DTV HD receiver not picking up satellite signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheBurninator

Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hey,

I'm a newbie to the forums obviously so I don't know satellite jargon, but I do know about running cables and whatnot.

So here's my problem, I just rearranged the furniture in the house, and had to move the receiver (hd) across the room. I purchased a 50ft coax to temporarily wire the connection until it could be rerouted, but it's simply not receiving a signal from the satellite. Could it be from the length of the cable? We also have a minor problem of house shifting from recent heavy rains and think that may have something to do with it.

LMK what you guys think, or if there's anything else I can try.

Corey

(BTW, it's an oval sattelite with 3 LNP's)

You have the elliptical 3 LNB (PhaseIII) dish.

What receiver(s)?

When you ran the temp RG6 cable; where is it to & from?

In doing this did you bypass an external multi-switch or any other piece(s) of hardware?

The length of that RG6 is not an issue.

Model #H20

The temp cable is just from the connector the DTV guy put in the wall from the satellite (no modified pathways, just longer cable from the wall)

Also it worked for a few minutes before completely losing signal. I had been watching Comedy Central (249) then switched to DSC (278) and that's precisely when it lost signal once and for all.

What happens when you swap the temp cable back out with one that you KNOW works? Do you have other receivers that are working?

well the receiver is about 30ft away from the wall, and that cable is only 5ft long, but i suppose i could test it. Also, there are no other receivers in the house connected, although i do have a non-hd receiver laying around still.

Just simply trying to rule things out; right now you have no way of knowing where exactly the issue is. Another working receiver elsewhere in the home would have ruled out dish issues. Right now you are in trial and error mode. If you place the known working cable back an you are working again, then its the cable. If not; maybe the dish is out of alignment like you think.

Ok, the smaller cable DOES work, which confirms that something is fishy with that cable. Is there a specific TYPE of cable used in this kind of signal?

well it came from walmart, and it said it was HD quad-shielded cable, so i'm not understanding why it's not working...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts