DTV customer considering switching to Dish

How else is he supposed to find out? Dish doesn’t do free site surveys that I am aware of.

It does hurt the tech and his RSP if they don't do the install and Dish won't send them out unless the customer signs up, but the local retailer (if you have a good one) will often do a free site survey before signing up. We do them all the time if the customer isn't too far away. :)

It does hurt the tech and his RSP if they don't do the install and Dish won't send them out unless the customer signs up, but the local retailer (if you have a good one) will often do a free site survey before signing up. We do them all the time if the customer isn't too far away. :)

Unfortunately, it's becoming more and more difficult to find local retailers. The last one I am aware of in the Kansas City metro shut it's phone line off recently. It sucks, because I could drive over there and buy new equipment from them. Now I have to order it from somewhere else and have it shipped.

Unfortunately, it's becoming more and more difficult to find local retailers. The last one I am aware of in the Kansas City metro shut it's phone line off recently. It sucks, because I could drive over there and buy new equipment from them. Now I have to order it from somewhere else and have it shipped.

Dish has thinned the heard dramatically mostly by imposing all kinds of new requirements like minimum quarterly sales and very broad and expensive insurance requirements. There used to be about 6 Dish retailers on the retailer look up tool within 50 miles of us but now there's just us. :)

There are satellite locating apps for smart phones.

Install one, go to the site, hold the smart phone up facing southwest and you can see in the sky where the sats are locates and if there is line of sight.

Reactions: TheKrell
And a fair amount of clearance on each side, Dish Pointer apps are not very precise

And at least one of them needs to be updated on iOS. That said, I was able to use DishPointer Pro to show my installer where to install my DirecTV dish at my last house despite the fact that he didn't initially think it would have LOS. Once installed, he said the signal strengths were quite high, so it did help sussing out a place to put the dish which was out of sight from the road.

And a fair amount of clearance on each side, Dish Pointer apps are not very precise

I agree, dish pointer apps will get you close and give you a good idea but accuracy varies widely depending on the device. If it's a tight los the last thing I want is to be pretty sure, I want to know for sure. The Sunnto tandem imo is the best precision tool available for checking azimuth & elevation.

Amazon product ASIN B000ETZUDE

And at least one of them needs to be updated on iOS. That said, I was able to use DishPointer Pro to show my installer where to install my DirecTV dish at my last house despite the fact that he didn't initially think it would have LOS. Once installed, he said the signal strengths were quite high, so it did help sussing out a place to put the dish which was out of sight from the road.
Anywhere you get clear LOS, the signal should be quite high. It's 23,000 miles to the Satellite. A few dozen feet mean nothing

Call your local Dish retailer, if you have a good one.

We live in the country outside a small town and the only dealer is in another town about 45 miles away. They checked our house on satellite and thought we'd be ok, but I'm not so sure since our lot slopes downhill and we have trees blocking the satellites. Anyway, they said the next time they have an installation in our area, they'll have someone come by and check it. Definite maybe. In the meantime, we're stuck with DTV till they check it out. Thanks for all the info, You've all been very helpful.

Anywhere you get clear LOS, the signal should be quite high. It's 23,000 miles to the Satellite. A few dozen feet mean nothing

I am not sure why, but he wasn't the first installer to comment on "quite high" signal strength. Is that maybe something they're told to do to make the customer feel less concerned about signal loss?

Hey guys. Back again with a few more questions. We decided to stick with DTV till now since I had my portable dish and tripod already set up. But we are making plans to move to another campground next year. There are trees blocking some of SW sky but it appears that if I get the 1000+ I should be ok. Here's the specs on that.

Satellite Data
Name: Dish 1000+ (110W, 118.7W, 119W, 129W)
Distance: 38448km
Dish Setup Data
Elevation: 31.9°
Azimuth (true): 232.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 240.7°
Dish Skew [?]: 129.8°

Doing this would entail setting up a second dish at the campsite, replicating the set up I would have at home. Just like I've done with DTV for years. I assume that if I have a clear look at 240.7 degrees that I would get all the satelittes listed.

But in reading through the Dish TV website it appears that with the sling I could get programming through the internet. We will have our own DSL on our new site. Unlike where we are now where they have a 1 DSL line for the whole campground and the signal is abysimal at times. Would the internet and the sling give us all the DishTV channels without having to put up a second dish? How do i get a signal from the phone line to the 2 tv's I have in the travel trailer?

Hey guys. Back again with a few more questions. We decided to stick with DTV till now since I had my portable dish and tripod already set up. But we are making plans to move to another campground next year. There are trees blocking some of SW sky but it appears that if I get the 1000+ I should be ok. Here's the specs on that.

Satellite Data
Name: Dish 1000+ (110W, 118.7W, 119W, 129W)
Distance: 38448km
Dish Setup Data
Elevation: 31.9°
Azimuth (true): 232.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 240.7°
Dish Skew [?]: 129.8°

Doing this would entail setting up a second dish at the campsite, replicating the set up I would have at home. Just like I've done with DTV for years. I assume that if I have a clear look at 240.7 degrees that I would get all the satelittes listed.

But in reading through the Dish TV website it appears that with the sling I could get programming through the internet. We will have our own DSL on our new site. Unlike where we are now where they have a 1 DSL line for the whole campground and the signal is abysimal at times. Would the internet and the sling give us all the DishTV channels without having to put up a second dish? How do i get a signal from the phone line to the 2 tv's I have in the travel trailer?

I started to respond, but then I wasn't sure if you meant Sling as in Hopper with Sling or Sling.com streaming service. Could you specify? This just proves that reusing brands is a bad idea, Dish Network.

Reactions: JSheridan
I started to respond, but then I wasn't sure if you meant Sling as in Hopper with Sling or Sling.com streaming service. Could you specify? This just proves that reusing brands is a bad idea, Dish Network.
DishTV is all new to me. I've been with DTV for 20 years, but their cost is up 40% in the last year. Anyway I read where DishTV offers a sling adapter that you can carry when you travel. I wasn't sure how it intertaces with a TV or sound system. If I can use it off a DSL line, then I wouldn't need a second dish at the camper.

DishTV is all new to me. I've been with DTV for 20 years, but their cost is up 40% in the last year. Anyway I read where DishTV offers a sling adapter that you can carry when you travel. I wasn't sure how it intertaces with a TV or sound system. If I can use it off a DSL line, then I wouldn't need a second dish at the camper.

If you get a Dish Hopper with Sling or Hopper3 (with Sling), and you connect it to the Internet, you can use an Amazon Fire TV or FireStick streaming device to run the Dish Anywhere app to watch your content remotely. DSL should be fast enough to accomplish this, although picture quality at the remote location might suffer, depending on how much bandwidth the DSL line actually provides and how reliable that throughput is.

You can connect the FireTV or Stick to the Internet via wi-fi or ethernet, depending on which device you choose and how close the device is to your DSL router.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have additional or followup questions.

Thanks for the info. I have a Roku 3 that should work. Our DTV system has a dish with LNB and an 8 plex splitter to various rooms in our house. We have 4 boxes and carry a couple of them around to different rooms. One of the feeds has a power inserter that outputs 18v to power the LNB. Does Dish hardware have a similar setup?

Thanks for the info. I have a Roku 3 that should work. Our DTV system has a dish with LNB and an 8 plex splitter to various rooms in our house. We have 4 boxes and carry a couple of them around to different rooms. One of the feeds has a power inserter that outputs 18v to power the LNB. Does Dish hardware have a similar setup?

Roku does not offer the Dish Anywhere app as far as I know. FireStick ? Roku.

DISH Anywhere & Apps for Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire and More

Reactions: Cheddar_Head
No. dish doesn't use a power inserter, for one thing and with qa Hopper System the Hopper is wired in a specific and direct way. You cannot just move it to any other location. The Joeys can be interchanged, but why would you want to?

Reactions: morry holdings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts