Dual-format player might be coming!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
LG has decided to drop the BD199 Blu-ray player (displayed at CES) from its spring release lineup and is now considering a dual-format player instead!

According to a memo sent to LG's dealers from consumer electronics sales VP Bob Perry, the dual-format player is planned for late summer/early fall. "In light of uncertainty in this early stage of the market for pre-recorded high-definition optical discs, we have decided not to introduce the BD199 as originally planned for this spring," it says.

That's a very interesting development! Not so long ago Samsung backed off from its dual-player plans, stating it was impossible under licensing terms. But the rules of the game seem to be changing: First, Toshiba has partnered with Samsung, then Sony partnered with NEC... Interesting!

LG has now said it would produce a dual format player! Guess this is the real beginning of the end of the format wars. Now you will be able to get a player and buy what ever format the studio decides to use with the movie.

It would be ironic if the PS3 ends up having a dual format player in it.

It was only a matter of time before someone realized that a dual format player was what people want. I had no plans of buying an HDVD or Blue-Ray player.

But a dual format player definitely has my interest, can't wait to see the cost though. Maybe I will be able to afford one in 3 or 4 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts