DTV question

wetz73

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Eureka, IL
Forgive me if this has been asked before (I couldn't find a thread so if there is one, I wouldn't mind the link!), but I have a question about the DTV change in February. Our local digital OTA channels are the HD carriers for ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox while the only way to get the SD versions OTA of those channels is via the analog signal. When it all goes digital, do those converters change the HD signal over to SD? And, through E*, do those channels automatically become HD or are they going to be down-converted to SD? Thanks in advance!

On SD receivers you will still see SD downconverted pictures. Quality of picture may improve but I expect most are already viewing downconverted digital channels as the changeover date is getting close.

Forgive me if this has been asked before (I couldn't find a thread so if there is one, I wouldn't mind the link!), but I have a question about the DTV change in February. Our local digital OTA channels are the HD carriers for ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox while the only way to get the SD versions OTA of those channels is via the analog signal. When it all goes digital, do those converters change the HD signal over to SD? And, through E*, do those channels automatically become HD or are they going to be down-converted to SD? Thanks in advance!

Yes, the converter box will allow the digital signal to be shown on a SD TV. If the digital signal is transmitting a HD program, it will be downconverted.

As far as E* goes, you will continue to receive your locals in SD until E* launches them in HD.

Remember, Digital does not equal HD.

Right now, I get locals in HD only OTA, but if those same channels I am getting in HD are the digital channels that by law have to be the standard and I'm assuming are what will be carried by E*, are they downconverted until E* adds them as HD locals?

Right now, I get locals in HD only OTA, but if those same channels I am getting in HD are the digital channels that by law have to be the standard and I'm assuming are what will be carried by E*, are they downconverted until E* adds them as HD locals?

NOTHING is going to change with present HD channels. The only downconversion will be through the converter boxes used by SD TV owners who currently get their stations with analog signals.

The local digital (ours are the HD's, at least the main networks) will be sent to E* in HD so it won't be downconverted even though E* doesn't carry our locals in HD? This is the main question I have been uneloquently dancing around! Seems to me that E* will downconvert.

you E* service WILL NOT CHANGE. you will still be getting your SD channels and if you happen to have HD locals available through dish, you will get those (assuming you pay for an HD package). The only thing that will change will be on dish's end and will be transparent to you.

Now, as far as OTA goes, they will be broadcasting in HD/SD (depending on the show that is currently on) and if it is in HD then the converter box will downconvert it to work with your SD set.

you E* service WILL NOT CHANGE. you will still be getting your SD channels and if you happen to have HD locals available through dish, you will get those (assuming you pay for an HD package). The only thing that will change will be on dish's end and will be transparent to you.

Now, as far as OTA goes, they will be broadcasting in HD/SD (depending on the show that is currently on) and if it is in HD then the converter box will downconvert it to work with your SD set.

Thank you!

incinnati test of digital TV

Tonight at 7:31 all the TV stations will go digital broadcasting as a test of the conversion that is set for Feb. So you can see how Dish will take care of the feeds, if you live in the Cincinnati area.

All of our local stations are running an analog shut down test today at 7am, 12 noon, 6:30pm and 9 pm today for 2 minutes at each time.

Their analog transmission displays a red WARNING page for 2 minutes saying you will lose your OTA signal in February if you don't get a digital conversion of sometype. Their digital signal displays a green pagesaying you are OK.

I checked the SD locals through Dish and all but one showed the correct screen, so dish must be already receiving the digital format on most of the local channels.