DTV36EDS Directv Worlddirect for FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mroodey

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I recently found a site that was selling a complete FTA setup including a receiver and a DTV36EDS directv dish. Everywhere that I looked seemed to indicate that the LNB that came with this dish was a single polarity. I called the company and they said that was the dish they were selling with all their FTA setups. Well a couple of weeks ago I came across this dish for free and decided to test it out. I set it up and pointed at 97w and scanned in the channels. It brought in both the H and V transponders. The signal strength and quality of the channels was impressive. Tp 11966 H which is pretty weak in my experiance was getting 70% quality strength. This dish has a p170ku+ single output LNB. To point the dish I just used my birdog since I was not sure how setup the skew with the DTV numbering. Afterwards I looked up the settings on from the dish pointer site and the elevation level was coincided with what was on my dish. The skew that I needed for Boise Idaho was -19. On the dish it ended up being almost 70. This seems to be a great cheap dish setup for getting 97w.

We've had some confusions on the forum about what LNB comes with that or a similar dish.
Maybe an earlier model, or from a different supplier had the single polarity LNB ...?

As you noted the LNB you have is pretty standard (and in fact, it IS a Standard), and voltage controlled to select polarity.
See this PDF for more info on the Eagle Aspen P170+ LNB, with C-120 mounting flange.

As to the matter of skew, 90° on the dish scale, is unskewed, straight up, normal, untwisted, or however you care to think of it.
You add or subtract your 19° from 90° to arrive at the proper reading.... which you did. ;)

I recently found a site that was selling a complete FTA setup including a receiver and a DTV36EDS directv dish. Everywhere that I looked seemed to indicate that the LNB that came with this dish was a single polarity..........It brought in both the H and V transponders. .......

We've had some confusions on the forum about what LNB comes with that or a similar dish.
Maybe an earlier model, or from a different supplier had the single polarity LNB ...?

I know nothing about this particular dish, I assume that it's the dish that was used on G3C?
If so, there apparently is also confusion (at least in my mind) about what polarities were used on that sat. A couple years ago, Lyngsat was showing only one DTV-USA transponder on that sat, and they said that it had something like 50-60 international transponders, which was obviously wrong. At one time I checked, and found something like 10 transponders being used by DTV for video channels, including 3 vertical and 7 horizontal transponders. It was a bit confusing to me, because it seemed like in addition to the international channels, there were several regular DTV channels mirrored there. I think that for the most part, the international channels were on horizontal and the vertical were where the mirrored channels were. Most of the transponders had about 10 different channels, although one only had 3, so there were something on the order of 90 or so channels I think, which was considerably more than Lyngsat was reporting. Also, all of the transponders listed in Lyngsat as (at one time) being DSS-Hughesnet were actually being used all or in part for video.
Anyway, DTV was using both polarities on that sat, however it's not clear to me whether the people subscribing to the international channels had access to the vertical transponders, possibly why there were horizontal only lnbfs, but if not, then what were the other transponders used for??? Perhaps they had a deal where international subscribers could get some select US channels along with the international channels if they got a different lnbf?
Whatever WAS the situation, I checked a couple months ago, and it seems like they aren't using the vertical channels for video anymore. I think there was one transponder still up, but there wasn't much on it that I could hear.
Anyway, perhaps the single polarity vs dual polarity lnbfs had something to do with the past use of those 3 vertical transponders. ????

DirecTv only uses the H polarities on 95W

the manual that comes with the 4x4 multiswitch they use to use for that dish (101/95) shows hooking the LNB to the 18v only on the 22k side.

And I thought a while back someone had said it only got one polarity and they had to invert the LNB 90 degrees to use on G18?

...the manual that comes with the 4x4 multiswitch they use to use for that dish (101/95) shows hooking the LNB to the 18v only on the 22k side.
Well, that right there would cripple the whole dish/LNB.
And a newbie might make the mistake the LNB was single polarity.

Next guy who talks about having such a dish, maybe we'll interrogate him thoroughly about the exact model of his LNB, and whether he has the stock switch connected.

But, I do remember someone coming to the forum, and giving a specific model number of an NJR (?) LNB, which we looked up and it WAS single polarity.
In fact, it'd have been right at home on a BUD. !

The model number of my lnb is p170ku+. According to the pdf in one spot it says the p170+ is single polarity. On the manufactures site it says that the P170+ is a dual polarity. I don't know if the KU in the model makes a difference. Also I was not running any switches with this setup just a straight cable to the recieiver. I did not have any documentation for it, just the hardware. I am kind curios what kind of lnb comes with these dishes that are selling on ebay. I guess I will have to ask a seller.

can you use this dish to get G10 at 123W
Has anyone been successful in doing this and are you currently using this setup to get 123w

