DTV DVRs + New HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
Been gone off the forums for awhile now.. I don't think any new HD has been added has it? I am still with my HD Tivos and love their functionality. I know there were many complaints about the DTV DVR's have those issues been fixed? Is there any good reasons to upgrade to them from my DirecTivo's yet? Are they still trying to charge for the DTV DVR's? Or are they offering the free upgrades from the Tivos yet? Is the OTA tuner activated yet?

Been gone off the forums for awhile now.. I don't think any new HD has been added has it? I am still with my HD Tivos and love their functionality. I know there were many complaints about the DTV DVR's have those issues been fixed? Is there any good reasons to upgrade to them from my DirecTivo's yet? Are they still trying to charge for the DTV DVR's? Or are they offering the free upgrades from the Tivos yet? Is the OTA tuner activated yet?

1. New HD channels have been somewhat listed, at least the agreements are in place. They will not go live until at least the 1st Sat goes live. Many HD channels are waiting for D* before they go live, if you were that channel, why would you go HD if there is NO provider to show it ?

2. The majority of the issues have been fixed, D* has been working diligently to send updates and with each one, the unit gets better.
I personally have had very few problems since I got mine back in Sept. but others have had issues, the majority are taken care of.

3. Any good reasons to upgrade ? Yes, if your a sports fan, your local RSN may be up and running in HD, your Locals may be in HD, and you will need the new recievers to get the new HD cchannels as they will be in MPEG4 format, your HR10-250 onlt handles mpeg2.

4. Still trying to charge for DVR fee?, of course they are that will not change, TIVO charged $122 p/m if you went with strictly TIVO, no D*. when D* came into it, TIVO charged 5 p/m... so that chrge has always been there and probably will always be there.
D* now has different programming packages in which the HD and the DVR are automatically included, depending on what you have/ get.
btw, DISH charges for EACH DVR you own. D* only charges for the 1st DVR, so you pay the DVR fee on the first and nothing on 2- however many you decide to have.

5. Free upgrades, NO not yet, but depending on who you talk to and your status with D* you can get different discounts and price adjustments.
They may charge you and then ive you 12 months of a $10 monthly discount, everyone is different.

6. The OTA tuners have been activated since Dec. and working well . :)

Jimbo

1. New HD channels have been somewhat listed, at least the agreements are in place. They will not go live until at least the 1st Sat goes live. Many HD channels are waiting for D* before they go live, if you were that channel, why would you go HD if there is NO provider to show it ?

2. The majority of the issues have been fixed, D* has been working diligently to send updates and with each one, the unit gets better.
I personally have had very few problems since I got mine back in Sept. but others have had issues, the majority are taken care of.

3. Any good reasons to upgrade ? Yes, if your a sports fan, your local RSN may be up and running in HD, your Locals may be in HD, and you will need the new recievers to get the new HD cchannels as they will be in MPEG4 format, your HR10-250 onlt handles mpeg2.

4. Still trying to charge for DVR fee?, of course they are that will not change, TIVO charged $122 p/m if you went with strictly TIVO, no D*. when D* came into it, TIVO charged 5 p/m... so that chrge has always been there and probably will always be there.
D* now has different programming packages in which the HD and the DVR are automatically included, depending on what you have/ get.
btw, DISH charges for EACH DVR you own. D* only charges for the 1st DVR, so you pay the DVR fee on the first and nothing on 2- however many you decide to have.

5. Free upgrades, NO not yet, but depending on who you talk to and your status with D* you can get different discounts and price adjustments.
They may charge you and then ive you 12 months of a $10 monthly discount, everyone is different.

6. The OTA tuners have been activated since Dec. and working well . :)

Jimbo

Thanks for all these answers Jimbo! I knew they charged the DVR fee but its still free with the premier package right? Thats how it is for me now anyways. I have a lot of DVRs also the RV is a DVR so I save a ton of money by having the premier.. My wife complained about the premier package and we added it up and added all the DVR fees and I think it was about the same price or more with a lesser package hehehehe.

