dtv genie and clients in central location

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dbean

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
USA
almost finished building our house, moving soon....finally!!

In each room I have the following drops, they are all home runs to central server room

2x cat6 stp -->used for hdmi over cat6
2x cat6 utp -->used for internet
2x rg6u video -->regular coax use

Is is possible to centralize the HR34 genie and all genie clients in the server rack?
All boxes would be connected to TV's via the hdmi over cat6 wall plates

here are the hdmi-cat6 wall plates: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1042501&p_id=8200&seq=1&format=2#description

My only concern is the remote range. I understand the HR34 uses RF remote, so that should work, but what about the genie clients?
If I use 2 or more IR extenders, will the signals get mixed up in the server room?

Thanks!

awesome, so the clients must have some type of switch from IR to RF?
Any comments on the RF range? The house is a ranch, so maximum the sig. would have to go through 1 floor.

what about OTA, I also installed an antenna in the attic before drywall went up. Could the antenna be hooked to the HR34, then scan in locals?

I don't have any personal experience with this, but have seen several with a device taped over the receivers infrared sensor fed over cat5 from a location where all the receivers were located. If I remember correctly the remotes were infrared & the work was done by home automation folks.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but have seen several with a device taped over the receivers infrared sensor fed over cat5 from a location where all the receivers were located. If I remember correctly the remotes were infrared & the work was done by home automation folks.

I have 1 of these:
http://hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=11

It's exactly like what you described, you tape the emitter over the IR sensor of the receiver.

My only concern with this is if you have 2 of the extender systems, 1 for each room, would you get cross talk?
You'd tape the emitter's over the respective sat. receiver; emitter1 - receiver1; emitter2 - receiver2. Would emitter1 cross talk to receiver2 since everything is in the server rack?

I'm a dtv newb; if this were dlshnet, you would just change each receiver's IR address to a dif. number. Not sure if this is possible with dtv's (somewhat lacking) receivers?

I have 1 of these:
http://hot-link.com/pages/products.cgi?mrchcatid=1&mrchid=11

It's exactly like what you described, you tape the emitter over the IR sensor of the receiver.

My only concern with this is if you have 2 of the extender systems, 1 for each room, would you get cross talk?
You'd tape the emitter's over the respective sat. receiver; emitter1 - receiver1; emitter2 - receiver2. Would emitter1 cross talk to receiver2 since everything is in the server rack?

You can change the remote address so it will not interfere with each other.

You can change the remote address so it will not interfere with each other.

great, thanks for the info everyone.
Who thought you'd be able to mount thin client sat. receivers to the wall in your server room? LOL

I'll post some pics when it's all setup.

Install the receivers behind the TV's, thats why they are small enough to do so.

Its not worth the hassle trying to install everything in 1 central rack

if the centralized approach doesn't work, I will.
But, Ive spent thousands on devices & wiring up to this pt, and pulled over 10K feet of wire...i'm determined to see it through.

The only catch I can see while changing remote is address is to do 1 at a time with the others unplugged.

I use my client rf stacked ontop of my hr34 both are in a ventelated closet with wires fished to the attic and through walls. Both work perfectly, however the remotes to receiver range is only like 20' in either direction. I would assume you would have more issues with hdmi over cat6 than rf remotes. Make sure everything is hdcp and 3d complient if needbe.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

I use my client rf stacked ontop of my hr34 both are in a ventelated closet with wires fished to the attic and through walls. Both work perfectly, however the remotes to receiver range is only like 20' in either direction. I would assume you would have more issues with hdmi over cat6 than rf remotes. Make sure everything is hdcp and 3d complient if needbe.

thanks for your reply.

here is the hdmi - cat6 wall plate I got:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=8200&seq=1&format=2

Out of 27 reviews of the wall plate, 1 person mentions using it on a direcTV receiver and said it works great with a 75' run of cat6.
I made sure to use 23 awg shielded cat6, all keystones and ends will also be shielded. I will also use 24awg quality hdmi cables.

Anyone have experience using hdmi over cat6 with direcTV receivers?

I use a 35' hdmi cable with directv an a 55" lg led 3d tv with no problems. You may need to power that plate, but it says thats already built in if you do need to. My 3d works fine too, but when i read into cat5 cabling (which i get for free so i didnt wanna pay for cat6) it said the adapters were not hdmi1.4 or 3d ready, so i went with a cable. Not really what your looking for i know, but i can tell you the rf stuff should work fine.

last night, for the heck of it, I made up two 75-100' cat5e cables and plugged in the hdmi-cat6 extender plate....worked great with my dish vip722!
So well, I unhooked the 2nd vip722 in our bedroom and returned it to the local retailer; we don't need it any longer, nor do we need the extra fees.

I didn't have any UHF dish remotes, so i hooked up my hotlink XL IR remote extender with another cat5e cable and it's also working great.

only prob is 3 cat5e cables across our apartment! We'll be out of here soon though.
I hope the hotlink XL extender and hdmi-cat6 wall plates work this good using dtv equipment.

If dealing with RF remotes or IR repeaters is too bothersome, why not just use a home network remote ? Obviously you will have the whole system attached to your home network. You can leave all your receivers centralized, just name each one the room it is feeding. Non current generation Iphone/Ipad/Androids are cheaper than RF remotes and the response lag is no more than that of RF or IR repeater/range extender. So you have an old Ipod touch in every room ,only issue would be you can not control TV volume .

Sorry but I have a problem of over simplifying things and thinking outside the box.

If dealing with RF remotes or IR repeaters is too bothersome, why not just use a home network remote ? Obviously you will have the whole system attached to your home network. You can leave all your receivers centralized, just name each one the room it is feeding. Non current generation Iphone/Ipad/Androids are cheaper than RF remotes and the response lag is no more than that of RF or IR repeater/range extender. So you have an old Ipod touch in every room ,only issue would be you can not control TV volume .

Sorry but I have a problem of over simplifying things and thinking outside the box.

will def. be doing this, we have a few iPad mini's...Would also like to have remotes though for gma & gpa when they visit!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts