DTV Pal

Hi Guys! I’ve been a lurker for some time now learning a lot! :) Now I need your help.

I have Panny DMR-EH75V that I use to record stuff off of DirecTv via their D10-300 receiver that I bought on eBay specifically to use because TVGOS said it was the only compatible D* receiver that works with TVGOS. After a lot of message board surfing I finally got it to work and it has been working for almost 2 years now! :) This setup actually needs an OTA antenna to work-don't know why D* guide data for TVGOS would require it. I assumed it got the D* guide data from the D10-300 receiver but apparently not. But since it works I won't question it. Well, I bought a DTVPal so that I will be ready when Analog (along with Analog TVGOS) goes away in Feb. 2009. After reading the DTVPal manual to set up their "solution" to Analog TVGOS devices and seeing that it now wants me to reconfigure my Panny's TVGOS setup to use a "fake" zip code so that it can download the guide data from the correct digital channel, it makes me wonder what kind of guide data I will get? Especially that it also asks me to change the TVGOS setup on the Panny to "Cable with a Cable Box". It was originally set to "Antenna" and "DirecTV". If I set it to what the DTVPal wants, will I now only get the local channel guide information? How will it get the DirecTV guide data? If I use the "pass-thru" feature of the DTVPal instead, will the DTVPal convert the Digital version of TVGOS back to analog? If so, what channel would it put the converted data on? I don't even know if my local DMA (San Diego) is even broadcasting the Digital Version of TVGOS yet. Anyone know where I can find that info? However, my main question here is, can anyone try to help me understand what I need to do with the DTVPal to continue doing what currently works with Analog TVGOS, OTA Antenna, DirecTV Receiver and Panny DMR-EH75V? Thanks in advance! :)

1. I currently own none of this equipment, so what follows is my WAG.
  2. To my knowledge, no customer has gotten his DTVpal to convert digital TVGOS data to analog TVGOS data. So if you get this to work correctly, you may be the first.
  3. Do not put the DTVpal into passthrough mode! Simply put it into TVGOS mode.
  4. Leave the Panny in Antenna/DirectTV mode. That's assuming you want to record off your D10 rather than your DTVpal.
  5. Do not reconfigure your Panny, other than to change the "fake" zip code. This will allow the Panny to get the TVGOS data by tuning into the correct channel coming out of the DTVpal. Theoretically speaking.
  6. Since the Panny will continue issuing IR commands to your D10, e.g. to turn on at the appropriate time and to change channels, these signals will not go to the DTVpal. This may be OK if you never want to use the DTVpal to record local channels. This may not work if the DTVpal can't automatically find the local CBS affiliate for it's digital TVGOS data. I'm guessing it can do that automatically, or else you're in a chicken-or-egg scenario getting the TVGOS data through to your TVGOS device.
  7. Did I mention this is a WAG?

any retail locations selling these yet?

NTIA Certification Approves Retailer to Accept Coupons for Digital TV
Conversion

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., July 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In preparation
for America's transition to digital television on Feb. 17, 2009, Sears
announced today that it will sell the DTVPal(TM) digital-to-analog
converter box by DISH Network(R) in 511 of its full-line stores nationwide
and at 194 Sears Dealer stores.

Of course, this is just over half of the approximately 926 full-line Sears stores, and less than 10% of the approximately 2,400 dealer stores, so YMMV. I got mine last week in Springfield, OR.

Of course, this is just over half of the approximately 926 full-line Sears stores, and less than 10% of the approximately 2,400 dealer stores, so YMMV. I got mine last week in Springfield, OR.
Sears is new, and many (most) of the employees don't have a clue.
I told a buddy about 'em Sunday, and he found one at Sears Monday.
One of the Long Beach stores (south of Los Angeles).
That was after trying two or three other locations.
Calling around is not worth the effort - just drop in any stores you happen to be driving by, and take a look for yourself.
Hopefully, this'll all change in a week or two , once the Sears folks learn how to spell: DTVpal. - :cool:

Sears is new, and many (most) of the employees don't have a clue.

When I called them to find out when they might be getting them in, the person told me, "We have the Magnavox box, and some new off-brand one with a weird name." I asked my question, and they said, "Yeah, that's the new one, DTVPal."

1. I currently own none of this equipment, so what follows is my WAG.
  2. To my knowledge, no customer has gotten his DTVpal to convert digital TVGOS data to analog TVGOS data. So if you get this to work correctly, you may be the first.
  3. Do not put the DTVpal into passthrough mode! Simply put it into TVGOS mode.
  4. Leave the Panny in Antenna/DirectTV mode. That's assuming you want to record off your D10 rather than your DTVpal.
  5. Do not reconfigure your Panny, other than to change the "fake" zip code. This will allow the Panny to get the TVGOS data by tuning into the correct channel coming out of the DTVpal. Theoretically speaking.
  6. Since the Panny will continue issuing IR commands to your D10, e.g. to turn on at the appropriate time and to change channels, these signals will not go to the DTVpal. This may be OK if you never want to use the DTVpal to record local channels. This may not work if the DTVpal can't automatically find the local CBS affiliate for it's digital TVGOS data. I'm guessing it can do that automatically, or else you're in a chicken-or-egg scenario getting the TVGOS data through to your TVGOS device.
  7. Did I mention this is a WAG?
Thanks for the helpful hints Krell! I guess I'll have to wait until Feb 2009 to find out if it actually works!

Updated/correction to my post above. I now own a DTVpal. :) So now I can spam 10 different threads here and on AVSforum with my astute observations. ;)

Thanks for the helpful hints Krell! I guess I'll have to wait until Feb 2009 to find out if it actually works!

Actually, you can start experimenting as soon as your CBS affiliate is broadcasting the digital TVGOS data. Some are broadcasting it right now today.

any retail locations selling these yet?

More locations to come?

D&H Adds Product Categories

July 30, 2008

D&H Distributing said this week that it has begun carrying products in several lines of “emerging technologies.” These include such categories as voice-activated GPS, HDTV tuners and converters, plug-in home automation devices and others.

Specific products coming from D&H in the second half of this year include the Garmin Nuvi 880 GPS unit, Gefen’s high-end connectivity products, the Echostar DTVPal from Sling Media <bold added>, HDHomeRun, the LocalCast device from ZeeVee, and home automation products from ZWave.

“The market never gets tired of developing new ways to transfer digital content from location to location, whether that’s from room to room within the home, from the desktop to the television, or in reverse from the television to the PC,” D&H’s president of purchasing, Rob Eby, said as part of the announcement. He added that the company’s philosophy is to support “nascent technologies” and evangelize them to the market, leading to benefits for its clients.

For more information on D&H’s offerings, visit www.dandh.com

D&H Adds Product Categories : Dealerscope

This is probably a really stupid question, but do you need to have DISH Network to use it? I'm stuck with Comcast and am wondering if it will work with Comcast. Thanks!

It's an over-the-air digital TV converter box. It does not tune in cable channels, nor satellite channels. You hook it up to your TV antenna. Contracts with Dish or other pay TV providers are irrelevant.

As a beta tester you shouldn't post this.
I don't see any connection between FW and smart card, exclude process of encrypted/restricted channels during normal use.

i'm only enjoined against posting insider or confidential information.

i should have noted that I was speculating since I really have no knowledge beyond that which can be gained from observation.

My Bad!!

What's going on with this DTV Pal???? I ordered two by phone on 8/28 as online would only allow you to buy one and referred a number to call. After repeating information over and over, especially the codes from the coupons, and security codes, I was finally told they would be shipped in about three business days. On 9/13 (last Saturday), after having been billed on my Discover the 28th, I called to inquire and after about half an hour of apologies for being placed on hold, I was asked for the codes from the cards all over since "that is how they track the order". I would guess many will toss the discount cards out after ordering, SO DON'T!!! After another twenty minutes on hold, was told they were having difficulty processing the order again and to hold. I told them they had my number (gave it to them again), and to CALL ME once they had figured out how to send something they collected money on weeks ago. Well, yes, it's now Monday night, and my hour spent Saturday night (plus the hour from the 28th) are obviously all in vain. No call. No email. Nadda nuttin honey. Will give them til next Monday on the ray of hope that they finally placed the order and see if anything shows. Now, if I was a betting man..............................

Yep, Echostar missed their opportunity to get in before a lot of people got their coupons. I was wanting to get their unit but my coupons expire in a few days so I will probably have to get them at Wal-Mart and pay the $10 difference and see how they work. Unfortunately the two that they sell are not the best, one an RCA that does not have as good of sensitivity from what I've read and the Magnavox having an even worse rating (some dead out of the box) although they have better sensitivity on the signals but will not stay locked on them that well and have a worse picture quality.

I bought two different converter boxes one was the DTVPal and the other was the RCA that Walmart was selling. I love the menus on the DTV Pal, the guide and timers but the DTV Pal cannot hold a decent signal (drops from 70 to 46 on strength meter) and pixalates and stutters when trying to watch. However the RCA converter box I picked up from Walmart while I hate the menu's and the guide I get perfect playable reception at 14% reception (which I imagine equals the same as the DTV Pal) So just from experience the RCA trumps the DTV pal on watchability, but not so much with the on screen menu and guide.

So just from experience the RCA trumps the DTV pal on watchability, but not so much with the on screen menu and guide.

Your having the same problem? And I thought it was a faulty unit as it shouldn't pixelate at 98% signal which is what I'm getting with the DB2 Indoors. Anyone know Dish's return policy because as you said, the RCA basic converter trumps the Pal. Weird thing is using RG59 over RG6 increased the signal strength on every station by +5. Odd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)