DTV36EDS Directv Worlddirect for FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hi,

can anyone give some pointers on how to set up a simple phase 3 to pull in anything at all?

i have a new Manhattan Skyline 1000 receiver (set to factory default), a new Phase 3 dish ( i know its not meant to be used for fta, but i have heard you can pull in a few channels with it.

i have spent several hours today trying to get it to work, and i can get 69-80 percent signal strength, but zero quality. nothing i do makes a lick of difference in the quality, it is always zero.

almost frustrated, but not quite. i know there are many knowledgeable people on this forum, that dont mind helping, so im asking for help.

im not even quite sure what to enter into the receiver to get it up and running.

the 70 percent signal zero quality, was on 119w.

my zip cod is 98520, and i live right on the washington coast.

can you please give some pointers. i am planning (for a while) to buy a larger dish, but i would like to make sure that the receiver and myself are able to pull in something before, i fork out more money.

thank you all in advance.

shnippy

slap-dash answer:

Well, since this isn't about the World Direct dish, it should probably be in it's own thread.

But, here are the highlights:
- This thread should give you enough info to get NASA & Angel One on Dish 119° bird, circular with no mods.
(set the Local Oscillator to 11250mhz)
- This thread may give you enough info to get WhiteSprings or KIUL by changing the LNB (but both stations may be harder to get these days).
(set the Local Oscillator as appropriate to your LNB: 10750 if you use Standard)

Info in this post is old, and I cannot guarantee it to be 100% accurate today.
( was in a hurry ) - :rolleyes:

thank you very much.

the dish i am looking at purchasing is the 36" world direct. i just wanted to make sure i had enough know how to at least get something from what i have already bought, before i make another purchase.

thank you again, i will give it another try tomorrow.

thanks,
shnippy

welp, still no go. gonna give up on the phase3 (and tried phase1) dishes, and just get a 36" dish.

still 80percent strength yet zero quality. :(

Shouldn't be a problem getting whichever transponder Dish has NASA on @ 119°w.
Those DBS signals are beacons in the sky, with tremendous signal strength.
If I recall, you have to aim the dish a little left or right of the corrected Azimuth for your location.
That's because you will be using not-the-central-LNB.
Put your zip code into any of the sat calculators, and then aim the dish elevation and azimuth as indicated.

It's delicate, but not super-touchy work.

36 inch world direct tv international dish

Hi everyone,
I’m a newbie to fta, I was wondering if I can use my 36 inch World Direct Tv International Dish with LNBFs for 95W and 101W. The dish was originally used for international channel liked Filipino channel. I was planning to get a CW800 and ViewSat MAX HD receivers and Sadoun Digipower SG2100 motor. Do I need to change the dual LNBFs and get the Invacom Quad Polar LNBF? My dish and lnbf is shown on pictures.
Thank you in advance!

DTVWorldDirectDish2.jpg
DTVWorldDirectDish4copy.jpg

Last edited:
... I was planning to get a CW800 and ViewSat MAX HD receivers and Sadoun Digipower SG2100 motor. Do I need to change the dual LNBFs and get the Invacom Quad Polar LNBF? ...
Hi,

I don't know about the dual LNBFs, but I would recommend you avoid getting a Viewsat MaxHD. I had one (briefly) and ended up selling on eBay.

Despite what the Viewsat MaxHD manual says, it does not have blind scan. And if you want DVB-S2 you need an add-in card.

Hi @ brettbolt!

Thanks for the notice, I just read that one of your tread. I'm so lucky that I didn't order that one yet. So, did you get the Coolsat 8100 HD?

You can use the dish with FTA because one of the LNBs is a standard linear LNB (the oval one). I am not sure about swapping lnbs though because that lnb holder is kinda proprietary. I am also not sure you can use a motor because you have to skew the whole dish since you can not rotate the. This dish does work great with a single satellite.

I've never seen a picture of a DirecTV International dish with that LNB combination and holder!
But, the FSS LNB looks familiar, and the feedhorn on it matches the wide dish.
I would not replace that LNB with a QPH-031, as it has a round feedhorn.
So, it won't see the entire dish. :(
The expense of bolting the QPF-031 to the existing feedhorn would make using that dish ridiculous. :mad:

As for skew, if you put the dish on a motor, then the motor takes care of skew.
So, there shouldn't be a problem

I'm not sure how much that dish and existing mount weigh, so I would hesitate to use it on a 2100 motor.
It might be worth exploring some of the threads on this forum (several years old) related to putting heavy Primestar dishes on 2100's, for good ideas.
They included removing the existing mount on the rear of the dish, and making something lighter.
Alternately, consider the 280 or 380 motors from Sadoun.
They'lll handle a bigger heavier dish, and will work better.
And do get a second opinion about the weight/motor/mount question. - :up

Thank you for the reply!
I did some research on my LNBs the circle one is Aspen Eagle Circular DTV32+ Dual output and the oval one is Aspen Eagle Polarity P170+ Single output. Do you think I’m good to go rather than replacing these 2 LNBs to QPH-031? And I’m aware that I can change the LNB holder. And do you know sat I can get if I use these two LNBs with a motor? And oh am taking your suggestions to get a much stronger motor because here in Chicago is always freaking windy.
Thank you once again!

The Eagle Aspen P170+ (which is your Ku LNB) is a single polarity LNB, which is often found on these DirecTV International dishes. It will only get one polarity, so you should probably consider replacing it. This is easily done, as it uses a common C-120 flange. I'd use a Dish FSS Ku-Band linear LNB as a replacement (the stacked linear LNB from a Dish Network Superdish). Since its stacked, there's no polarity switching involved, it simply stacks the horizontal transponders above the verticals and sends them both down the same cable at the same time. If you would prefer a voltage-switching LNB, a good one would be this LNB from a Hughes DirecWay system.

Last edited:
The Eagle Aspen P170+ (which is your Ku LNB) is a single polarity LNB, which is often found on these DirecTV International dishes. It will only get one polarity, so you should probably consider replacing it. This is easily done, as it uses a common C-120 flange. I'd use a Dish FSS Ku-Band linear LNB as a replacement (the stacked linear LNB from a Dish Network Superdish). Since its stacked, there's no polarity switching involved, it simply stacks the horizontal transponders above the verticals and sends them both down the same cable at the same time. If you would prefer a voltage-switching LNB, a good one would be this LNB from a Hughes DirecWay system.

The DirectPC LNB FSS SAT2 looks freaking heavy for my dish. What about the other DirectPC LNB FSS 11.7-12.2 NIB, do they work the same thing? I don't know about the switching thing, I'm still on the learning process about FTA. And I still don't know how to hook up 2 recievers with a running motor on those LNBs. BTW thanks for sharing your knowledge!:up

It's better to ask a dumb question; than to make a stupid mistake!

inyakee -
For a basic tutorial on switches, try our Switch FAQ.
It'll get you started down the right path.
If you can work through it, then helping you fine tune one of the designs to your specific situation, will be easier. - :)

I thought so, too !

The Eagle Aspen P170+ (which is your Ku LNB) is a single polarity LNB,...
In the past, I've been underwhelmed by their spec sheet and how it actually works.
But just now, I looked, and I swear it lists voltages for the two polarities!

... and yes, in another part of that sheet, it goes out of it's way to say the 170+ is single polarity!

Someone send one to Tron and let's find out for sure!!!

The DirectPC LNB FSS SAT2 looks freaking heavy for my dish.

It'll bolt up just fine, its not that heavy. It WILL stick out instead of hanging down, but that's not a problem. I would even put a QPF-031 (the C-120-flanged version of the Invacom Quad giant) on that dish, except for the fact that it would be a waste of talent that would be better used on a larger dish.

In the past, I've been underwhelmed by their spec sheet and how it actually works.
But just now, I looked, and I swear it lists voltages for the two polarities!

... and yes, in another part of that sheet, it goes out of it's way to say the 170+ is single polarity!

Someone send one to Tron and let's find out for sure!!!

I think that they make a specific version of that LNB for use on the International dish, and that's why the spec sheet is misleading about the dual polarity issue. I've seen plenty of conflicting data as well, but it seems most members who have that dish have found the LNB to be single polarity... Which would figure, given DirecTV's apparent fascination with using proprietary, unusable-for-other-applications hardware.

inyakee -
For a basic tutorial on switches, try our Switch FAQ.
It'll get you started down the right path.
If you can work through it, then helping you fine tune one of the designs to your specific situation, will be easier. - :)

Those are awesome diagram:eureka, great job:up! a very helpful for some begginers liked me. Can you give a diagram for multiple receivers with a dish motor? I had a multiswitch Eagle Aspen MS44D (just found out on my attick) because I'm having a hard time how to connect them through my multiswitch.:confused:
Thank you for helping me to put these things together:)

It'll bolt up just fine, its not that heavy. It WILL stick out instead of hanging down, but that's not a problem. I would even put a QPF-031 (the C-120-flanged version of the Invacom Quad giant) on that dish, except for the fact that it would be a waste of talent that would be better used on a larger dish.

If my existing LNB doesn't work I'll give this a try;)

I have the exact same dish - and would agree that it is a little small for good signal on some of the linear sats.
However maybe good news on the Eagle Aspen LNB -
On the linear (oval feedhorn) LNB that came with the dish, the label says -

Eagle
95° KU Feed Horn Assembly with P170KU+ Single output LNB
And it works just fine with both H & V polarity via voltage switching.

Also useful is that the feed horn bolts mate exactly to a Primestar dish feedhorn -
so can use that LNB to replace a non polarity switching P* LNB.
And the performance of the LNB is not bad when used with a P* dish.

I need some help to setup my multiple receiver with one motorized dish. The diagram was originally made by Alone and I did some editing to it. I don't know which one is the correct setup. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• CCI03052009_00000.jpg
    CCI03052009_00000.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 169
  • CCI03052009_00001.jpg
    CCI03052009_00001.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 150
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts