DTV and UVerseTV Platforms Merged By The End of 2018

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CSM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Chesterfield, MO
Saw this new article from the INTX conference. This also sounds like they are keeping the DTV name and UVerseTV will become DTV?

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/intx-att-hints-its-directv-vision-future-tv/2016-05-17

"Finally, the top tier will be the managed DirecTV service that is essentially regular premium TV, with a DVR and all the premium content." "Then, near the end of 2018 or early 2019, AT&T will release the "full blown" DirecTV platform, for both its own managed network as well as networks it does not directly manage."

Thanks for the article link; great find.

While it doesn't go into quotable specifics, it at least provides some insight as to how AT&T is planning to move forward, especially in light of "unmanaged" ISPs that aren't directly on AT&T's net (i.e.: how AT&T will work to get their content over, say, Xfinity Internet without significant issues).

Sounds like a plan to me.

Saw this new article from the INTX conference. This also sounds like they are keeping the DTV name and UVerseTV will become DTV?

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/intx-att-hints-its-directv-vision-future-tv/2016-05-17

"Finally, the top tier will be the managed DirecTV service that is essentially regular premium TV, with a DVR and all the premium content." "Then, near the end of 2018 or early 2019, AT&T will release the "full blown" DirecTV platform, for both its own managed network as well as networks it does not directly manage."

Until then, it will be the band-aid approach to eqpt and the GUI.

too late, they need something sooner
if nothing is announced by august i foresee people leaving before the fall shows start

Reactions: Drucifer

Cool thanks for info appreciate it a lot :)

It is a long time away, but unless you can get Xfinity X1 / Cox Contour 2, Tivo provided by your cable company, or some other advanced multi-room system, DirecTV still has the edge. Most cable providers are still using that blue i-guide that was released in 2001. Poster art? Ha, what's that? True color on demand screens? Never heard of it. HD GUI? Not in this lifetime.

As long as DirecTV has the content we want, at a price we can afford and the equipment works, I don't see a downgrade to cable. The only way I would consider that is if our Cable company issued Tivo T6 with mini clients as a rental option. The cost outlay is much to buy at retail and if the Cable company provides it, then on demand would be available.

Otherwise I don't see people leaving DirecTV if they can afford it, it works and has what they want to watch. I used to complain about cable's i-guide or directv's blue SD guide a few years ago and you would have some people that were like yeah your right, but then there's a lot that say, "what, do you watch the guide? I watch TV, why do you care about the guide?"

Let them take the time and perfect everything from the ground up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.