DSR-410 vs. DSR-4200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

meinename

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Portland, OR
I was browsing the Bay and found a used HITS2HOME DSR-410 and 3 new DSR-4200 each less than $50

So I searched last night over the DSR-410 and the DSR-4200
(Probably half the problem *snicker*)

The 4200 seems to be all manual
The 410 supposedly is useless for W5 unless I sell it to Skyvision and buy it back at a loss

I'm lost as far as which would get me the most ZK and FP
Assume I want the music on W5 and G5

1. Do they both do SR 29.***
2. Would the DSR-4200 need to be "subbed" to something else besides GPB (if it's still available)

The 410 will only work for W5 and make sure it was reflashed for it. Lots were for X4 (G4 KU Band) and when you do a master reset it wont get W5

4200 is all manual but works better ;)
Do a search here on 4200 there are some quirks with it. I think it had to be subscribed to at one point

The 4200 needed to be subbed at one point to do ZK and FP. The 410 unless you have Skyvision authorize it (there's a fee) than sub to W5 stuff it won't do much else. Too bad since it can do more symbol rates than a 4200.

The 4200Vs work fine for one mux at a time. I've been more successful in my experiments with my 4200 than my 410 series boxes. Seems like the 410s have less possibilities.

One thing if purchasing a used 4200, be sure to get the remote. It's unique and necessary for setting up the 4200. It uses the "time" button. No other GI or Motorola box has it.

The 4200 needed to be subbed at one point to do ZK and FP. The 410 unless you have Skyvision authorize it (there's a fee) than sub to W5 stuff it won't do much else. Too bad since it can do more symbol rates than a 4200.

Don't forget that there are at least 3 different models of 4200. I have a 4200V and a 4200B, and there is also a "C" versopm. The 4200V will do all of the standard DCII SR rates, although it won't do the combo/megapipe version on 29270. The B and C versions only do about 3 SR rates each.
But the posts about needing an authorization at some point is correct. A brand new 4200 only gets ZK, but that will get music and a couple video channels. Not quite a doorstop, but almost. There used to be at least 3 places that would authorize the 4200s, GPTV, some newborn channel that was down on SBS6, and I think that Canadian channel from Newfoundland from what I've heard. I don't think there is any place that would authorize it now, unless you know someone at Nebraska PBS or something.

I have yet to notice it yet with my 4200V, since I have no idea what it was originally for. But the 410 series receivers I have still register random trip counter trips if left on the HITS TPs on AMC18. For some reason they never remove the units from the data stream?

Even though most of these things never seem to map correctly there. Some even show new target firmware, although it never downloads. Perhaps that needs a different type of trip from a provider? On 4DTV it seems the authorization trips arrive in a sequence of 5. Others come in 1 or 2 a time.

I have yet to notice it yet with my 4200V, since I have no idea what it was originally for. But the 410 series receivers I have still register random trip counter trips if left on the HITS TPs on AMC18. For some reason they never remove the units from the data stream?

Even though most of these things never seem to map correctly there. Some even show new target firmware, although it never downloads. Perhaps that needs a different type of trip from a provider? On 4DTV it seems the authorization trips arrive in a sequence of 5. Others come in 1 or 2 a time.

You need SRL as the provider for the 410 to authorize right on Hits. It even has an SRL icon in the tv guide when done. Skyvision is suppose to be authorizing any 410's now for a little fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts