DTV to broadcast 25 MLB games in 4k

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now if they could only make a receiver capable of playing a linear 4K channel it would be a good thing, but to have to pay for two receivers in order to get one TV to view one channel, probably only appeals to the early adopter.

Reactions: AZ. and mdram
yea i wonder what dish will do next cmon dish what are you guys going to do?

Now if they could only make a receiver capable of playing a linear 4K channel it would be a good thing, but to have to pay for two receivers in order to get one TV to view one channel, probably only appeals to the early adopter.
You act like I won't pay $7 a month to watch some baseball game I don't even care about. :D

Reactions: Mauiguy
I am guessing this will be on Channel 106 just like the Masters Golf was.

I just called and scheduled my upgrade, the CSR I talked to said the MLB games will be on channel 104. He said the 4k channels will be 104, 105 For PPV and 1102 for on demand. We will just have to wait and see how accurate he is. I will post what is available.

they should of done more and let all packages see it and would of liked DirecTV to seen NHL Hockey playoffs in 4K

they should of done more and let all packages see it and would of liked DirecTV to seen NHL Hockey playoffs in 4K
They would have needed the Leafs to make the Playoffs for that to happen. Thus they wrote that off in November. ;)

The Leafs are the only NHL team to have their arena fully set-up for 4k (through Rogers/Sportsnet). I expect 4k to take off next NHL season though, but the question is, will the likes of NBC Sports push for this, or do we have to rely on the NHL network borrowing Canadian feeds and sending them to US markets? (Much like the do with Hockey Night in Canada).

You have to consider many of the NHL arenas are used for multiple sports by multiple networks. For instance, in Boston, you have the Bruins and the Celtics. Regionally one is on NESN, one is on CSNNE. Then you have national broadcasters of the Bruins games (NBCSN and NBC (OTA considerations here)), national broadcasters of the Celtics (ESPN & TNT). This make changing infrastructure a complicated process when it comes to who pays for it, and how it all works on these separate systems. Can you wire a building for 4k, with cameras, and have it work with possibly 6 different networks production systems? And again who pays for all this?

In Toronto, Rogers (TV Provider) owns Sportsnet (the network), and broadcasts/produces both Raptors and Maple Leafs games (exclusivelyish?). Very easy for them to get them ball rolling on 4k. Not to mention The Maple Leafs are the richest team in all of hockey.

Similarly, I would guess MLB is fronting all the money to get 4k set-up for these baseball games, and treating it like a roadshow. They are broadcasting these "from their network" (MLB Network) because they have the rights to do so. Direct TV is more than happy to distribute this, and basically no other US broadcaster can (yet).

This all ties back to my hunch that Cable/Sat exclusive networks are going to (already are) leading the push for 4k.

OTA broadcasters will likely need to be dragged into 4k (remember the mandate anyone?) but cable/sat networks are glad to pass them by and push better tech. Direct TV has proved they will show whatever you give us in 4k (Masters & MLB) but it's up to the networks the produce this content in 4k for Direct to broadcast. Cable/sat networks are much easier to pivot (ESPN) than the convoluted OTA/Affiliate set-up.

Reactions: CK SatGuy
You mention Rogers and the Maple Leafs. Don't forget, Rogers is gonna broadcast all of the Toronto Blue Jays home games in 4K this year. That's 81 games, over 3 times as much as Directv here in America.

In other words, Canada is beating us when it comes to 4K broadcasts.:eek:

You mention Rogers and the Maple Leafs. Don't forget, Rogers is gonna broadcast all of the Toronto Blue Jays home games in 4K this year. That's 81 games, over 3 times as much as Directv here in America.

In other words, Canada is beating us when it comes to 4K broadcasts.:eek:
Yup, and I haven't been able to watch CBC Hockey since the days of Analog OTA from just the other side of the lake.
Use to watch CBC every weekend ... till the US went digital.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts