dtv south of the border.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by prop, Dec 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM.

1. prop

prop Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Family

i spend the winters in southern mexico and have been getting most of the 101 transponders with a 10 ft dish down here.i heard that people were losing channels here.when i got back here this week i tried setting up my dish and i`m only getting 18 transponders.i use to get 24.of the 18 i get ,the signal is over 90 on most of them,i always bring one of my ird`s back and forth it`s a hr24 500.i can`t get the settings to change to a single 18 round dish.it says no sat signal detected and then the guide will load to 98% but then stops.tried using swm switch and still no good.it`s just about impossible to get 103 and 99 sat here so i`m stuck.i never had any problems resetting the ird to 18 round in the past,is it because i`m only getting 18 transponders?any ideas?thanks for any help

2. nelson61

nelson61 SatelliteGuys Pro
    Lifetime Supporter

The guys at the edgecutter forum will know why. They are deep into DirecTV satellites.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

3. ejb1980

ejb1980 SatelliteGuys Pro

If you're using MPEG2 channels, don't bother trying to get them back. All MPEG2 is going away "soon" (2019) and you'll get nothing after that... sorry. MPEG2 is basically SD on 101.

4. slice1900

slice1900 SatelliteGuys Pro

I assume you've lost many of the odd transponders? That's because Directv switched satellites for the odd transponders at 101. Next year they will switch for the even transponders as well, and you will probably not be able to receive anything at all from your location. You need to begin looking for another option, using Directv USA there is not going to work any longer.

5. prop

yeah i kinds figured that.but won`t there be another sat at 101 for the ka band transponders?

6. slice1900

No, Directv isn't using Ka band from 101. They have a license for it, but have never used it for customers and never will - they'd need new LNBs designed to pick that up. They don't need the bandwidth, so no reason to bother with it.

7. prop

so there will be another sat at 101 that is ka along with 103 and 99?

8. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

No. They will convert the encoding to mpeg4 instead of mpeg2, but it will still be ku band.

9. prop

i trying to understand what is going on with 101.i get that all the sd 101 will be gone.so the 101 will be all mpeg 4 hd?i guess the beam will be a lot tighter and not available here?thanks for the help ,i`m just trying to understand whats going on

10. slice1900

101 will have some MPEG4 HD and some MPEG4 SD. As 99 & 103 already do today. It is possible there may be a few MPEG2 SD channels left, for stuff where it doesn't matter like the slates (i.e. 950x polarity test) or music channels.

The beam's shape has nothing to do with whether a satellite is carrying MPEG2 or MPEG4, or HD or SD. It has to do with the satellite's antenna. The antenna is different on the new satellite at 101 than the older ones. One of those older satellites has been replaced by the new satellite (T15) the other older one will also be replaced by T15 next year (T15 and T16 may swap, but they are basically twins so it won't matter) Then you probably won't be able to receive anything from 101 at all. You will need a new provider in Mexico, using Directv from the US simply will not be possible at all.

Separate names with a comma.

More...