DSR-410...so close

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Northern Ontario, Canada
Received my 410 yesterday, plugged it into my 6' dish which I figured I had previously pointed correctly using my generic FTA ird, and had an instant green light. Spent some time peaking, called for activation and away I went into the C-band television world happier than a pig in sh*!.
So I moved the 410 from my temp location (garage) into the house and troubles began. Lower signal and lower quality for some reason. It seemed like things just got worse, and then signal completely disappeared and nothing at all.
So I moved everything back out to the garage, shorter more direct feed and still nothing (well, 6% signal on the pointing screen)
The dish hasn't moved as I locked it down after peaking and I measure correct voltages coming from the 410. Next thing will be to measure for the same voltages right at the end of the line at the LNBF but according to my analog meter there's lots of signal at the wire. So my only assumption now could be the 410 has gone bad. Any suggestions?

I have a few couplers in between and about 150' of cable, I plan to fix this up to a single run with one joint but this isn't the problem at the moment I've proven now.

why not connect your fta reciever at the end of that 150 feet and see if it works. are there any switches inline that you use with your fta gear ? if your fta reciever works then its a good bet the 410 is no good or it doesnt get along with your lnb.

crackt out,.

Years ago I had a receiver that had it's LNB power killed by a shorted wire. (it no longer would power the LNB). I wonder if the portion of the receiver that supplies voltage to the LNB has been fried by a short in one of the connections.

Does your regular FTA receiver have an LNB-OUT (loop) connection in it? (Meaning a connection that would feed to a 2nd receiver?)

When I fried my original receiver, I had to hook up a good working FTA receiver to supply power to the LNB, and from the LNB-OUT connection on the FTA, I hooked it up to my other receiver. I had the FTA receiver supplying power to the LNB and then was able to receive signal on the receiver with the fried voltage circuit...

LNB ----> FTA Receiver ----> 410

Well, things came back with low signal. So re-peaking began again and I got good signal back. I can't believe how little movement on the dish makes such a drastic signal change. Quite different compared to pizza dishes. Think I may have been aimed right on the edge before.

So now, I'm comparing signal levels with a couple f-couplers inline and without, and noticing the difference too so I'm running a single run now from LNB to receiver with only one coax/grounding block in the line and levels seem to be back where they are supposed to be. So a nice new LNBF to purchase and I should be in good shape. The existing one works, but the contacts right at the f-connector are slightly corroded white and the ceramic surrounding it is brittle and falling away.

I'm going to post my questions regarding the use of joiners/splitters and they're inherent losses in another thread.
Glad the receivers seems fine now.

Last edited:
I can't believe how little movement on the dish makes such a drastic signal change. Quite different compared to pizza dishes. Think I may have been aimed right on the edge before.

You should try aligning a 12 foot on a 7/8 FEC, touchy is an understatement.

When you align you make small adjustments and wait for the meter to catch up. Best to align using EBNO on a DC-2 receiver it catches up faster.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Best Way To Hook Up 922

Scripps Networks Zombiesat plans

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)