dsr 410 problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brown4599

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
i own 5 dsr 410 receivers, they are all hooked up to high freguency splitters accordingly along with two sidecars and one 920, they all worked fine at first but after couple of months signal on one of them started breaking up, then about one month after it happened to another 410. the splitters are all good and are all hooked up in the correct way, there are no breaks in the coax, i changed the cables just to make sure.the two 410's are the only receivers giving this problem, the thing is the signal comes in good for a period of time then the picture break ups start and goes on for some time, then signal comes in good again,...what could be the problem,,how do i resolve,,should i do a system restore and call back for a re hit? this is my first post on this site, i'm used to just browsing but just thought it's worth a try.

First try running a cable direct to the LNBF to eliminate any cable, weak signals due to the splitters, or problems with other receivers powering the LNBF.
What is the signal to noise ratio (signal strength) that the receivers are reading? With that many receivers, you could be having a very low signal and possibly the 410's are the first to show the signs of a weak signal.
The diagnostics menus will have the signal strength. Someone else here should have the key sequence to display the signal to noise ratio.

ok.. i will try running a cable directly fron the lnb...is the signal to noise ratio the same as the signal coming in from the dish,,,i will check...

ok just hooked up one of 410's directly to the lnb,,signal remained basically the same around 80 but the signal breakups still occured, when this happens the signal meter drops to zero and fluctuates...then comes back normal...and in a matter of time keeps repeating itself...

all the receivers both 410's and the others are receiving ok signals ranging from 65 to 82 ...well signal varies according to what channel transponder...so i think low signal is not the problem

ok.. i will try running a cable directly fron the lnb...is the signal to noise ratio the same as the signal coming in from the dish,,,i will check...

There will be a diagnostic menu with a db reading of the signal to noise level. I do not have a 410, but someone else here should be able to give you the key sequence. With my StarChoice PVR my readings are 10-11db. The signal level meter should show a green bar, hopefully almost to the end or 100%, in the 80's should also be fine.

menu 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C

you could have a 80 signal but diag could show +4.0 or something...on X4 I was getting +11 to +12 on all and on W5 its around +8

on diagnostic C i'm seeing a +number on the right fluctuating from +7.8 to +8.6...the thing is where i am signal is not good as north america...thats why i have a 12ft pointed at x4, i also checked the other 410's that work good and the db's are almost the same....i was looking at the factory reset menu...6,7,7,8, what that authoisation reset knob is it different from factory reset.

authorization just reauthorizes the box nothing more
Factory reset might clear all channels from the system. On a 4DTV you have to download the channel maps after a factory reset

+8 is decent enough a signal

do u think if i do a factory reset or an authorization reset it may help the problem.....

i guess the only thing left to do is have sky vision transfer the programming to 2 sidecars and ship the 410's back to them for repair or something...the 410's may still come in handy after june 1st..i hear they can be remapped..any how i do appreciate the help..thanks guys..

Last edited:
Sounds like you may be getting terrestrial interference or "TI" as we call it here.
I get TI about the same time everyday here. I suspect it being aircraft radar or weather radar (just guessing here). It is not as bad on my 10' dish but it wipes out the 7.5' dish.

It seems digicipher II receivers are affected worse than FTA dvb signals.

when this happens my signal will drop out real quick and then bounce back to a decent level.

You could have an lnb getting unstable too. It may not show up on the other boxes yet. Always a possibility.

Is the breakup occurring on both left and right polarities?. The DSR410 seems to be very sensitive in regard to aiming in my experience. I noticed when setting up my Dad's some channels were perfect and others dropped out and froze in cycles.

I then noticed that only channels of one polarity were freezing. A little dish tweaking solved it.

Be careful with master resets on the 410 unless you are setup with Websams. The 410 will not do a thing without a rehit. It will not remap or update software without it. I encountered a problem a few months ago losing TV Land the required that. A master reset fixed it each time. Waiting for a automatic hit takes hours and hours in the stream. They seem to hit less frequently than 4DTV.

just logged on guys,,well the lnb i have i got it from a friend, its old but he said it was the good type not the cheap ones, there is a little red light at the tip of each lnb when powered up..maybe the lnb could be the problem,,,i just checked and the 2 receivers that have the problem one is hooked up horizontal and the other vertical,,,my friend is also a tech,,he has come across dn receivers with this problem due to a faulty I.F., i hope this is not the case,,i contacted sky vis and they said the lnb could be drifting or the output voltage from the master could also be faulty... so the next step for me is to check the voltage from my 920 (master) and if its good then i'll have to change the lnbs...i'll get some new ones this time, so my work is cut out for me in the morn...thanks again guys...i really appreciate...this is really nice
my next problem will be remapping 2 920's i bought on ebay, i did a factory reset, will start a thread 2morrow

Are you using 105 West C-band (W5) or 99 West Ku-Band (X-4)??
If still on Ku-band, you would be wasting your time changing out LNBs,
since X4 signals will be shut off on June 1st.

IF you are on 105 West C-band already, the problem could be stability of your older C-band LNB(s). A high stability unit of 500 KHz or less local oscillator drift would be recommended. Look for a Norsat 8515, 8215 or 8115 to replace.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)