Dual Co-Ax Question- Self Install of HD-DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Z06

Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
NC
Let me first start by saying...pardon my ignorance :rolleyes:

I'm at my in-laws and they wanted to know if I could hook up a HD-DVR (HR22-100) they just purchased from Costco. I figured, what the heck, can't hurt to try.

So currently they have DirectTv service with a standard HD reciever. From what I recall on my system at home, it requires two coax's run from the dish. Here's where the stupid questions come up...

1) Do we need a specific dish to allow for the DVR service?
2) What type of splitter is required to get two wires into the house?
3) Is it split right at the dish or somewhere else?
4) Do they still pay the monthly "dvr" fee even though the reciever was purchased elsewhere?

Like I said...dumb quesitons, so bear with me!

Thanks

In order:
1. You already have the correct dish.
2. If you are only running one receiver no splitter is needed. Run the dual cable from the LNB (on the end of the arm,,,four outputs..use two) Run this line to a ground block where the other one is, ground it and run the dual cable to the recorder.
3. No splitter for 1- 4 lines. Then all four lines go into a WB6x8 for eight lines.
4. There is a recorder fee but it is for the whole account, not per box.

We don't have dumb questions here...just dumb answers.

Joe

Last edited:
In order:
2. If you are only running one receiver no splitter is needed. Run the dual cable from the LNB (on the end of the arm,,,four outputs..use two) Run this line to a ground block where the other one is, ground it and run the dual cable to the recorder.
3. No splitter for 1- 4 lines. Then all four lines go into a WB6x8 for eight lines.

Joe

Joe, thanks for the quick response. So regardless of if you buy the recorder from DirectTV or elsewhere, you still pay the $6/mo recorder fee. I told that to my inlaws but they didn't believe me. I really dont see the advantage to what they did. 1) Your already paying for the recorder and 2)We still need to buy coax and run the wires through the steaming hot attic. :eek:

I guess I'll call up DirectTV and see if they can work us a deal to get a recorder from them installed! They were kind enough to discount my HDDVR, ship it for free, and install without charge. Who knows, maybe they can do the same for the inlaws. :D

Now I must ask myself, why purchase a reciever elsewhere if your paying monthly anyway's to use the

Let me first start by saying...pardon my ignorance :rolleyes:

I'm at my in-laws and they wanted to know if I could hook up a HD-DVR (HR22-100) they just purchased from Costco. I figured, what the heck, can't hurt to try.

So currently they have DirectTv service with a standard HD reciever. From what I recall on my system at home, it requires two coax's run from the dish. Here's where the stupid questions come up...

1) Do we need a specific dish to allow for the DVR service?
2) What type of splitter is required to get two wires into the house?
3) Is it split right at the dish or somewhere else?
4) Do they still pay the monthly "dvr" fee even though the reciever was purchased elsewhere?

Like I said...dumb quesitons, so bear with me!

Thanks

In order:

Joe

Joe,
He never said what dish he was using, how are you determining that he has the right dish ?
They should have a Slimline, if not they won't get the full use of the recr.
Had they got it from D*, they would have come out and installed the correct dish for free.

Joe,
He never said what dish he was using, how are you determining that he has the right dish ?
They should have a Slimline, if not they won't get the full use of the recr.
Had they got it from D*, they would have come out and installed the correct dish for free.

He stated he had one HD receiver running.....from there I guesses it was an AT-9 or an AU-9.

IF they are running some kind of SWM I am incorrect. It has happened before.

The whole world of DTV marketing is goofey. I didn't want to mention that even though he bought the recorder he was really leasing it for DTV purposes. Each market has different eq requirements and these are changing as we speak. But sending DTV techs out is not always an answer. Sometimes folks want service while they are still young and the HSPs can be a month out on service and installations.

Joe

He stated he had one HD receiver running.....from there I guesses it was an AT-9 or an AU-9.

IF they are running some kind of SWM I am incorrect. It has happened before.

The whole world of DTV marketing is goofey. I didn't want to mention that even though he bought the recorder he was really leasing it for DTV purposes. Each market has different eq requirements and these are changing as we speak. But sending DTV techs out is not always an answer. Sometimes folks want service while they are still young and the HSPs can be a month out on service and installations.

Joe

I must have missed read it, I thought he meant he had one running at his home, but I guess not, so chances are your right, they have a HD capable dish, could be a triple LNB old style that doesn't see the new sats, or it could be the 5 lnb set up, guess we won't know for sure till he tells us !

Joe, thanks for the quick response. So regardless of if you buy the recorder from DirectTV or elsewhere, you still pay the $6/mo recorder fee. I told that to my inlaws but they didn't believe me. I really dont see the advantage to what they did. 1) Your already paying for the recorder and 2)We still need to buy coax and run the wires through the steaming hot attic. :eek:

I guess I'll call up DirectTV and see if they can work us a deal to get a recorder from them installed! They were kind enough to discount my HDDVR, ship it for free, and install without charge. Who knows, maybe they can do the same for the inlaws. :D

Now I must ask myself, why purchase a reciever elsewhere if your paying monthly anyway's to use the

ZO6,

Jimbo has a good point. Regarding the dish you currently use,,,,,,,it should say SLIMLINE on the LNB component case and have three horns ( 5LNB inside) when you remove the two screws on the arm there should be one cable connected and three open ports.

Report back if things are not as I describe.

There was a time when you could go into Radio Shack and many other places and order DTV. The store would arrange the installation and support it. Now DTV is moving all the installation "in house" and things are not always as simple as you would hope.

An afterthought.......if you are moving back to another residence with your recorder you may want to think about a temporary installation with dual cable running out the window and quick ties to keep things neat.

Will you be operating the recorder on your account or adding it to another person's account?

Joe

I must have missed read it, I thought he meant he had one running at his home, but I guess not, so chances are your right, they have a HD capable dish, could be a triple LNB old style that doesn't see the new sats, or it could be the 5 lnb set up, guess we won't know for sure till he tells us !

Sorry I'm confusing things. My wife and I have DTV with an HDDVR at our home. Right now we're at the in-laws, 750 miles away, and they now have an HD receiver. My mother in-law bought an HDDVR receiver and would like me to hook it up at their house.

ZO6,

Jimbo has a good point. Regarding the dish you currently use,,,,,,,it should say SLIMLINE on the LNB component case and have three horns ( 5LNB inside) when you remove the two screws on the arm there should be one cable connected and three open ports.

Report back if things are not as I describe.

There was a time when you could go into Radio Shack and many other places and order DTV. The store would arrange the installation and support it. Now DTV is moving all the installation "in house" and things are not always as simple as you would hope.

An afterthought.......if you are moving back to another residence with your recorder you may want to think about a temporary installation with dual cable running out the window and quick ties to keep things neat.

Will you be operating the recorder on your account or adding it to another person's account?

Joe

The dish says "DirectTV A3 LNBF" , has three horns and has two cables running straight out of it to the house. It's strange how there isnt ONE cable coming out.

They would like to disgard their HD receiver and replace it with this HDDVR. Just information, they also have one other standard definition receiver in the bedroom.

Sorry I'm confusing things. My wife and I have DTV with an HDDVR at our home. Right now we're at the in-laws, 750 miles away, and they now have an HD receiver. My mother in-law bought an HDDVR receiver and would like me to hook it up at their house.

The dish says "DirectTV A3 LNBF" , has three horns and has two cables running straight out of it to the house. It's strange how there isnt ONE cable coming out.

They would like to disgard their HD receiver and replace it with this HDDVR. Just information, they also have one other standard definition receiver in the bedroom.

I think you will be ok.I think that may be a "sidecar" rig. I don't recognize the model number....Jimbo?.... but one line for the SD, one line for the HD and you should have two ports left for the HDDVR. The two recorder lines should connect inside the arm after you remove the LNB.......just run your dual to the recorder.

Joe

Last edited:
I think you will be ok.I think that may be a "sidecar" rig. I don't recognize the model number....Jimbo?.... but one line for the SD, one line for the HD and you should have two ports left for the HDDVR. The two recorder lines should connect inside the arm after you remove the LNB.......just run your dual to the recorder.

Joe

The old sidecar set up was the AT-9 and the new Slimline (at the time) was the AU-9. and there have been newer ones since, some that only require 3 sats as well as some that require only one feed from the LNB's.

I too have not heard of the model dish mentioned, are you sure thats what it says ?
Does it happen to say anything on the reflector itself, like Slimline or anything like that, also , look at the LNB where you bolt it together is usually a label with a model number on it.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)