You think they will ever offer a free upgrade from the Tivo units to the new units? I think once they try to implement the new packages they might run into many disgruntled customers when they tell them they need to buy a new receiver to get more HD channels... I could be wrong but I have yet to buy a receiver ever for D* and I really hate to lose the functionality of the Tivo my wife has already said she would prefer us not get a "normal" dvr because she hates her parents DVR and she thinks the Tivo's are better. heh I just want more HD :D

Thanks for all these answers Jimbo! I knew they charged the DVR fee but its still free with the premier package right? Thats how it is for me now anyways. I have a lot of DVRs also the RV is a DVR so I save a ton of money by having the premier.. My wife complained about the premier package and we added it up and added all the DVR fees and I think it was about the same price or more with a lesser package hehehehe.

You think they will ever offer a free upgrade from the Tivo units to the new units? I think once they try to implement the new packages they might run into many disgruntled customers when they tell them they need to buy a new receiver to get more HD channels... I could be wrong but I have yet to buy a receiver ever for D* and I really hate to lose the functionality of the Tivo my wife has already said she would prefer us not get a "normal" dvr because she hates her parents DVR and she thinks the Tivo's are better. heh I just want more HD :D

hdtvtechno, answered your question (DVR w/premium)

I have never been able to afford the premier package, I might consider it though if you could get a sports sub outof it instead of the movie channels, seeing I rarely watch movies.

Offering a free upgrade to the new from TIVO ?
Probably not, but it may come down to like $99 eventually as they get closer to making the switch from mpeg 2 to 4, another year or so I would guess.

Implimenting into the new packages ? I havent went thru them to see what channels may have changed yet, but my bill will be the $ 69. variety regardless, seeing I have HD and a DVR .
Really when you add up what I am paying now with the HD and DVR fee's it comes out to be about the same anyways.

btw, what does your wife consider a "Normal" DVR, this unit is far from normal ...

Jimbo

hdtvtechno, answered your question (DVR w/premium)

I have never been able to afford the premier package, I might consider it though if you could get a sports sub outof it instead of the movie channels, seeing I rarely watch movies.

Offering a free upgrade to the new from TIVO ?
Probably not, but it may come down to like $99 eventually as they get closer to making the switch from mpeg 2 to 4, another year or so I would guess.

Implimenting into the new packages ? I havent went thru them to see what channels may have changed yet, but my bill will be the $ 69. variety regardless, seeing I have HD and a DVR .
Really when you add up what I am paying now with the HD and DVR fee's it comes out to be about the same anyways.

btw, what does your wife consider a "Normal" DVR, this unit is far from normal ...

Jimbo

Her parents have Comcast HD-DVR's and some friends of ours have Dish Network HD DVRs.. I think her girlfriend in FortWayne has FiOs DVR's She is a girl man she liked the bubble pop sounds, the learning what you like and it records shows you might be interested in etc... she just likes Tivo's lol

I dunno the other DVR's might record your interests I haven't checked I was just throwing out things she said she liked about our tivos when I said I wanted the new MPEG4 DVRs.

Her parents have Comcast HD-DVR's and some friends of ours have Dish Network HD DVRs.. I think her girlfriend in FortWayne has FiOs DVR's She is a girl man she liked the bubble pop sounds, the learning what you like and it records shows you might be interested in etc... she just likes Tivo's lol

I dunno the other DVR's might record your interests I haven't checked I was just throwing out things she said she liked about our tivos when I said I wanted the new MPEG4 DVRs.

Personally, I would NOT want it recording things that IT thought I'd like, thats a BIG waste of MY hard drive space.
although, I know you can turn it off on the TIVO's.
No , so far the HR20's do not do that, and I kinda doubt that it will, seeing I think D* did thier homework finding out what most like and what doesn't work.
With the exception to the Dual live buffers anyway.

jimbo

Personally, I would NOT want it recording things that IT thought I'd like, thats a BIG waste of MY hard drive space.
although, I know you can turn it off on the TIVO's.
No , so far the HR20's do not do that, and I kinda doubt that it will, seeing I think D* did thier homework finding out what most like and what doesn't work.
With the exception to the Dual live buffers anyway.

jimbo

The tivo recorded stuff takes up space but auto deletes if the space is needed... it just always keeps the HD full basically... however its not full to where nothing will record. As record lets say the Colts vs Patriots game if there is more space needed the tivo will start auto deleting programs it had saved that it thought I might enjoy... as it runs out of its programs and comes to ones I recorded it will warn me and tell me to delete some stuff to make room or cancel recording.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts