dtv tivo now available nationwide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
while checking dtv website this morning about hr34, noticed the dtv tivo is now available through dtv website. cost is $199 for anyone who is interested!

Talked to a rep today, and they will send it to existing customers for a "one time lease fee" of $149, but the current monthly lease fee will remain intact. I am torn about what to do. I am a long time Dtv customer (9 years) and held out on going to HD waiting for tivo (hey, what can I say, I love tivo), until last spring when baseball season started.. They did not charge me any one time fees for my current HD DVR box, which I am told by virtually everyone is superior to the tivo units. But, as I said, tivo is my thing, with the exception of the last 6 months, have had one either for traditional cable or for direct tv standard def since they first came out in the 90s. I'm comfortable with tivo, I've always liked it, and the features that aren't available compared to the Dtv HD DVR aren't important to me - i.e, whole house DVR - I only have one television in my house.. And since it took me until 2011 to get an HD TV at all, I'm certain that I won't be investing in a 3D television anytime soon. Bottom line is, tivo does what I want it to do, and I am comfortable with how it works and is designed, and I just plain like it. But.... $149, and then continued lease fees beyond that? I am okay with the tivo fee, they should get their cut I guess.. But I think I should be able to simply trade my current box in for a tivo box without a "one time" fee. Any advice? Maybe should just go back to cable, but I really like DirecTV, hence 9 years.

Talked to a rep today, and they will send it to existing customers for a "one time lease fee" of $149, but the current monthly lease fee will remain intact. I am torn about what to do. I am a long time Dtv customer (9 years) and held out on going to HD waiting for tivo (hey, what can I say, I love tivo), until last spring when baseball season started.. They did not charge me any one time fees for my current HD DVR box, which I am told by virtually everyone is superior to the tivo units. But, as I said, tivo is my thing, with the exception of the last 6 months, have had one either for traditional cable or for direct tv standard def since they first came out in the 90s. I'm comfortable with tivo, I've always liked it, and the features that aren't available compared to the Dtv HD DVR aren't important to me - i.e, whole house DVR - I only have one television in my house.. And since it took me until 2011 to get an HD TV at all, I'm certain that I won't be investing in a 3D television anytime soon. Bottom line is, tivo does what I want it to do, and I am comfortable with how it works and is designed, and I just plain like it. But.... $149, and then continued lease fees beyond that? I am okay with the tivo fee, they should get their cut I guess.. But I think I should be able to simply trade my current box in for a tivo box without a "one time" fee. Any advice? Maybe should just go back to cable, but I really like DirecTV, hence 9 years.

As someone who payed out of pocket to expand from a "free" HR22 initially installed as a new customer to a HR24,HR23,H25,& H24,I would say that upgrading to a THR22 for $149.00 seems reasonable. That'll probably be the cheapest price you'll find for the box initially. Solid Signal is offering the box for $199.00,& I'm sure that any other third party seller is offering the Directivo for basically the same price. You can wait a few months to see if Amazon or eBay offers the box for a cheaper price,but I think that $149.00 will be the lowest you'll get as a price. I'm sorry,but $149.00 seems like a "small price" to pay(if you have the money) to get the directivo box.

Yippee! They are bringing back the Model-T of DVRs. Let's all go and get the more outdated and least user friendly UI DVR on the market just so we can say we have a TiVo. There is nothing like going backwards with technology.

Sorry, I'll take any HR2x over any DirecTV TiVo any day.

As someone who payed out of pocket to expand from a "free" HR22 initially installed as a new customer to a HR24,HR23,H25,& H24,I would say that upgrading to a THR22 for $149.00 seems reasonable. That'll probably be the cheapest price you'll find for the box initially. Solid Signal is offering the box for $199.00,& I'm sure that any other third party seller is offering the Directivo for basically the same price. You can wait a few months to see if Amazon or eBay offers the box for a cheaper price,but I think that $149.00 will be the lowest you'll get as a price. I'm sorry,but $149.00 seems like a "small price" to pay(if you have the money) to get the directivo box.

I would totally agree if the box would be something that I'd actually own, 149 would be a really good price.

And yes, Dodger, we know, lots of people don't like tivo, it's old fashioned, etc. Those of us who like it are "fan boys". I don't know why it's worth mentioning. If you don't like it, so what?

I was so happy to get rid of my Tivo Premiere and come back to the D* dvrs especially with the new UI. Laggiest POS ever and while Comcast is very good in this area that tivo box was terrible. I can't even imagine going back to one with even less features. To each his own though.

I was so happy to get rid of my Tivo Premiere and come back to the D* dvrs especially with the new UI. Laggiest POS ever and while Comcast is very good in this area that tivo box was terrible. I can't even imagine going back to one with even less features. To each his own though.

Yep... agreed!

My parents have THR22's and love 'em. They are like the old HR10-250's but faster, and a bigger hard drive... and they do On Demand. If that's what you've been waiting for, your long wait is over!

As for me, I had the HR23 with the HD GUI until I moved into a new place and had to drop D* and go back to Comcast. Figured it'd give me an excuse to go back to Tivo and try the Premieres. I must say that with the new v20 software they just pushed a couple weeks ago, it is now better and faster than the D* boxes. Comcast leaves something to be desired though! Particularly with how they just axed every HD premium feed except for the main one "to bring additional HD choices" (because "it's all available On Demand"-whoops! not with a Tivo!)---also their channels are just thrown all over the place, and HD channels are in the 600's while SD's are in the 100's and 200's, except for locals which have HD's in the 100s and SD's on the OTA numbers.

So it all depends... personally, I'm partial to the Tivo... and if you are a D* customer of any long standing, I'm sure you can convince them to give you a decent discount on the Tivo box.

-Nat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts