DTVPAL Remote Address Problem

Seadoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Looks like the DTVPAL remote also will control my 508. I tried changing the remote address of the 508 to "4" but it still controls it. I understood that DTVPAL was on "1". Does anybody know what the story is and how to get the DTVPAL not to control the 508?

Don't have a DTVPal remote myself, so I can't tell you what code the remote uses (it could use the dreaded code 0 that will work any dish receiver regardless of set remote #) However, there is a very simple solution in your case. The 508 uses an older UHF remote, not UHF Pro, so the box will listen on both UHF, and IR signals, and the remote sends out both as well. As long as you have the original 508 remote, and the UHF antenna connected to the 508, just put some electrical tape over the IR sensor of the 508 and the problem should be solved. The DTVPal will work with the IR, and the 508 will be using UHF. Good Luck

I think I can confirm that the DTV pal remote does use CODE 0. I reset my 508 to address 2 today because I found my Platinum remote was controlling my DTV pal box in a different room from where the 508 was located(UHF operation of 508). I took the DTV pal remote to the room where the 508 is located and even though the 508 is now on address 2 the DTV pal still controlled it. Using a spare DISH IR remote I set it to address 1 and it operates the DTV pal without affecting the 508 and I now have a universal remote for the DTV pal to control the TV it is connected to. The DTV pal remote now without batteries can go into the box of spare parts.:)

Well after 6 tries I finally got a hold of someone at dish who said this is a known problem. They said that I should have been told this. They said they would look into it some more

I tried 6 layers of blue tape. No joy. I'll put up an index card, to avoid sticky build up from electrical tape.

But now I think I might try using an old 301 remote, if I can set it to 1 and get it to control my JVC TV power switch. Thanks for the idea.

Well after 6 tries I finally got a hold of someone at dish who said this is a known problem. They said that I should have been told this. They said they would look into it some more

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this kind of issue, that's ccorrect that is a known issue from our side, and to solve this issue you should use a 301/311 remote that works better on your dtv pal,

unfortunatly this is NOT really considered a problem
It certainly doesn't look like DISH considers it a problem.
It's been known for a long time, and they still pretend it doesn't exist.
They directly sold units to known Dish customers.
I haven't heard any reliable answer as to whether they'll actually deal with it, either.

most likey never, since it isn't really a problem. I mean, surprise! A Dish remote, operates Dish products. Weird.

Not sure the point of this response. The original point was that dish network remotes are designed to operate different boxes. This one is not since it appears it cannot be set up to only operate the DTVPAL. The other posts have been helpful in understanding the issue. Just trying to figure out this post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)