Dual OTA tuner not as Sensitive as old Single Tuner and gets very Hot

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
With the release of the U235 software for the hopper with sling receivers, I purchased one of the new dual USB tuners to compare with my existing Dish OTA Digital Dongle. The new tuner is much smaller than the old dongle. Since I live in Plain City, Ohio, I receive stations from Columbus and Dayton Ohio. The old tuner received 44 stations. The new tuner receives 35 stations. I am missing channels 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 from Dayton, 45-1, 45-2, 45-3 from Dayton, and channels 53-1, 53-2, 53-3 from Chillicothe.

Some of my Columbus stations went from 100% signal to 82-83% signal.

I wonder if the new tuner is splitting the existing signal between the 2 tuners. That could explain why the signal is less resulting in my losing the channels that had a weaker signal.

I will probably go back to the old single tuner so that I can get channel 53-1 (CW network) back.

When I went to remove the new dual tuner, I found that it gets very hot. It was almost too hot to hold. The old tuner was not hot at all. For owners that are worried about heat, the new dual tuner generates a lot of heat.

Reactions: navychop
I tried 4 different scans and found 35 channels, 33 channels, 35 channels, and 35 channels. I then reinstalled my old single tuner and got back the 44 channels. I am more concerned about how hot the new dual tuner got. My old tuner was always cool. This new dual tuner was very hot. Can other owners check the temperature of the new dual tuner? I am interested to find out if my dual tuner is the norm or did I receive a tuner that is defective.

The serial number of the Dual-OTA USB Adapter is 13784653. It is a product of Malaysia. I think that the part # is 212553.

Hopefully, someone from Dish can provide more information.

Mine gets hot too. So I make sure it is getting air on all sides, to dissipate as much heat as possible.

I am disappointed with the sensitivity of this tuner as well. My 2016 LG TV not only picks up more channels, they are much more stable using the LG tuner. With the Dish tuner I regularly receive a "Signal has been lost" message; it then tries to find it again, which it usually does, but this repeats so much that I give up and switch to my LG TV tuner. I mainly get this message on high VHF channels, but I can't be certain that has anything to do with it.

Unfortunately the CUI does not have an option to manually add channels. If they are not detected in the scan, you are out of luck. I would like to add the UHF version of some of the channels because they appear to be more stable than their high VHF equivalents. Maybe the programmers at Dish will give us the option to manually add channels in the future. Maybe "soon"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)