Dual Hopper Joey error 1305 and Visibility of Both Hoppers

HDWound

Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Kansas
Hello, this is a great forum and lots of great info.

I had a hopper upgrade done a couple of weeks ago. 2 hoppers, 4 joeys. Running into some issues and tech visit won't be for over another week. Phone support was also unable any solution. Family members are getting peeved because Joey connections report error 1305. Joeys are all connected via coax.

Hopper 1 has one Joey (1) linked to it. Hopper 1 can see Hopper 2 and Joey (1) can see Hopper 2. Joey (1) is intermittently reporting error 1305 - cable connection issue. Resetting Hopper 1 and Joey did not resolve the issue. Out of the blue Joey (1) will start working again.

Hopper 2 has Joey (2) (3) and (4) linked to it. Hopper 2 can see Hopper 1. Joey's 2-4 can only see Hopper 2. Joey's 2-4 intermittently report error 1305 cable connection issue. Of course the 1305 error only seems to occur when family members want to watch TV.

Checking moca signal strength on Joeys - all report 4 bars.

I replaced coax splitters yesterday on my cabling system at an attempt to fix the 1305 problem. No 1305 errors yet.

Assuming coax splitters were the culprit of the 1305 error, why are Joey's 2-4 still unable to see Hopper 1? It would be helpful for them to access programming on Hopper 1.

Both Hoppers have same software 234 and Joey's all have 232. Hopper 1 has wired internet connection. Hopper 2 is connected via wireless connection using an Encore enrxwi-g. All internet connections report testing ok for Hopper 1 and 2.

Is there something simple I'm missing so Joey's 2-4 can see Hopper 1?

Try removing one of the internet connections on the Hoppers. Only one Hopper needs to be connected to the internet for all the other Hoppers and Joeys to to have internet access.

Only 1 Hopper needs to be connected to the internet. Double Hopper connects have been linked to annoying anomalies. I prefer hardwiring to the Hopper but obviously it's dealers choice. Make sure Bridging is on to internet Hopper. After disconnection of internet from Hopper, reboot all units.

If you disconnect the internet from one hopper, then be sure to disable bridging on the Hopper you remove the internet from. Having bridging enabled on a reciever that doesn't have its own BB connection can cause problems.

Thank you for the fast response. Was busy yesterday with family and snowstorm today. Hope to try this out this evening.

Thanks again!

Finally got a chance to check this. Before any changes all Joeys did have picture.
First unhooked internet from Hopper 2. Went in an changed broadband to moca. Made sure bridging was off.
Then went to Hopper 1- turned on bridging. Rebooted after saving.
Went back Rebooted Hopper2. When it came back up it was pulling an internet connection from Hopper1 as it should.

Rebooted Joeys 2-4. Joeys 2-4 now report error 1305.

Hopper 2 under whole home sees hopper 1 and Joey 1. Joeys 2-4 do not appear.
Hopper 1 under whole home sees Joey 1 and Hopper 2.

I've rebooted Joeys 2-4 several times but still get error 1305. Is there anything else I can do/check?

Thanks again.

Now rebooted everything as that seems to be the next step in the process.

Now Joey's 2-4 have picture. They are linked to Hopper 2, but Hopper 1 still isn't available on Joeys 2-4.
Hopper 2 can see Joey's 1-4 and Hopper 1.

I'm right back to where I started. Joey's 2-4 with a picture linked to Hopper 2, but Hopper 1 does not show up.

? Puzzled.

Now rebooted everything as that seems to be the next step in the process.

Now Joey's 2-4 have picture. They are linked to Hopper 2, but Hopper 1 still isn't available on Joeys 2-4.
Hopper 2 can see Joey's 1-4 and Hopper 1.

I'm right back to where I started. Joey's 2-4 with a picture linked to Hopper 2, but Hopper 1 does not show up.

? Puzzled.

What if you unplug hopper 2 from power and leave it unplugged. Then go to the Joey's and see if Hopper 1 appears in the whole home screen and see if you can link.

When I unplug Hopper 2 -- Joey 2-4 show error 1305 when they are rebooted. I reboot hopper 1 and then reboot Joey 2-4 and they show moca connection lost. So some other cable problem or something else?

Plugged Hopper 2 back in again , rebooted Joeys 2-4 now Joey 2-4 have no picture again and error 1305. I've been banned from resetting the Hoppers :)

Maybe if it warms up you will see the problem resolved. The joeys are connected to the Hoppers via the node. I know may share a line and are split but maybe the cold has something to do with it based off of the other posts regarding cold weather affecting the node.

Both hopper 1 and 2 have never lost a signal. So I'm not sure on the cold weather issue. Won't be warmer here until maybe Saturday or Sunday.

After I got signals to Joey's 2-4 back up under Moca yesterday, they all reported a lost moca signal sometime yesterday afternoon. In addition Joey 1 reported lost moca signal as well.

Reboot of Hopper 2 last night would not restore picture to Joey's 2-4 even though signal was reported as "good" on the Joeys. Joey's 2-4 can no longer see Hopper 2. Hopper 2 of course can't see Joey's 2-4 either. Tried resetting network and network connection on Hopper 2 and Joey's 2-4 with the same result.

Reboot of Hopper 1 last night did restore picture to Joey 1 so at least one Joey as working.

Not even sure to tell the Dish tech what to look at this point when they show up next week. The last one could basically install the node and turn on the Hopper & Joey's in sequence and that was about it. Software updates were supposed to fix any problem I had.

43 degrees here today. Ran home and checked system. Hopper 1 and Joey 1 Fine. Hopper 2 fine. Joey 2-4 Moca 1304 error. Rebooted entire system and Joey 2-4 still have Moca 1304 errors.

Surely 43 degrees isn't too cool.

So last night I turned off bridging on Hopper 1, reconnected wireless internet to Hopper 2 , did a power reset and all my Joey's come back up. Joey's 2-4 still can't see Hopper 1. It was 15 degrees outside at the time. Dish is going to bring a new node next week and I'll ask it be installed in my basement.

Advanced Dish tech support knew nothing about any cold weather issue with nodes when I talked to them last night.

Usually when things are being investigated it is being done at an engineering level. Once things are confirmed or maybe still unconfirmed but driving a a lot of call volume, then communication is normally provided to tech agents so that they are aware of what is going on as well as a resolution/work around or ETA...etc. With how small the impact appears to be with this issue so far (based off of the amount of posts here regarding this) and it still being under investigation, I'm sure thats why the agent wasn't aware of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts