DTV and Sunday Ticket parting ways?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ranmic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Sun, Sun and more Sun!!!!
I just read an article on Pro Football Talk and according to DTV's CFO Pat Doyle if the NFL wants to raise the price of ST after the 2015 expiration of ST he said they may consider dropping it from their lineup. Now, not sure how many people care, but for the ones that do will you stay with DTV if they do that? I only have satellite for ST anyway so if they drop it I would more than likely drop them. But on the other side of the coin if it opens up to all cable providers then hopefully the price would be driven down. Thoughts?

I don't think dtv will drop ST.My guess is they won't end up paying a premium exclusive price.ST will then be available on most cable and sat providers.The reason I think that will happen,is the NFL wants more money,if they can sell ST to multiple providers then that will generate more cash.

I don't think dtv will drop ST.My guess is they won't end up paying a premium exclusive price.ST will then be available on most cable and sat providers.The reason I think that will happen,is the NFL wants more money,if they can sell ST to multiple providers then that will generate more cash.

Then again, they could have done that 10 years ago too.

This gets talked about everytime the contract comes up.

Then again, they could have done that 10 years ago too.

This gets talked about everytime the contract comes up.

10 years ago there wasn't nfl st streaming to pcs,mobile devices,and ps3's either.In Canada,ST is available on both shaw and bell.Not sure about the cable providers.If there is a way for NFL owners to get more cash they most certainly will.

It wouldn't make any difference in our house as we are DirecTV customers for life. I couldn't even consider going back to cable as its just so awful. I actually sub to Sunday ticket via BellTV as its cheaper then DirecTV, and yes Sunday ticket is available to most all providers in Canada.

10 years ago there wasn't nfl st streaming to pcs,mobile devices,and ps3's either.In Canada,ST is available on both shaw and bell.Not sure about the cable providers.If there is a way for NFL owners to get more cash they most certainly will.

I bet the streaming doesn't account for more than 10-15 % of thier working product overall.

I bet the streaming doesn't account for more than 10-15 % of thier working product overall.

10% is still 10% more of the market than it was 10 years ago. Either way, with me being a 49ers fan living in Indiana I'm forced to get the ticket but as of now I get it free along with the rest of my package but if I had to pay I'd shop around for the cheapest deal and still keep Directv. I do know about 3 out of 10 customers I talk to have directv just for the ST though so it'd be smart on a business stand point I'd think to keep it on lock

I just read an article on Pro Football Talk and according to DTV's CFO Pat Doyle if the NFL wants to raise the price of ST after the 2015 expiration of ST he said they may consider dropping it from their lineup. Now, not sure how many people care, but for the ones that do will you stay with DTV if they do that? I only have satellite for ST anyway so if they drop it I would more than likely drop them. But on the other side of the coin if it opens up to all cable providers then hopefully the price would be driven down. Thoughts?

It would be a pretty weak negotiating position to say that any arbitrary price increase is fine. And the price isn't going to go down for subscribers...

10% is still 10% more of the market than it was 10 years ago. Either way, with me being a 49ers fan living in Indiana I'm forced to get the ticket but as of now I get it free along with the rest of my package but if I had to pay I'd shop around for the cheapest deal and still keep Directv. I do know about 3 out of 10 customers I talk to have directv just for the ST though so it'd be smart on a business stand point I'd think to keep it on lock

Then again, IF it was opened up to other providers as many hope (I'm not one of them), I would hope that the price would go down some ...
Then again, if the other providers KNOWING what D* charges, they can charge just as much if they want, or slightly less to make it attractive for thier subs.

IF, it is opened up to others, remember it may NOT be to ALL, providers, many won't be interested because of cost.

Hopefully D* could drop thier prices to what some are getting for a discounted price.
Personally, $ 100-$150, I'd be happy with ... $150 for Max (or less of course)

Then again, IF it was opened up to other providers as many hope (I'm not one of them), I would hope that the price would go down some ...
Then again, if the other providers KNOWING what D* charges, they can charge just as much if they want, or slightly less to make it attractive for thier subs.

IF, it is opened up to others, remember it may NOT be to ALL, providers, many won't be interested because of cost.

Hopefully D* could drop thier prices to what some are getting for a discounted price.
Personally, $ 100-$150, I'd be happy with ... $150 for Max (or less of course)

I would think the price would drop but still not that low. Providers know what directv had got out of it and they'd just follow suit :(

I would think the price would drop but still not that low. Providers know what directv had got out of it and they'd just follow suit :(

Thats what I am expecting to happen if it comes to that .... then a bunch of people will be pissed when they see the cost to have it, if the providers decide to make a standard price ( think baseball Collusion)

The NFL is in a MUCH stronger position now than it was 10 or 15 years ago. I fully expect them to leverage out Sunday ticket to every provider, make more money in the process and expand viewership significantly.

I don't think D* could pony up enough money to keep it exclusive even if they wanted to.

Sunday ticket will still be available on D*, its just going to be available literally everywhere else as well.

The NFL & ST are not deal breakers for me. Now don't get me wrong I would miss seeing my Packers play, but I could survive and I would not go shopping for different TV providers just to get to ST.

Sunday Ticket is an exclusive because it's worth more that way. Additionally, CBS and Fox affiliates would be up in arms if ST were available on all providers since it would eat into the ratings and advertising revenue. I'll be shocked if they don't come to an agreement sometime next year.

I would say that number will continue to increase sharply over the next few years. I purchased my Dad the Madden 2013 from Amazon which includes the streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket for free since he can't have a dish at his apartment.

I would say that number will continue to increase sharply over the next few years. I purchased my Dad the Madden 2013 from Amazon which includes the streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket for free since he can't have a dish at his apartment.

Nice gift Scott.I did the same for myself.$99 for Madden 25 and NFL ST is an awesome deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)