DSL and phone connection to DVR-625 help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ktownkim

Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
NC
I am what you might call technically challenged so purdy please keep it simple :)

We had Dish Network installed today and have the DVR-625. Dish tech said I need to hook Dish box to phone line. But the problem is that when I hook Dish, DSL and land line phone, the DSL dies.

We only have one phone jack at the wall and dish tech put a splitter into the wall; One side goes to the DVR, the other side to different splitter he gave me which has one line to the DSL and one to the phone.

With the above connection the DSL dies but if I unplug the DVR line it works fine again. Currently I have an ADSL filter between the first splitter and the DVR line. Well the DSL works now but the DVR will not dial out or caller ID.

Any ideas or suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!

Huh. That should have worked without a problem. I suspect the DSL filter, since it's designed to quash DSL signals. You sure you put it on the right line? If you have more than one filter, I'd try that other one. Also I would put the filter right on the 1st splitter, rather than at the DVR. That should remove the length of phone line from the splitter to the DVR from the picture. But if I understand what you wrote, you already did that. One final thing you might try is to change phone cables going to the DVR for one of a different length.

try moving the splitter from the wall into the phone side of the dsl filter. you should have the dsl filter connected to the wall jack, then on the dsl side of the filter to the modem/router, and then on the phone side of the filter put the splitter and hook up your phone to one and the 625 to the other side.

phone company

i bundle my dish with my local phone company, saves me a bunch of money and am not without features for sure. anytime i have a problem with the router or when i moved the location of my computer to my livingroom the phone company came out and ran new lines for me and put in a whole house dsl filter box. give them a call and see what they can do for you.

otherwise the last post by sethwell seemed spot on

you need to pay for caller id with the phone company for it to show up on dish, and you need to go into the menu and turn that feature on (at least you used too)

Your splitters could be bad too. I would test with each device separately. DISH DVR --> DSL filter --> Wall and then Phone --> DSL Filter --> Wall.

A couple of possibilities, the DSL filter is bad or connect wrong or is in installed in the wrong place. I would check the phone by connecting it directly to the incoming line without the filter, it should work but should have a lot of high frequency noise. To check the filter, connect a phone to the output labeled phone and connect it to the incoming line without the DSL connected, the phone should work without noise. If that works then connect the DSL Modem, if that works connect the receiver. If you get a failure at any of these points the last device connected is the prime suspect.
Attached is a wiring diagram.

Attachments

• PHONE Model (1).pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 69,547

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)