DTV with no contract / commitment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

QCK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I recently moved into an apartment and it only DTV. I am there for 6 months, is it possible to get DTV for 6 months without a contract?

Also, if possible I'd like to have a Genie as well. I read that if I bought a Genie on say amazon that DTV would considered it a leased unit when activating it, is this true?

Are you saying the apartment complex only offers Directv as part of your rent? I doubt there would be a commitment available under that scenario. If you get a Genie from Amazon or any other "legit" source, it will be a leased unit.

Correct, DTV is the only TV service they offer?

I would think that the Apt complex has a deal with D* and that no commitment is nessasary, but i would verify that with them first, maybe even in writing.

If you get a recvr from D* or Solid Signal or Amazon or any other online type place there will be a commitment involved when you activate it.

Hello I bought a H24 -200 receiver from ebay the seller had posted the IRD number before I bought it I called directv access department to see if it was leased or owned it was owned so I bought it it arrived and all functions worked,called directv access department again and they sent me a access card $20 dollar fee.no contract,I also got a protection plan for it.you will pay more under a no contract plan monthly.I just searched on ebay for owned receiver,becareful when buying a used receiver make sure its owned if you want no contract.

Hello I bought a H24 -200 receiver from ebay the seller had posted the IRD number before I bought it I called directv access department to see if it was leased or owned it was owned so I bought it it arrived and all functions worked,called directv access department again and they sent me a access card $20 dollar fee.no contract,I also got a protection plan for it.you will pay more under a no contract plan monthly.I just searched on ebay for owned receiver,becareful when buying a used receiver make sure its owned if you want no contract.
Very small number of Owned D* recurs anymore .... normally they are formerly used by D* employees.

Very small number of Owned D* recurs anymore .... normally they are formerly used by D* employees.
I wouldn't say that we have the majority of owned equipment.... there's a few accounts out there that automatically own whatever equipment is activated... it's a grandfathered thing. I would actually think that there is a lot more owned equip in the wild than people know. The real issue with it is that most customers don't know if a box is flagged own or lease. And then most techs don't check when they do swaps on upgrades. Lots of the boxes probably end up getting refurbished back into leased units.

Yea like when I bought a H20-600 with EC 2.0 sticker from a store back in 2007 I thought I owned it.find out later that it was leased,I did end up owning it bought it from directv $40 dollars still in service today ,I had that dreadful 771 error checked lnb,cable etc etc,opened it replaced the voltage regulator 7824A on power supply installed heat sink and a small fan runs great.

I wouldn't say that we have the majority of owned equipment.... there's a few accounts out there that automatically own whatever equipment is activated... it's a grandfathered thing. I would actually think that there is a lot more owned equip in the wild than people know. The real issue with it is that most customers don't know if a box is flagged own or lease. And then most techs don't check when they do swaps on upgrades. Lots of the boxes probably end up getting refurbished back into leased units.
Still gotta think that the majority of them are ones that are owned by employees or sold by employees, the number out there that were not related to employees has to be a small percentage.

Correct, DTV is the only TV service they offer?

I would think that the Apt complex has a deal with D* and that no commitment is nessasary, but i would verify that with them first, maybe even in writing.

If you get a recvr from D* or Solid Signal or Amazon or any other online type place there will be a commitment involved when you activate it.

Some advice from a person who had this scenerio (D* is the only option in an apt)
-most likely its a 3rd party like Access media 3. Find out from the apt complex manager
-usually there is no contract if you get the "base" receiver. In my situation anything above that is a 1 year agreement (HD, DVR, HD DVR)
-you WILL have to get the equipment through them (the 3rd party). Directv is not allowed in the buildings to hook up the wiring and the 3rd party has to contact D* to get the account right
-sadly the equipment you have to pay the "regular" rate for the equipment. $99 for HD, $199 for DVR

Reactions: cee
Hey Iceberg,i live in a 5 family apartment in Brooklyn,but weekend home is upstate NY.I have one of the coolest land lords,he even made me put up my C band and a few ku dishes years ago,i took all my dishes to upstate now,the directv dish is in brooklyn where he made me keep it with an ota antenna :) I'm lucky to have a cool land lord.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts