Dropping start-up fees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
If I go with D*, and call in on July 21st, I will be calling the AAA number to get that money off. I will also be calling in with a referral and will be using the D* ST Premier package deal. However, in my case, I need an HD DVR and 2 HD receivers(along with 1 standard receiver they don't charge for). D* will charge $198 in start-up fees for those 2 HD receivers. If I play CSR roulette, is there a good chance I can get the fees dropped? I don't see why I have to pay for the receiver and then $5 for EACH receiver in a lease fee.

There is a very good chance you may get the fees waived. Just keep trying, also you might have to call a few times to get both the AAA and referral credit BUT they will do it as I have called several times and was told I cvould do it but like you said start up fee stopped me as I need 3 HD dVR's. I went to a local store and bought (to lease) 2 hd dvr's for less than Directv would sell them to me.

problem is, I don't know of any local stores in the area I'm moving to, and I'm going to need it installed the day or day after I move. It isn't a deal breaker at this point as it is still free if you count referral/AAA discount, but getting them waived would be amazing.

If I go with D*, and call in on July 21st, I will be calling the AAA number to get that money off. I will also be calling in with a referral and will be using the D* ST Premier package deal. However, in my case, I need an HD DVR and 2 HD receivers(along with 1 standard receiver they don't charge for). D* will charge $198 in start-up fees for those 2 HD receivers. If I play CSR roulette, is there a good chance I can get the fees dropped? I don't see why I have to pay for the receiver and then $5 for EACH receiver in a lease fee.

Actually, you're getting a discount for the lease terms, not a purchase. The cost of those HD DVR's is more than double what they ask but activating all owned HD equipment would still result in a two year commitment.

I would consider more HD DVR's; unless I missed something, the monthly lease is the same either way if you can afford the upfront costs. Most families need more than one DVR.

Consider another referral to offset your costs. You're getting a real deal with the AAA discount. Another option for saving or offsetting upfront costs, if you can afford to pay for 12 months programming, ask for any other discounts they can offer with that programming.

^why is dish not charging me $99 for every HD receiver I add? btw, I'm not talking about HD DVRs, just receivers. I only need 1 HD DVR.

When I signed with Dish, they charged me for 2nd DVR and it was same with DirecTv when I came back. In fact it was same cost but charges for 2nd DVR are higher with Dish. I can only speak of my own experiences.

Leaving Dish was better for me. If you're considering the move to save money, I'd weigh the costs in the long run. 200 upfront could be a lot less when considering the savings on 24 months of programming. As the other poster suggested, you may find them cheaper elsewhere: Best Buy, CostCo or one of sponsors' sites above. I would make sure you order at least one from DirecTv for free install and also make sure the rest will installed free as well.

Comparing the two, quality is about the same; I preferred the DirecTv programming package better for me.

Dish doesn't charge any extra for extra receivers, just lease fee. these aren't DVRs, just HD receivers, however.

Dish doesn't charge any extra for extra receivers, just lease fee. these aren't DVRs, just HD receivers, however.

I think were confusing equipment here.
D* does not charge for addl DVR's FEE wise, it's a straight $6 for as many as you have/want.
Dish charges a DVR fee for EACH DVR you have.

I think were confusing equipment here.
D* does not charge for addl DVR's FEE wise, it's a straight $6 for as many as you have/want.
Dish charges a DVR fee for EACH DVR you have.
I'm not talking about DVRs! lol this is confusing.

D* charges $99 in start up fees for each HD RECEIVER. As in the box that can't record, but can display HD programming. So if I want 2 of those on top of the free HD DVR, I'm being charged $198. Then $5/month to lease both of them. E* just charges $7/month to lease them with no start up fee. Why is that?

Also:
I'm 90% sure I'm going to jump on the ST premier deal, but there is something that will make or break it. After the 5 months of getting Premier for free and paying off ST, can I call in and change my package to something cheaper? Or must I keep the Premier for my full commitment?

I'm not talking about DVRs! lol this is confusing.

D* charges $99 in start up fees for each HD RECEIVER. As in the box that can't record, but can display HD programming. So if I want 2 of those on top of the free HD DVR, I'm being charged $198. Then $5/month to lease both of them. E* just charges $7/month to lease them with no start up fee. Why is that?

Also:
I'm 90% sure I'm going to jump on the ST premier deal, but there is something that will make or break it. After the 5 months of getting Premier for free and paying off ST, can I call in and change my package to something cheaper? Or must I keep the Premier for my full commitment?

Lkr,
The start up fees your talking about is to try to recover some of the original cost of the boxes..... for example the original HR20 (HD DVR mind you) cost around $ 850. D* will give you one for $ 199 now and sometimes cheaper.
My original one was $ 300 I think.

As for the package you have, after your free period is up, YES you can drop to a lesser package, you can actually do that online if your set up with D* online, just needs a password.

Lkr,
The start up fees your talking about is to try to recover some of the original cost of the boxes..... for example the original HR20 (HD DVR mind you) cost around $ 850. D* will give you one for $ 199 now and sometimes cheaper.
My original one was $ 300 I think.

As for the package you have, after your free period is up, YES you can drop to a lesser package, you can actually do that online if your set up with D* online, just needs a password.

Jimbo, the HR20 was $299 when it first came out. You might be thinking of the HR10-250 (D* HD Tivo), that was $999 when it first came out.

so they try to recoup the losses from the free box by charging me on non-DVR boxes? If that is the case, why does E* not charge me for any box if I get 1 HD DVR and 2 HD solo receivers.

Jimbo, the HR20 was $299 when it first came out. You might be thinking of the HR10-250 (D* HD Tivo), that was $999 when it first came out.

HR 20 was $ 299 but that was a lease, not a purchase.
If you were able to BUY it, it was about 850

Yes, I remember the Tivo at $ 1000, I thought about buying one back then, glad I didn't.

so they try to recoup the losses from the free box by charging me on non-DVR boxes? If that is the case, why does E* not charge me for any box if I get 1 HD DVR and 2 HD solo receivers.

E* is a different company, they can charge what ever they want.

D* never use to "Lease" rec'rs, DISH did it well and D* took that success and went with it.

Why are you choosing Directv if you feel that Dish Network has a better deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)