DTV - Lower Signal Strength on 103ca

Tim Hundley

Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Virginia
Recently, my signal strength on 103ca for transponders 1-8 has dipped down into the 80's on a clear day. I always got signals 95+ on every satellite prior to this. Currently, all other satellites are in the high 90's. I assumed the dish got a bit out of alignment, so I called in DTV for $100. Technician came out spent 10 min at the dish and came back and said his equipment meters are telling him he is right on. Signals did not really improve, maybe a point or two. Here are the current signals on 1-8:

1) 89 2) 87 3) 88 4) 88 5) 88 6) 85 7) 80 8) 81

Transponders 9-24 are all in the high 90's.

First, I don't really understand what the transponders do. But if they each broadcast different channels, then I am likely to lose channels on 1-8 much faster on an overcast day. This concerns me more because I was told most of my HD channels come from 103ca.

Second, I don't understand why this suddenly changed and the technician is telling me the dish is perfectly aligned.

Any thoughts on what this could be. I still think the technician has not aligned the dish the best he can. Do they only go by meters or does it take some kind of talent to do it?

Not a problem I thuink. TPs 1-8 have been at zero for a while while DirecTV moved some of its satellites around in preparation for the end of SD transmissions. My guess is that the transponders are live again, maybe at a slightly lower power level. We'll see how things develop.
103ca Transponders 1-8

Tps. 1-8 at 103(ca) are newly activated transponders from the T15 satellite that recently returned to 103W from temporary service at 101W. And tps. 9-24 are from the T12 satellite at 103W.

The system data in the program guide stream show that the 119W Spanish and international channels mirrored in A3 format on 99W Reverse Band and the Puerto Rico A3 locals on the Ka band on SW-2 are all scheduled to be moved to T15 there.

However, a former DIRECTV engineer on the forum here said DIRECTV is currently having issues with a couple of the satellite uplink stations to be used by T15. So the formal transfer of programming to that satellite is going to take more time than expected.

And could also be the reason for the sub-standard signal level readings on tps. 1-8 103(ca) for now.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reactions: comp9
The last time I had one sat lower than the rest it turned out to be water in a barrel connector on the line to that receiver.

Is this happening on one or all receivers?

Personally, mine right now on the 103 ca are 95 and up.

Then again, I looked at the 101 and its almost all 100's (didn't think I would ever see that), must be a good night out there ...

DTV is waiving the $100 fee. So no waste there. This is happening on all receivers. I was good with the explanation regarding the power level on T1-8. However, Jimbo's comment about receiving 95+ on 103ca does not align to the explanation very well. Also, you would think technical support or the field technicians would know that if it is related to the turnup of the transponders. All I know if that I am getting signal levels on a very clear day of < 85 on some transponders. Can anyone tell me what channels transmit on T 1-8?

I don't think there are any live channels yet. Post from Hotat2 suggests there are uplink issues to be resolved before the ;programming is transferred.
Incidentally when I checked yesterday I had 80s on TPs 1-8 also.

DTV is waiving the $100 fee. So no waste there. This is happening on all receivers. I was good with the explanation regarding the power level on T1-8. However, Jimbo's comment about receiving 95+ on 103ca does not align to the explanation very well. Also, you would think technical support or the field technicians would know that if it is related to the turnup of the transponders. All I know if that I am getting signal levels on a very clear day of < 85 on some transponders. Can anyone tell me what channels transmit on T 1-8?
My numbers are normally not THAT high ... I was surprised when I looked tonight.
Typically they are all in the 90's though, a few in the high 80's is fine as well.

103ca.jpg

and it is currently raining. I installed and aimed my dish myself.

Rain itself usually does not affect the signal. You need heavy attenuation in the line of sight between your dish and the satellite. Solid red areas on the weather radar. It's the stuff inside the storm clouds which is the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts