DTV Day in Canada

Larobpra

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
North of "Upstate NY"
Being 25 miles from the the Canadian border, I've been watching for the Canadian transition to digital TV with much interest. So far the following have switched to digital:

CBC - CBOT - old - 4 - new - 25 ( have had this quite a while)
CityTV - old - 65 - new - 17 (have had this quite a while too)
Omni 1 & 2 - these have both been DTV for a while.
Global - old 6 - new 6 - was marginal, but good signal tonight. Switched 2 weeks ago.
CJOH - CTV - old - 13 - new - 13 - switched today
CHRO - CTV 2 - (FKA /A\ channel) - old 43 - new 43 - today
CTS - old - 32 - new 42 - today

Thought I had another Canadian station coming in on channel 29, but it's WUTV from Utica! Must be good tropo tonight.

Anyone else near the border or in Canada? It would be good to compare notes.

Being 25 miles from the the Canadian border, I've been watching for the Canadian transition to digital TV with much interest. So far the following have switched to digital:

CJOH - CTV - old - 13 - new - 13 - switched today

Anyone else near the border or in Canada? It would be good to compare notes.

Kewl...I hope ctv out of toronto switched over today. We get them on cable here too. The analog feed has been lousy for some time...so hopefully a new digitial picture will be similiar of the quality we get from cbc out of TO now.

What I find interesting is channels want to be on VHF Low for digital too

Both Thunder Bay stations are on their old analog spot for RF channel (2 & 4)

IN the states VHF Low is not recommended....

The tropo last night had the dial full for me with channels coming in from Syracuse to Hamilton. I live in Port Hope, ON. I am about 2 miles north of Lake Ontario. My location is bad for antenna, as I have a huge hill to the west that blocks a lot of the Toronto stations. Also a slow rise to the south with some mature trees for about a quarter of a mile. Last night even WBBZ was coming in, that was remarkable. No CBC or TVO last night. Still waiting for MeTV to come to WHEC, as they delayed the launch untill the end of this month.
CITY and OMNI are on a temporary tower. They are planning to move to the CN Tower about mid October.

I'm in suburban Buffalo and I was getting analog 5, 9, 11, 41, and 47 from Toronto. All I'm using is a 30+ year old set of rabbit ears on a second floor cathedral ceiling beam. They were all really snowy. The VHF stations always came in a bit better. Now I'm getting 9 (real 9) perfectly, maybe 2 little glitches in the picture an hour.. 5 (real 20) is a bit more unstable. Sometimes it'll be fine, sometimes it'll be too glitchy to watch, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. No sign of the other channels. Ahh, such is life on the digital cliff.

Channels from Thunder Bay are on VHF lo and also there is a Toronto channel 66 UHF. I would have thought that after the Canadian transition the channels would line up with American ones which only go as high as channel 51! I believe channels 52 to 69 (700 MHz) have been reallocated for 4G cell phones.

66 (52) is signing off in October

After the analogue television shutdown and digital conversion, which takes place on August 31, 2011,[13] CKXT-DT will remain on channel 66 until its sign off scheduled at the end of October. Through the use of PSIP, digital television receivers will display CKXT-DT's virtual channel as 52.1.

No CBC or TVO last night.
I was wrong, I had those two channels written down on another piece of paper. However, since CITY changed the next day from 53 to now 44, I have lost its reception. There is an analog repeater of CBC French on 44 that I receive. (in another direction) I believe it is knocking out my reception of CITY on 44. Hopefully once CITY and the OMNI's make their move to the CN Tower, I will be able to point in that direction and once again receive CITY. I am also surprised that CHEX 12 in Peterborough did not change to digital, and currently has no plans to change in the next couple of years.

Channels from Thunder Bay are on VHF lo and also there is a Toronto channel 66 UHF. I would have thought that after the Canadian transition the channels would line up with American ones which only go as high as channel 51! I believe channels 52 to 69 (700 MHz) have been reallocated for 4G cell phones.
OMNI 2 (old analog 14) was on 66 here prior to the transition but has relocated to 20 where SUN TV News was. It (SUN) has disappeared.

Last edited:
I am also surprised that CHEX 12 in Peterborough did not change to digital, and currently has no plans to change in the next couple of years.

they were not required per the CRTC

As of July 2010, CHEX-TV has not yet begun broadcasting in digital. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has not listed Peterborough as one of its mandatory markets for analogue television shutdown and digital conversion,[1] and therefore CHEX-TV will not be required to convert to digital transmissions on the transition date of August 31, 2011.

gee I bet there are lots of markets here in the states that wish that would have happened here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)