Dual LNB, 2 receivers - reception issues while camping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bfla

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have an 18" round dish with a dual lnb. From that I run 2 100' lines of RG6 coax to two separate SD receivers. One line connects to the coax input on my camper that feeds my main tv and the second line connects to a small piece of flat coax, comes through the back window of my camper and connects directly to the second receiver.

Most times, I have significant problems getting both boxes to work at the same time. My last time out for example, I had single strength of 97% showing on both boxes. One would work fine, the other would not. Despite showing 97% signal strength when the box would try to acquire satellite info it would get hung up - switching back and forth between searching for satellite signal and acquiring info from satellite. But it would never actually acquire anything. For the life of me I can't understand why it would show a 97% signal strength and then say it was searching for satellite signal.

I tried everything from switching location of the boxes to replacing the actual LNB with one from my buddy's set up. Still had same problem. I even borrowed my buddy's receiver, still same problem. Finally I switched the 2 coax lines at the LNB (traded places) then suddenly both receivers worked. A few times after that I would lose one of the receivers and have to reset it and/or reauthorize the card.

We are heading out again this weekend and I am looking for some advice to try and prevent this from happening again. Since I have ruled out the receiver and the lnb as sources of the problem, is it likely the coax perhaps? Just looking for some thoughts and inputs before I purchase additional coax that I might not need. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have an 18" round dish with a dual lnb. From that I run 2 100' lines of RG6 coax to two separate SD receivers. One line connects to the coax input on my camper that feeds my main tv and the second line connects to a small piece of flat coax, comes through the back window of my camper and connects directly to the second receiver.

Most times, I have significant problems getting both boxes to work at the same time. My last time out for example, I had single strength of 97% showing on both boxes. One would work fine, the other would not. Despite showing 97% signal strength when the box would try to acquire satellite info it would get hung up - switching back and forth between searching for satellite signal and acquiring info from satellite. But it would never actually acquire anything. For the life of me I can't understand why it would show a 97% signal strength and then say it was searching for satellite signal.

I tried everything from switching location of the boxes to replacing the actual LNB with one from my buddy's set up. Still had same problem. I even borrowed my buddy's receiver, still same problem. Finally I switched the 2 coax lines at the LNB (traded places) then suddenly both receivers worked. A few times after that I would lose one of the receivers and have to reset it and/or reauthorize the card.

We are heading out again this weekend and I am looking for some advice to try and prevent this from happening again. Since I have ruled out the receiver and the lnb as sources of the problem, is it likely the coax perhaps? Just looking for some thoughts and inputs before I purchase additional coax that I might not need. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

It could be a combination of the length of the cable and the flat connector you are using, although these are issues more associated with hd setups. Have you tried using shorter cables and no flat connector cable, at least temporarily?

Sounds an awful lot like a DC power issue if switching the wires at the LNB makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure that raoul5788 is onto something with the cabling concern. I'd make sure that the barrel connectors and flat cable are up to the RG6 power capacity and insure that you label which cable goes to which LNB port when you figure out the right combination. Control voltages fading in and out could lead to the kinds of problems that you're having.

If it's a DC power issue, would an in-line satellite amplifier help? Maybe one for each line? I am going to pick up a couple of 50' coax cables to try as well. Depending on the location of the dish sometimes I need to use 2 100's....

The other thing to check is the line connected to the RV input. Bet there is a splitter in there. See if you are missing transponders. If so bypass the splitter with a barrel connector.

Also +1 on the flat cables. They work but are sensitive to dings...............so is RV cabling. Check the lines for rat and rodent bites.

Joe

The other thing to check is the line connected to the RV input. Bet there is a splitter in there. See if you are missing transponders. If so bypass the splitter with a barrel connector.

Also +1 on the flat cables. They work but are sensitive to dings...............so is RV cabling. Check the lines for rat and rodent bites.

Joe

There is a splitter which I had to bypass with a barrel connector in order to get the satellite signal to the main tv. I think I will get a new flat cable and some new RG6 as well but would the in line amplifiers help me at all as well?

Amplifiers for RF boost signal, not DC voltage -- they will not help if low DC voltage is the problem. The only solution is to find out what's shorting things out.

Bypassing all barrels and short cables is the first step. Checking that there ISN'T continuity between the center conductor and the cable shield couldn't hurt either.

Update

2 new 50' RG6 cables and both receivers working great. Thanks to all for the responses.:up

note sure but my guess is the cables as the connections did not appear to be compromised

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts