DSR-410 vs 4DTV - question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes I bought a Farudga line doubler in 1996 when I bought all my home theather stuff.The thing did a wonderful job at the time.I still have it but I stopped using it in 2004 because with digital it actually enhances the digital Artifatcts.But maybe I can give ita try now I have C band again.

The days of crystal clear beautiful video at a consumer level are over with all the providers. Don't get me started on HD lite and how it's butchered on pizza & cable and even OTA. They all really don't care about the end product that much. Most people are brain dead and or stupid and can't see the poorness being delivered. Just because it says HD and Digital it don't mean it's good.
Exactly. Get the masses to believe the quality of second generation signals is as good as it gets so they'll never think to question if there's something better.

If our chances for a new Digicipher consumer receiver are dead for getting masters, maybe we can work on the Skyvision or another company to let us get PowerVu masters on a consumer receiver like the D9865. It's a shame the receiver is already made, but there's nothing to subscribe to.

Since W5 is a "condensed satellite" by HITS for small cable operators (One c band dish gets all for their customers)we could never expect HITS to be able to have enough bandwidth or even want to try to keep up the resolution of the masters. its just comes down to customers and the money trail...as long as customers will pay for mediocre pictures they will only get mediocre pictures.

Most people don't know what a good picture looks like. Many were brought up on rabbit ears or snowy analog cable. When they see no snow in a digital picture they think its the cats meow even if it looked like NPS's G3 fiasco. How many actually praised NPS's pictures? there were some. We have been spoiled with the quality of our buds. I really don't think the mainstream public will ever see a good picture. Hell if you watch a sub par picture long enough you start to think it's good, me included.

Lately I have been watching a couple of ITC masters on my bud and switching back and forth to Direct's versions. There is a hell of allot of difference, to the point that I think Directs picture just sucks. The same held true with W5 in the past. Once they encrypt the masters again and I'm forced to view Direct, over time it don't look so bad. We adjust until we see that eye candy again.

Agreed, when I still had CRT tv's and analog OTA, I had good reception on the locals. We had directv about 10 years ago. I just used CH 4 rf to the tv's and a couple of my tv's were running off the same RCA DRD-430 receiver with an inline amp before a two way splitter. Everybody thought I had incredible reception!!!

When I got c band fta and my dsr905's, I quickly realized how soft directv was. Ota at that point was unwatchable for me.

I subscribed for one month, just for W5 channels. I have to say I'm disappointed in the picture quality. The biggest thing I notice that tells me that the quality is very weak - when there is a lot of black in the picture, I see a lot of blocking going on. This is truly sad. I've made numerous adjustments to get the picture to look the best I can, but in the end there isn't much I can do to enhance an already crappy picture.

Perhaps it's what Dannymcenrow says above, the upscaling is enhancing the bad picture more. I'm not sure, but it's noticeable either way. People with cabull are watching these types of feeds on newer televisions? Because what I find is that I have to stretch the picture to fit my television set's width, which of course disfigures the quality even moreso. I'm not so sure subing to receive this type of picture is worth the money they are asking. If this was a master feed, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Unfortunately W5 isn't a master feed and has digital artifacts. Its what were being forced as consumers to deal with. Try not to look for the artifacts and focus on enjoying the show. If you look for the artifacts it will drive you crazy.

For me, it's a matter of cost/quality. I know what my television is capable of, the quality being received by w5 is less than the tv's weakest qualities - that's saying allot. There's nothing that can be done to improve the quality, and I think it stinks. Comparable to VHS. I've even tried a straight through, disabling any upscalling by the receiver, the picture quality does't change. Some sound on some channels have noise, or pops, I'm sure there's a term for it but I don't know it.

input
720x480i
out
1280x720p

Last edited:
Anyone know how many dmx stations are on w5? I'm only getting 5 out of all the ones listed here: http://www.skyvision.com/pages/information_center/4dtvguide.htm

Sounds like either your dish needs to be adjusted or you may not be selecting H or V correctly. Also you might check that you have all programs selected in your Interests.

What size dish are you using? Also have you checked to make sure you have the correct type LNB/LNBF selected in the receiver. Using a LNBF on a 6' dish I'm missing some channels ( 825-829 ) which I believe to be an LNBF issue which needs to be replaced or adjusted better. My 10' has no such problem and get's all of them.

Last edited:
For me, it's a matter of cost/quality. I know what my television is capable of, the quality being received by w5 is less than the tv's weakest qualities - that's saying allot. There's nothing that can be done to improve the quality, and I think it stinks. Comparable to VHS. I've even tried a straight through, disabling any upscalling by the receiver, the picture quality does't change. Some sound on some channels have noise, or pops, I'm sure there's a term for it but I don't know it.

input
720x480i
out
1280x720p

I was watching DirecTV last night on my HDTV, and though it's not master quality from a distance of 8-9 feet it's tolerable. My Aquos does a great job of upconverting and scaling.

I know the W5 channels were very watchable on the Sharp too. Maybe because it's only a 32 class. I do run in smart stretch always since I like screen real estate.

I think the key problem here is that ANY service once its butchered will look like crap on a large HD screen. As much as a 40 or 60" is nice it will make all the trash show up. A very good master will look good on that size screen because its quality not quantity. I think a 32" is about the limit for masking some of the crap. So in this case bigger is not better :eek:

Sounds like either your dish needs to be adjusted or you may not be selecting H or V correctly. Also you might check that you have all programs selected in your Interests.

What size dish are you using? Also have you checked to make sure you have the correct type LNB/LNBF selected in the receiver. Using a LNBF on a 6' dish I'm missing some channels ( 825-829 ) which I believe to be an LNBF issue which needs to be replaced or adjusted better. My 10' has no such problem and get's all of them.

The dish is big enough, the lnb should be adequate. What is funny, I'm getting the channels you are missing, and missing the channels you are getting. I've stepped through all of the cannels, they are mapped. I should recheck the dish also since it's sat untouched for a while. I don't think it will help clear up the picture quality though because it's the content of the signal that is low quality. It's truly sad knowing that local broadcasters output OTA channels in better quality than w5 (or at least what's been made available for 4dtv/410 owners), compared to what I remember being available a while back..
-----------------------------------------------------------
I remember there use to be settings for radio, I can't find them now. Weren't the settings for audio tunning listed under video adjust option? What should I check?

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be any DMX music channels on the 410 in the 800's. I have all 40 channels and none of them are 800's, they start at 900 and go to 941. I think the W5 DMX channels in the link posted are for 4dtv receivers and they're channel #'s on W5

There doesn't seem to be any DMX music channels on the 410 in the 800's. I have all 40 channels and none of them are 800's, they start at 900 and go to 941. I think the W5 DMX channels in the link posted are for 4dtv receivers and they're channel #'s on W5
Yes, the url for that page says 4dtvguide.htm.
I have the 900 channels mapped on the 4dtv - I wonder why? - if they're exclusive to the 410. :confused:
Of course none of them work. I need to figure out why I'm not getting the larger chunk of DMX in the 800's.

damn, sorry my comments above aren't right. Not sure what I was looking at (or drinking) to think I had 900's mapped, I don't.

Found the settings. I've got an LNB type set as c/ku lnbfs
When listening to 825-829 I get sig 72 qual 28
When I go to 830 or above, it drops to 68,0 my dish being off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)