DSL and TIVO

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SteveinTN

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Let me see if I understand this. If I get DSL service from the phone company I will have to get a filter for my TIVO to go through? If so, where do I get this filter and how much does it cost?

Your DSL should come with some filters. I got two wall mount filters and 4 regular inline filters with mine. If you come up short the phone company should have them for you to buy.

I have a filter on EVERY line. Sprint advises it even on Sat receivers & faxes. I got 4, but had to buy 2 extras. They were $5 each from Sprint shipped. I think Radio Shack was like $4.

I got one at Radioshack for $10.00.

Qwest gave me four when I got the DSL service. I have two DirecTivos and a Samsung 360 all on the same phone cord with splitters. They all call in fine.

wow with bellsouth they sent me a whole set free. after the initial set that is. i got like 8 regular and 2 wall mount... im sure if i called them and complained they would send more

ShadowEKU said:
wow with bellsouth they sent me a whole set free. after the initial set that is. i got like 8 regular and 2 wall mount... im sure if i called them and complained they would send more

May I ask what you pay to Bellsouth for DSL? I think Sprint is kind of a ripoff, but it's all I can get.

ds650 said:
May I ask what you pay to Bellsouth for DSL? I think Sprint is kind of a ripoff, but it's all I can get.

there is a 5 dollar discount for me because I have thier unlimited long distanc eand my standard phone service, but its 39.16 after fees for 3.0megabit down and 384k up. so average joe user would be about 45.00 after fees.

This is according to my bill. YMMV

Wow you're hauling.

I pay $34.95 for 1.5m/256k. I have to get the sprint solutions pack at $31.95 too. (caller id, call waiting/forwarding etc).
regular price for 1.5 is like $59.99!

I think it's a rip off kinda. But my local cable company is Adelphia! Needless to say that's why I have Satellite.

Spunds like Sprint charges way too much.

I have SBC and pay $26.95 per month with just bare bones basic phone line - dial tone only, no extra's.

I have DSL through Qwest, and DirecTV.
That gives me a $5 discount on the bill, and DirecTV goes through Qwest.

QwestDSL costs me $40/month for 1.5/800. The service has NEVER gone out in the 7 years I've had it, but the speeds suck. My modem doesn't even connect at 1.5, it connects at about 1 or 1.2. The CSRs have no clue about it, but its fine. I think the problem might be in my house wiring, anyways.

There is another way to do this and not use the filters. You need to get an outdoor DSL wplitter and install it at the NID. It took me about 20 minutes to do this and it alleviates having to have a filter at each outlet. Also, as rumor has it, each filter adds distance to your loop length. This can affect speed. But I don't know if I lend much credence to that.

The hardest part of the install for me was using a voltmeter to find the right pair going to my office from my junction box. After that, you just splice that from the NID where the splitter is installed.

The splitter separates the data/voice signals at the NID so there is no need for indoor filters.
This site has some infor on installing the splitter. It's fairly easy. I was lucky since my new house is wired with cat5 so I just picked an unused pair from the existing cable to put the dsl on.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

This also solves problems with DSL and home alarms.

I have dsl pro 3 mbit down, 512 mbit up for 34.95, plus a free year of xbox live and two free xbox games thru SBC.

i have the same at DTV Tech. I have a project pronto dslam sitting outside my neighborhood so I'm only a couple hundred feet away. Too bad I lose 500k/s down because of the dsl overhead problem. SBC wouldn't send someone out to change the dslam either to alleviate the problem even though they do that on the upload side.

Status
Please reply by conversation.