dual receiver and PVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

flyswatta

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I have a dish 322 that I've integrated into my PVR (a PC running software to record tv). I have 3 tuners in my PVR: one to the dish 322 TV1, one to the dish 322 TV2, one to a Hughes HIRD-E86 (for OTA HD). The Hughes setup fine and I'll drop it from any further discussion here.

The problem I'm running into is changing channels. I can IR blast the dish 322 TV1 just fine but I have to set timers on TV2 (and apparently it uses UHF with no IR capability and no one has found a way around this). This was working okay for a while, but management of the timers gets to be a pain when they start switching programming around.

Call me kooky, but do you guys think this would work: I have an old dish 301 that someone gave me - could I hook it up instead of the TV2 on the dish 322 (do I have to get it activated?), get a UHF-to-IR kit (the tv is in another room so I need the UHF) and then ALSO have a separate IR blaster (from my PC) to change the channel on the dish 301? This would let me change the channel via UHF remote OR via the PC.

Are there any downsides to using the 301? Is it too old or lacking major features? Will dish network allow me to activate it? It has a smart card, but I don't think it's active.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

I have a dish 322 that I've integrated into my PVR (a PC running software to record tv). I have 3 tuners in my PVR: one to the dish 322 TV1, one to the dish 322 TV2, one to a Hughes HIRD-E86 (for OTA HD). The Hughes setup fine and I'll drop it from any further discussion here.

The problem I'm running into is changing channels. I can IR blast the dish 322 TV1 just fine but I have to set timers on TV2 (and apparently it uses UHF with no IR capability and no one has found a way around this). This was working okay for a while, but management of the timers gets to be a pain when they start switching programming around.

Call me kooky, but do you guys think this would work: I have an old dish 301 that someone gave me - could I hook it up instead of the TV2 on the dish 322 (do I have to get it activated?), get a UHF-to-IR kit (the tv is in another room so I need the UHF) and then ALSO have a separate IR blaster (from my PC) to change the channel on the dish 301? This would let me change the channel via UHF remote OR via the PC.

Are there any downsides to using the 301? Is it too old or lacking major features? Will dish network allow me to activate it? It has a smart card, but I don't think it's active.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
301 receiver is old probably refurbished i hate the software interface on it as far as channels u see the same picture
you wont be able to install it cuz the same line wont work you need a seperate line coming from the dish
the line you have there now is coming from the 322 TV2 out through a diplexer into the same line coming from the wall to the 322 back to the J-box i am guessing and then to the second tv
but u can call dish to see if that 301 receiver has any bills past due on it, if not and its clear you can tell them to set u up for an apointment for some one to come out and hook it up for u and charge u $99 i beleive plus $5 a month for it
and u will not need a uhf to ir anything just check if ur IR blaster reeches the room that will host the 301

They'll charge me $5/month if I have my own receiver?!?!? I'm already paying for the service, why would I have to pay extra for equipment that I own?

Anyway, thanks for the info. It sounds a little more complicated (and expensive) than I wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts