DTA and HDCB Questions

ColoSat101

Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Denver
To give you some perspective, I live in the Denver Metro Area. About a year ago, Comcast "upgraded" our cable system. We had our local basic package (local + local digital sub + WGN, HSN, Hallmark, etc...). Comcast then told us that they were converting all signals to digital and sent us three DTAs (Model: DC50Xu) for our primary televisions. We didn’t use one of them because the TV was a 2007 widescreen HD Sony Bravia XBR with apparently digital converting capabilities. We get the basic package (with locals in HD), and all the other basics in digital without the DTA.

It seems silly that Comcast would "upgrade" to digital. Either way their cable is coming in on a dedicated line from their Denver HQ and whether the signal is digital or analog really doesn't matter because it is not taking up part of the analog sat spectrum (Am I missing something?). Does the 'digital upgrade' give Comcast a better degree of control? Or is the DTA a cable descrambler (although I doubt this)?

I recently bought the Triple Play (i.e. 1 phone line, Digital Starter Cable, same 12m u/d internet). I made damned sure that this price is locked in for two years, which is the length of the contract. Additionally Comcast offered us some extra channels for a few months (showtime, etc…) and 1 year free HD cable service.

In the next few days I should be getting a HD cable box from Comcast. A few days ago, I watched TV and saw that we had our Digital Starter Cable package up and running. “Cool,” I thought. “It should be like this for two years out.” Strangely, the next day I found that Comcast had shut it down. When I called, they sighted that I needed my HD cable box set up in order to receive the advanced package. This baffles me. We are only getting one HD cable box. The rest of the signal will be fed through the DTAs to our other two TVs. After the year closes, Comcast will replace the HD cable box with another DTA. So why does the HD cable box have to be involved in the appropriation of our cable package? As I mentioned I saw it before over the DTA.

Now for another matter. When I get the HD cable box, I am going to plug it directly into the coax, then feed it into my TV, and there I will have the HD picture of my expanded package. Is the HD cable box descrambling a latent signal beneath that of my digital package? If not, and this is where it gets tricky. If I buy my own HD box, call it an AZ Box, and plug it directly into the DTA, descrambler or not, will I receive the HD picture without having to pay Comcast for their HD cable box?

Thank you answering these questions. If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks,

ColoSat101

Well, first of all, you were never receiving HD locals (or any channel) with a DTA. They only put out an SD signal. If you had the coax directly connected to your TV, you may have been receiving the QAM signals over the cable line, but those will soon be going away, if not already, and you will need a DTA minimum to get ANY signal from Comcast.

The "upgrade" to digital is indeed a way to reclaim bandwidth, so that more channels can be offered. To simplify, 10 HD/digital channels can fit in the same space as 1 analog channel.
Also, this is a way to reduce theft of signal, because you WILL need a DTA to convert the signal and watch it on your telly. (So, yes you could call it a de facto descrambler)

You cannot receive the upper tier digital/premium channels over the DTA, only with an HD box. So even though you have the Starter package, you will only see those lower tier digital channels with the DTA, no premiums, guide, or On Demand. You can always upgrade to a digital STB to receive EVERYTHING on the other TV's. SD or HD box.

You will need to feed your HD TV with a Component or HDMI cable from your HD box, or you will not be receiving HD on your TV.

You can not buy your own HD box. You will need to use one provided by Comcast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)