DirecTv only uses the H polarities on 95W

That seems to be pretty much the case now, but it wasn't the case a year or two ago. And before that I'm assuming that they had used some vertical transponders for that DirectWay internet service. At the time I first saw them, a couple of the transponders I was receiving DSS programming on were listed in Lyngsat as being DirectWay transponders and other times Lyngsat incorrectly had them listed as being used for Brazil, but were actually aimed at the US, carrying A/V, so I'm assuming that they stopped using them for data or whatever, and started putting A/V on them. I have no idea whether it was for internal use or part of some service, but the channels were there. I still have a list of channels I was receiving there, things like ESPN, History, USA, some movie channels, etc, all in all, about 3 dozen channels I think. Right now, the last time I checked, I locked one vertical DSS transponder, but didn't see much of anything A/V on it.
But the point is, that they DID use at least 3 vertical transponders, so there may have been a need for dual polarity transponders at one time, while at other times, maybe they only needed the horizontal only lnbfs. I just thought it might be an explanation for why some people say the lnbfs were single polarity, and other people said they were dual polarity.

hi,

can anyone tell me please, if the world direct 36x24" dish with dual lnbf (1 linear, 1 circular) can be used to pull in 101w.

i think i asked the question quite a while ago, but have still not had time to get a dish set up, and am trying to get a refresher.

can i scrap the 95w ,and use the linear to point to 101w to get 3ABN?

please let me know. my finger is on the button to make the purchase, lol.

3ABN is my goal.

shnippy

You can use the DTV International dish for Ku on any satellite, but it is somewhat undersized for weaker transponders. I would use one if it was free (in someone's trash or given to me), but I wouldn't recommend spending money for one. If you're buying a dish and having it shipped to you, go with a 36". Its a better deal for the money. I'd have the same advice if you were contemplating buying a Superdish.

3ABN is a thunderstick (very strong signal) so you should have no issues with getting it on the World dish

thank you both for the quick replies. i will go ahead and make the purchase.

thanks again. looking forward to getting it all hooked up (well as soon as the weather clears)

thank you,
shnippy

You can use the world direct as I used one to "test" to see what I find befrore I spent money on a new dish and motor. I was worried about my location and it being a waste of money. I was able to pull in everything including 123, BUT IT WAS NOT EASY! The skew on this dish is very important, I have a good sat meter and I was still fighting 123. Your best bet will be to drag a tv and a box to the dish so you can see what your locking into. A motor system is alot easier to set up using common dish pointing skills. But thats just my opinion. My motor recently broke and I am using that same dish to pull in 123, its weak but I got it. It just so happens that I never took the worlddirect down when I put up the motor. YOu can blast away at amc4, 97 and h2 I know I was able to do so. I'm not sure that this will work with motor because of the skew needed. I compared the skew to a 36" fortec and its way different. I think this is because the directway is oval and not round. I'll test this secenaro one I 1) get my motor dish fixed, 2) put up my bird view, 3) find a 4dtv box to sub and so on.

real soon, now . . .

I'll test this secenaro once I
1) get my motor dish fixed,
2) put up my bird view,
3) find a 4dtv box to sub
. . . and so on.
So, basically, what you're saying, is . . . the second Tuesday of next week, huh? - :D

Possibly, but I forgot about re running all of the lines to each room and cleaning up the connections,adding switches, fighting with signal loss and figuring out line amplifers! So it my be on a thursday, which one I don't know. Knowing what I know now if I was a newbie wI would just pop for the new dish, lnb and motor. That cancles out ALOT of what if's.

You can use the world direct as I used one to "test" to see what I find befrore I spent money on a new dish and motor. I was worried about my location and it being a waste of money. I was able to pull in everything including 123, BUT IT WAS NOT EASY! The skew on this dish is very important, I have a good sat meter and I was still fighting 123. Your best bet will be to drag a tv and a box to the dish so you can see what your locking into. A motor system is alot easier to set up using common dish pointing skills. But thats just my opinion. My motor recently broke and I am using that same dish to pull in 123, its weak but I got it. It just so happens that I never took the worlddirect down when I put up the motor. YOu can blast away at amc4, 97 and h2 I know I was able to do so. I'm not sure that this will work with motor because of the skew needed. I compared the skew to a 36" fortec and its way different. I think this is because the directway is oval and not round. I'll test this secenaro one I 1) get my motor dish fixed, 2) put up my bird view, 3) find a 4dtv box to sub and so on.

Skew isn't different,Skewed, on an oval dish. Want proof?Alright. :D

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/95652-motorized-primestar-84e.html

Thats a cool set up, I caint wait to see what else you have been playing with. I am thinking the reason what I saw was the the linear lnb is offset 2 degrees, the reading on the worlddirect was way off the reading on the motor, both poles are pretty close to plum but as always the worlddirect was a trash can find and the bracket could be bent. My angle finder showed a major difference. Even the line of sight appears to be off, like it needs a different refelection angle or something. I pretty much gave up on trying to figure out why until well........ you know.

Thats a cool set up, I caint wait to see what else you have been playing with. I am thinking the reason what I saw was the the linear lnb is offset 2 degrees, the reading on the worlddirect was way off the reading on the motor, both poles are pretty close to plum but as always the worlddirect was a trash can find and the bracket could be bent. My angle finder showed a major difference. Even the line of sight appears to be off, like it needs a different refelection angle or something. I pretty much gave up on trying to figure out why until well........ you know.

I sent you another PM...

:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)