Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rlorton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
MO
Hi All,

The signal on DTV has been breaking up, similar to that seen when there is rain in the path of the satellite. Checking the signal strength shows most elements to be in the 80s and 90s but a few are low, in the 70's or lower and fluctuating. I am not using the HD service. The antenna is a Channel master Gain Master DIRECTV Triple LNB fed thru a Terk BMS-58. The recievers are an old Hughes HIRD-D45 and a H10. I really want to pick on the LNB that recieves 101, A.
We are in So. Mo.
Tanks for any help!!!
Ron

Please post all strengths for all transponders, especially the ones on 101.
Is the mast still stable and not loose?
You shouldn't have fluctuating strengths.
Try bypassing the multiswitch to rule it out as the problem.

Please post all strengths for all transponders, especially the ones on 101.
Is the mast still stable and not loose?
You shouldn't have fluctuating strengths.
Try bypassing the multiswitch to rule it out as the problem.

It is the multiswitch. Bypassed it and things work like they're supposed to. Since I don't use HD I don't think I'll replace it till we decide we can't live without HD.

The only low transponders were 101A 12=0, 18=0, 20=78, 26=0, 28=38, the rest were at a high of 97to a low of 87 with most in the mid 90s.

The other two LNBs had pretty good signals out of the transponders but I'm puzzled by the low number of them as compared to 101A. They read:

110C 8=76, 10=87, 12=78.

119B 22=93, 23=0, 24=89, 25-34, 26=94, 27=92, 28=89, 29=51, 30=92, 31=64, 32=92.

Thanks so much for the advice, I would have started the troubleshooting process sooner or later but I've learned that it is expediant to ask the collective knowledge on the internet for ideas first. This way I went right to it!!! Again thanks.
Ron

Those low signals on 101 are the spot beams. The other spot is TP4 which you will probably see as higher than others. It's the spot that services your area. There are also spot beam TPs on 119, they are the odd numbered ones except for 27, I think.

is it happening on all channels or just locals? and is it happening on all boxes?
The progression of the failure is over 18 mos. All channels and boxes are affected, we do not get locals. It started out as a occasional pixeling and a "scritching" noise during high temperature days when direct sunlight was on the side of the house with the antenna. As time progressed it was noticed on every channel more pronounced during clear sky times which raised suspicions about the equipment. We are not here during the heart of summer or the dead of winter so extreme heat and cold were not observed, however it did do it last Nov before we left for warmer climes. The problem got so bad when we returned a week ago that I finally decided to do something about it.
jdspencers sugestion to by pass the multiswitch did the trick. I went to Lowes (beleive it or don't, Radio Shack and Best Buy didn't have them) and bought a couple of diplexers and bypassed the switch, things have been normal for about 6 hrs now!! I think that confirms that it is the switch.
Ron

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts