Dtv & Versus

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wonder if VS will move to the Sport Pack AFTER the NHL Playoffs are over ?
Could it be that they made this deal allowing the NHL playoffs before moving it ?
I don't think that would make business sense. The whole standoff was about distribution, and Versus needing the most possible numbers to meet their year round advertising revenue targets.

The exclusive NHL playoff coverage was their key bargaining chip, and was most likely the driving force behind getting D* to sign a contract.

dumb example

I am waiting to hear if either side releases any leaked information on what was finally decided on as in price
yes the $$$
DTV did not write 6 1/2 checks for ???????
Versus out xxxxx $$
would need lots of numbers to figure this out.

dumb example
you want a dollar more a hour offered .50
you strike for 6 months they give in give you the buck.
if you make $10 a hour your out 1000hr x 10= $10,000 + .50 offered = $10,500

you would have to work 21,000 hours or 10 1/2 years to get even. :eek:

I am waiting to hear if either side releases any leaked information on what was finally decided on as in price

This the best info I've seen so far.

Comcast and DirecTV finally strike deal for sports channel Versus | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

Depending on whom you ask, the issue was either money or platform. DirecTV, the satellite broadcaster with over 18.5 million subscribers, called Comcast "piggish" in wanting a price increase from 21 cents to 26 cents per-month, per-subscriber.

Comcast countered that the fight wasn't about money. It said it was upset that DirecTV wanted to move Versus from a package of channels that reached the bulk of its customers to a specialty tier that reaches 6.3 million subscribers.

Under the new deal, Versus will stay on its current tier, and other terms of the pact are similar to the one that had expired last summer.

Written in the stars...

This was bound to happen sooner or later. I wonder who won the battle, DTV or VRS? Probably settled somewhere in the middle.

IF the VRS blackout involved the Academy Award show, the Super Bowl or something similar, the settlement would have happened in about 30 minutes after the screen went dark (see ABC-cable deal in NY during the Academy Awards).

To paraphrase a line from "A Man For All Season", but for HOCKEY? There used to be a joke that every NHL city had about 15,000 fans TOTAL and another 15,000 NATIONALLY who only watched it on TV. I wanted VRS back myself, but I could care less about hockey.

From what I have read Vs will stay where it is, but they didn't get the $.26 a sub they wanted it sounds like it's still $.21 per sub. Also, it seems like D* used the talks to also come to agreements on other CSN channels that were out of contract CSN Bay Area, California, and NE...no word yet on the other CSN's people have been hoping for. We also don't know about other Comcast/Xfinity owned channels like E! and G4. After D12 goes up possibly those channels could be added in HD.

dumber it gets.

the more i read the dumber it gets.
Versus a year to recoup what they could have lost. but the real 18mil is gone. if that makes cents.
DTV 18mil ahead. lots of bad PR. raised rates in the interim. i keep paying duh LOL
these suits lost me when they quit making Coke.

In reading some of the articles written regarding this, as we had thought the deal was bigger than Vs/D* they also included the deals for FSN NW, RM, Pitt for Comcast and CSN BA, CA, NE for D*. Both sides overall at least to me look like they got what they wanted; renewed deals on popular RSN's and distribution for Vs. We'll have to wait and see if down the line if CSN Philly, CSN NW, and CSS were included in the deal(s). As was reported (rumored) on the other site CSN Bay Area and CA should be in HD full time sometime late April.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)