaims victory. That link is here.

The problem I find is that its an older system than what I have, both operating system and Dish. What do I have to lose?

Last edited:
the verdict is in!

Its alive!

I did get the other remote though I don't think it had anything to do with it (it will get returned). I have had the IR emitter stuck to the front of the STB next to the IR receiver. Thats how it was on the Comcast box. :eurekaI had a random thought to unstick it and turn it over and use tape to stick right on top of the sensor. The unrestricted light made the difference. I also had to change a couple of settings for the remote in Media Center. The channel changing speed had to be set to slow and despite the fact there 4 digit channel number this should still be set to three. Those are the main things so if anybody runs into this issue you now don't have any excuse.:rolleyes:

I forgot one important point. After the first channel changing test is the speed test. during this test I noticed that media center didn't even make an effort to change the channel. I know because the IR emitter is of the visible light type. there was no light. I ignored it anyway because it worked in the previous test. I got on to the 'slow' setting and all was fine after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)