dtv dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ratshole

Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
want to get dvr from dtv. have no land line for phone. will it still work. i spoke to dtv. tech said didn't have to have phone line. email them and they said i had to have phone line. i have hd receiver with no phone line and it works. order ppv on pc. thought you guys would know. thanks

It doesn't require a landline phone after the first initial dial-in. I took mine to my dad's house for the first dial and then none since. That was over 2 years ago.

The DTV boxes don't require a phone line at all unless you want to order PPV with the remote. If you just use the PC for that you will be fine. The TIVO needs a phone line for setup.

(a friend told me);) ...I believe you can still order PPV without a phone line attached. The only problem is, Directv wouldnt know to bill you for the PPV until you hooked up a phone line. my friend used his old receivers to order PPV's and if I remember correctly, the limit was $300 before I (I mean my friend:devil:) started getting messages that I had to hook up a line before I could order more PPV's (not a problem because it was a old receiver, I just threw it out) food for thought

(a friend told me);) ...I believe you can still order PPV without a phone line attached. The only problem is, Directv wouldnt know to bill you for the PPV until you hooked up a phone line. my friend used his old receivers to order PPV's and if I remember correctly, the limit was $300 before I (I mean my friend:devil:) started getting messages that I had to hook up a line before I could order more PPV's (not a problem because it was a old receiver, I just threw it out) food for thought

johnml,
You can order using your computer or by calling into the phone line as well.
IF you order thru your remote, D* has no way to get the info ov you ordering, hence it won't show on your bill, but you will start to get error messages after a while, the amount is determined by D*, not a universal amount.

Jimbo

want to get dvr from dtv. have no land line for phone. will it still work. i spoke to dtv. tech said didn't have to have phone line. email them and they said i had to have phone line. i have hd receiver with no phone line and it works. order ppv on pc. thought you guys would know. thanks

Which DVR are you looking to get ?
The new HR20-700 does NOT need a phone line plugged in, but D* would like you to have one and also you can use you "Caller Id" withit plugged in.

If you are talking about getting the older HR10-250 then YES you will need a phone line plugged in to activate it.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts