DTV Mexico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fredm@meer.net

Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
I recently moved to Mexico, about 3 hrs West of Mexico City. I have a US Subscription to DTV and brought my equipment with me. Of course it doesn't work. I understand that I need a larger dish. I have a 10 foot mess dish available to me. Can I adapt my dual LNB from my 18" dish and make it work? If not what suggestions might you have so that I can receice the programming i was receiving in the states. There were no 'spot' channels.

Thank you.
Fred

The Latin American signal are beamed from another sat location just call D* and they can set you up with the proper equip.

you can get directv in mexico and the caribbian areas, it is illegal to recieve it and against the law. if you want to stay legal, go to pan am sat and subscribe to all the spanish language programming on that service. why do a bunch of you want to circumvent the law?

ps in about a year it will all be spot beamed and then you get no signal in the third world!!!

back at ya!!!!

HELLO , LIGHTS ON NO ONE HOME, at your skull!!!

directv does the REPUBLIC of the USA

directv OWNS PANAMSAT

PANAMSAT controls and distributes ALL programming in central and south america

YOU CAN NOT recieve directv out side of the united states of america LEGALLY

dont believe me , read the contract you signed or the boxes that your irds or dish came in

.....awaiting a COHERENT response :cool:

i directed him to legally call D* and get the proper equip to receive the D* latin not illegal NA signal.

robert luzzi said:
you can get directv in mexico and the caribbian areas, it is illegal to recieve it and against the law. if you want to stay legal, go to pan am sat and subscribe to all the spanish language programming on that service. why do a bunch of you want to circumvent the law?

Please cite for me the law that is being circumvented.

Rules? Yes. Guidelines? Yes. Laws? No.

International copyright law, international treaties, and likely Mexican broadcast laws. DirecTV does not have the right to distribute the copyrighted material in Mexico that they do in the US. They also do not have a license to broadcast using their DBS slots in space to Mexico, only to the US.

Now, I haven't been around satelliteguys.us for a while, but is getting ExpressVU/StarChoice in the USA frowned upon here? If not, what is the difference here? He could just use an address broker and a bigger dish just like those getting Canadian services do.

I live close to the border with Mexico. You'd be suprised the # of DirecTV & Dishnetwork dishes in Mexico. I'm sure cracking down on ppl in Mexico watching U.S. satellite TV is the last thing on the minds of the Authorities down there.

I've known quite a few retired couples with RV satellite accounts who take their RV's ( with satellite systems ) to RV parks on the West Coast of Mexico. I've never heard from them about being hassled.

There is a regular cottage industry in parts of Central America turning out homemade fiberglass 10' and bigger dishes for watching DirecTV and Dishnet.

JosephB said:
International copyright law, international treaties, and likely Mexican broadcast laws. DirecTV does not have the right to distribute the copyrighted material in Mexico that they do in the US. They also do not have a license to broadcast using their DBS slots in space to Mexico, only to the US.

DirecTV does not have the rights to distribute the copyrighted material in Mexico. BEV does not have the rights to distribute copyrighted material in the U.S.

However, as a consumer, you are not bounded by buying copyrighted materials from the copyright holder only in your country. In other words, if I am interested in the NHL in the U.S., I have no obligation to buy it from Dish Network or DirecTV, if I can find a cheaper foreign source, e.g. CBC's HNIC from BEV or Star Choice, if I am only interested in Toronto's or Montreal's games...

As long as the country I am living in has no import embargo, or a law that prohibits buying copyrighted material from a foreign source, I am fully entitled to do so.

U.S.A. doesn't have such a law. Canada, through the Supreme Court clarification, had such a law from April 2002 to October 2004. During that period, it's illegal for Canadians to buy TV contents from foreign sources (read: subbing DirecTV or Dish Network). Then on October 28, 2004, a Quebec court repuriated this clarification, saying that it's against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom to prohibit Canadians from getting foreign TV contents...

So, it's OK to do it in Canada. Its' OK to do it in the U.S. International copyright law doesn't apply to consumer. So what's left? Which Mexican broadcast law prohibits her citizens from subbing to American/Canadian DBS? or worse yet, even prohibits visitors from getting DirecTV/Dish signals from their RVs?

I bet there is no such law...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)