DTV International Set Up? 101 + 95

Status
Please reply by conversation.

canekid

Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Bump -

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20407

I'll have you know this message was very helpful for me. I had a hard time finding answers, but this message really hit the spot.

In this case I was installing the R15 - New DirecTV Plus DVR and the International Dish, 36" dual LNB. The 95 sat location being liniar. As of December 2, 2005, you can get Russian channels, the best selection over North America.

We had to setup as a single LNB curcular dish in the receiver to get 101, then 95 came in with auto config / autodetect. There was an update already available from 101, before activation.

Special notes: You can not select dual oval and expect the receiver to detect the switch properly. Also, you must connect both tuners up before powering on the receiver for the first time. It will not see the LNBs and switches after power on. There must be something in the firmware that if it does not see them at power on, then they do not exist.

Following this message I will fill in from the original post as it is more than a year old.

cosmoe 12-06-2004 08:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTV International Set Up ?

Ok Ive done Para Todos set up with the oval dish, but have not done any of the other international set up's for the South Asian, Vetnamese and Chinese. Ive heard it take's a 30' dish, anybody done one yet ? if so can you feed me some info please b 4 I look stupider then I am. Thanks.

ramcm7 12-06-2004 09:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wiring in to the system and setting up the 95 sat is the same as for the 72.5. I am not a tech. I just got to be the guinea pig first 95 customer for my installer. My observations from my install of the 95 dish.
1. It is a big dish and will take more time to assemble than an 18" or Oval. As it is so large, it has additional tie downs, limiting where it can be mounted. I wanted mine on the side of the house; it ended up going on the roof.
2. Make sure you have a bird dog or similar to make sure you are locking in the right satellite.
3. Ensure *ALL* STB's are tuned to channel 201 or 100, including both tuners on a TiVo. Why this is necessary, I do not know exactly, but it appears to prevent recognition of the Flex Port sats.

My installers did not have high end signal detectors. They would find a signal, lock it in without knowing if it was the right sat, and then run the startup without having all STB's on 201 or 100. Once the sat was set up, they tried for 2.5 hours to get the 95 sat recognized in the system. They came back the next day with a good signal meter, locked on the correct sat, restarted with the knowledge of the need to tune to 201 and 100 and recognized the 95 bird. They had it done in less than half an hour the second time, including long resets for 2 STB's.

Also note that the DVR40's I got a few days later had a bit of a goofy setup. At least in version 3.1.1d, for the intial setup, there is no Autodetect. You have to go through a regular setup without the STB seeing the 95 sat. Then, you have to rerun the setup through Autodetect to recognize the 95 sat. Pretty shortsighted development, if you ask me.

As I said, I am not a tech and only know what I gather here and at other forums, so I don't know what extra wiring they may played with on the roof. I understand this sat is a lower-powered Ku band (hence, need for bigger dish) and has horizontal and vertical polarity instead of circular polarity like the other DBS sats. What that means, I do not really know.

Hope this helps.

dishjockey 12-07-2004 05:37 AM

This was sent to me from i-pro. Looks like having a birdog is the way to go.

Subject : Instructions to 95 satellite

Date : Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:12:20 -0500
Subject: 95.0 SATELLITE INFO

Information provided by a subcontractor for Installation Pro LLC:

Mounting:

1) Roof Mount- NOT recommended- size & weight of dish catches too much wind ( Bracket not sturdy enough)

2) Wall Mount- Brick wall W/Anchors is fine – This is a Stronge hold. ( Recommended )

3) Pole Mount: Also Recommended- but must use 80 lb of concrete w/ bracket around pole submerged in the concrete to keep the pole from spinning after concrete drys. Customer will have to pay for pole,concrete, trenching extra. Pole Size : 1 5/8 ( same as pole size on 18” dish )

4) IT IS EXTREMELY IMPERATIVE THAT THE MOUNT THAT IS USED MUST BE LEVEL OR IT WILL THROW OFF THE COORDINANCE.

PEAKING THE 95.0 SATELLITE :

1) Hook the pre made jumpers to both LNB’s & let them hang for now. ( You will need them easy access for test leads).

2) Forget about 101 for now- find the 95 FIRST.

3) Hook jumper from 95 straight to LNB port on meter. Also hook line from receiver to meter .

4) At this point get coordinance pamplet from dish box & match up to YOUR area.

5) Aim the dish DIRECTLY at that coordinance & set elevation for what the pamplet says.

6) At this point you are close enough to find.

7) Snug dish bolts so dish can turn ,but not wobble.

8) Set Polarazation on 95 LNB

9) With the fitting facing the ground at Zero (East coast set at 4 pm )

10) Peak Dish W/Meter - there will be NO signal bar for the 95.0 yet. Rely at this point solely on your meter,

11) Disconnect jumper of 95 LNB & hook up jumper for 101.

12) Roll 101 LNB up or down to peak in the 101 satellite signal also.

13) Once you have both signals you hook ALL jumpers from LNB’s to Multi-Switch to the proper ports ( 2 FROM 101 TO SIDE a 18V 13V ) & ( 1 FROM THE 95.0 TO SIDE B 18V)

14) Now go into receiver menu & run a Auto Configuration - It will take about 10- 15 minutes each time.

15) After Auto Configuration turn to channel 497- banner on bottom of channel should say test 8 95.0 satellite.

If YES - Take 95 LNB jumper off Multi-Switch & hook back to meter. Peak Dish Again & After that Repeake the 95 LNB Polarazation by Turning Slowly either way until Highest Signal- Then Re-Peak both of them Again & Lock Dish Down. By Having the banner on channel 497 that says 95.0 satellite you now can pull up Signal screen on receiver _ where the block is that says SAT A – using the button on the remote above the “ OK “ button- You can change the Sat to 95.0 & ( NOW & ONLY NOW WILL YOU HAVE A SIGNAL BAR TO PEAKE IN & TWEAK THE POLARAZATION OF THE 95.0.

A) Now - Hook jumper from 101 & peak signal by Rotating To highest Signal.

( Signal Strength on 95.0 Will reach 96%) ( Signal Strength on 101 Will reach 99% )

B) Now – Hook Multi-Switch back Up- & Finish Install & Activate.

NOTE : IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 1 RECEIVER - AFTER INSTALL IS FINISHED YOU MUST GO TO EACH RECEIVER & RUN A AUTO CONFIGURATION / AUTO DETECTION ON EACH RECEIVER TO ADD 95.00 TO EACH RECEIVER.

IF NO: Hook jumper from 95.0 LNB back up to meter & Move Dish A little either way REAL SLOW while also adjusting the elevation by a few degrees up & down until you hit another satellite. Then Hook jumper from 101 back to meter--Peak--then run Another AUTO CONFIGURATION / AUTO DETECTION from receiver Menu. EACH TIME YOU RUN THE AUTO CONFIGURATION / AUTO DETECTION YOU MUST HOOK THE MULTI- SWITCH BACK UP TO BOTH LNB’S BEFORE EACH DETECTION. KEEP REPEATING THIS PROCESS UNTIL YOU FIND THE 95.0 SATELLITE. CHECK CHANNEL 497 AFTER EACH DETECTION TO SEE IF YOUR ON THE 95.0. PEAK BOTH LNB’S TO HIGHEST LEVELS.

Additionally the Birdog satellite finder made a great difference in our installation. Without it, even if you find 101 and tweek it to 95, you may still end up on the wrong sat and not complete your install. Only the Birdog will tell you what satellite you are peeking.

Birdog-Meter%20(3).JPG

Last edited:
guys,

there are two different setups for the 95. the ones i did over the summer (pain in the ass) were either the 18 single or a phase 3 THEN a different 30 inch dish with the linear lnb all coupled thru a flex port equipped multiswitch fed thru the D10 ird.....it took forever!!!
the new one i saw another area manager with the other day, was a single dish, 36 oval with one dual lnb and a linear lnb attached to it. a better setup if you ask this sat dog. still a flex port multiswitch, but he says the D11 sees it almost immediatly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts